Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some ameriglo sites in the mail and I cant wait to put them on. Can i just use a brass punch and put them on myself? Or do i need a armorer to do it? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not familar with the sights you mention but you risk damaging the tritium vials using a hammer and punch.

If they are a solid steel sight most likely they will require fitting with a sight file to the individual guns dovetails.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
skycrane,

have an armorer/gunsmith do it for you using a sight pusher. It is possible to do w// a punch set, but if the sight is the slightest bit oversize on the dovetail, you run a big risk of damaging both the sight and the slide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How did your sights turn out? I used a punch to press out my factory sights, but the AmeriGlo front sight was way too loose and slid right out. I have since been told to try a little Blue Loctite, or Permabond 910 (xtreme superglue) to keep it in place. I'm very curious how the smith got yours to stay in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
MSG,

While "Blue" Loctite {#232} is excellent stuff, it has no adhesive qualities. {Remember it's a "thread-locker"}
You might try Loctite "Green" {#609} "retainer" as it is specifically recommended by the maker for dovetail & Tritium sights and will join the two metal surfaces in ca. 10 min. {be sure the surfaces are squeaky clean as oil weakens any Loctite bond}

Red {#638} is a step above and is considered max strength and permanent requiring heat to remove the part/sight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I dropped the gun off yesterday. My gunsmith said that hes seen these sites break upon install and he warranties nothing. I guess i will have to wait and see. I will be pissed if they break, I bought them off this site. They were the karma prize. I will let you know how they turn out.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Skycrane thats a terible gunsmith that wont warrent his work. The Ameriglos wont break unless you bang on them with a large sledge hammer. The vials Ameriglo uses are from Trijicon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just used a little permabond metal adhesive and it worked perfectly. I thoroughly cleaned the dovetail and applied a few drops. The front sight is now in there very secure, and the sights seem pretty bright, so I am pleased.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Since we've lost a lot of the "search" posts, I'll post this again:

If you have a sight, front or rear, that is loose in the dovetail: get a spring loaded center punch. Put 3-4-5 "dings" in the base (the flat part) of the dovetail, thus raising up a little metal around each "divot" In most cases, this will tighten up the sight against the angles of the dovetail and the sight will stay put. I don't like using any kind of adhesive or lock-tite if I can help it, because I sometimes need to make minor windage adustments to my sights.

If sights are too tight, remove a little metal from the bottom OF THE SIGHT by drawing the sight across a fine toothed flat file A LITTLE AT A TIME. Do not go filing on the dovetail on the slide. If you really mess up and remove too much metal, it's easier (and cheaper, in most cases) to replace the sights than the slide :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I understand the staking of the front sight but I did not want to mar the front part of the slide in any way. If you need to make adjustments the rear sight can be moved by loosening the tensioning screw. I guess it is all a matter of style. My sight was pretty loose so I don't know if raising divots would have been enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts