Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone used the PC software package called LASR ( Laser Activated Shot Reporter ) ? It looks awesome for training with a SIRT ( Shot Indicating Resetting Trigger) pistol.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The software looks like it would allow for fun and functional training in-home. No experience, but very interested.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Picked it up yesterday.

Short version. Go for it. Best money I've spent on training outside of a really good class in a while. Just last night alone I got more than 500 trigger pulls in, so it pretty much paid for itself immediately.

Here's the longer version of my first impressions:
I just bought the license for the LASR software (stands for Laser Activated Shot Reporter), which uses a webcam to give you similar functionality to one of the Laserlyte or other brand laser targets to use with your laser trainer. Now, I love my laser trainer cartridge. It's really good for practicing first shot from concealment. After a week of playing with it, my average group size from 25 feet dropped by a half inch or so (totally non-scientific), and moved to be centered, instead of pulling right (I'm lefty). It's really good especially since I get a lot more trigger time, and considering the number of "shots" I've fired, I've saved myself close to 1000 dollars in ammo over the last month. Obviously cannot replace range time, but sure helps as a supplement for when you cannot make it in, or can't find the ammo.

But it gets old shooting at things in your house pretty fast, and that's where LASR comes in.

I had been thinking about getting the Laserlyte target, since I wanted to assess my grouping size. Then I read about the LASR software, and since it's actually comparable in price or cheaper, assuming you have a webcam already, and offers a lot more nuance, I figured it was probably a better buy. Boy was I right. I love this thing already. I haven't had this much fun with a firearms accessory in I don't know how long. Would be even better with a SIRT pistol, but I want to practice with my PPQ or XD, not some Glock.

The function is fairly simple. Once you've purchased your license and installed the software on the computer you plan on using, just aim your webcam at a wall with a fairly consistent (and I find somewhat dimly lit works best) light on it. Then you use the tool to draw target areas in. I've currently configured it with 5 fairly small targets, anywhere from an inch to 3" across, and set it up to make a gunfire noise and a metal clang when I "hit" the target. I've also got it set up to call out the number of the target to shoot, and can even set it up so it takes a semi-random number of hits to eliminate, although that would be more useful with a SIRT laser setup than one that you have to rack for every shot. I get a lot of tap-rack drills in with the Laserlyte setup though.

You have a lot of ability to modify the software to fit your training needs. It's very flexible, and can accommodate a variety of different drills, and I think will help me with my accuracy at the range. I'm going to try to set it up next to work with a wireless headset so I can have the feel of having hearing protection on too.

The other thing I wanted to mention is how stellar the folks at Centrolutions have been. They always respond to email queries from the Contact Us link on their site within 24 hours, and have been very helpful at quickly resolving any issues I've had, from wanting to place a backorder, to facilitating the arrival of my license before my backorder was filled so I could start playing with the software. Everything has been handled very professionally and quickly, and utterly to my satisfaction.

Anyways, if you're looking to supplement your training with your Walther with the ability to set up a mini-range and practice trigger control and a lot of your other fundamentals at home, you could do a lot worse than the LASR software. I'm very impressed so far, and utterly addicted. Definitely the best money I've spent on training accessories outside of a class, and with a lot of repeatable use and value.

Disclaimer: I'm not at all affiliated with the company or companies involved with these products, and am a fairly new shooter. I've attended a few classes, and shoot around 200-300 rounds a month.

A few more remarks from my experience today: The LASR software is hands down a better purchase than a Laserlyte or other brand target. You can configure up to 9 different targets, and use the the backdrop tool to track misses. I like that you can have it play a gunshot noise, and with over-the-ear headphones, it feels like I'm wearing hearing protection. You can use diagnostic mode to help assess weaknesses in your followthrough and trigger pull, have it keep track of shots so you have to reload, and run a bunch of other drills. It tracks split times, and you can set par. There's a lot of options, so it's really worthwhile to watch the full tutorial, because, especially with a SIRT pistol, you can do a LOT of different drills, be they drawing from concealment, moving, shooting for speed or accuracy or both, etc. You really can set up a full tactical simulator pretty easily.

I'm kinda rambling, so I'll stop now, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'd be very surprised if you didn't think it was absolutely worth the purchase price though. In many ways, I can do a lot more types of practice with LASR than I can at the range.

I also ordered a SIRT AR laser bolt, since you get a slight discount ordering them together, and they have competitive prices. I'll keep updating once the novelty wears off and I'm not doing the "kid with a new toy" thing, but right now, I think it's one of the best things I've purchased to help myself improve, and will save you literally thousands of dollars in ammo costs.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<Definitely the best money I've spent on training accessories outside of a class, and with a lot of repeatable use and value.>

Wow !! Didn't take me long to get online and purchase the LASR software to go with the SIRT pistol I have. AMAZING possibilities!! I know, I know.... No recoil management required, but I can get that on the range. For building muscle memory and smoothing out trigger control, the feedback and limitless scenarios of the combined systems are just fantastic. Thanks for "rambling on" !!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Thanks for the great review, crimsonfalcon! While there is no recoil, there is the chance to do move and shoot drills in your home, which seems like a pretty awesome training opportunity. You have the Laserlyte cartridge? Sounds like that is working well for you, too.

Reactions: JRM

·
Registered
589 Posts
Glad it was helpful. Although of course there's no recoil, you'll still quickly be able to spot flaws in your shooting technique from the placement of the laser, and the movement of the laser. It's fairly hard to stay on target if you don't have a good grip and stance, so I find that recoil management doesn't take much work at the range.

Also, I don't know about your range, but the ability to have it call targets, have it take a random number of shots for them to go down, etc, all add facets to my training besides movement that I can't really do at the range. You can even use the backdrop target functionality as the primary target to shoot at partially obscured targets, which I think is pretty cool. I set up the main target areas to sound like misses, and the backdrop to sound like a hit. It doesn't score the same way, but it's still helpful.

The Laserlyte cartridge has definitely been a hit, and would also work very well in a DAO pistol. I like the ability to train with my primary carry piece, and, while followup shots aren't possible, I try to get in a reload and type-1 malfunction drill in fairly frequently (usually through the random reload calls).

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The LASR software has a LOT of bells and whistles so I was a little overwhelmed with what all the various settings actually controlled. I found a great series of videos on YouTube that were done by "nltshooting" They are done by a LE instructor probably to help other trainers become familiar with the software and how to use the features. It helped me a lot. BTW - I don't work for any of these companies either, I am just having fun with what the technology can do.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice, I'll have to check those out. It does have a lot of functionality. I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface. What do you think so far?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been very pleased so far. The LASR software alone is not very expensive for the value it gives. Any shot activated Laser will work with it including AR bolt inserts. I am doing a first try here of uploading a couple of pics of a range set-up in the junk end of my barn. This is just for an example of the types of things you can do AND get feedback on hits, misses, time and save it all for comparisons over days, weeks, months.......
The white plates are a "plate rack" and you can see ( I hope ) a variety of other targets that can be shot in any sequence or distance you want. I don't believe the software can track moving targets, but you the shooter can be moving.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Highly recommend you picking up a copy. Great for training etc. I put it on my laptop and I can take it on the go and train at a buddies house etc. Set up different scenarios in matter of a few clicks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Highly recommend LASR and a SIRT Pistol. The software is really well done and a great price for all that you get. I also purchased an infrared web camera also to use my infrared SIRT pistol. This way I'm not distracted by the laser light on the targets and can focus on my sights and techniques. Glad to see other members are using it too. By practicing a couple times a week for the last few months, I noticed improvement in speed and accuracy on the live fire range. Definitely a very good investment! Here's a picture of my dry fire targets that I use with the LASR software and SIRT pistols.
Joe'sDryFireTargets2014-08-16.jpg

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A whole training range right there in a compact set-up!! I'm sure that works GREAT !! It's impressive that you can change the pictures out based on your current "feelings". :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, you can make it as simple or as complex as you desire. I was considering changing some of the faces to politicians but...

What's also nice is you can make it as simple as just taping a piece of paper to the wall for your target. If you're too lazy to do that, you can pick things already on your wall such as a light switch or a picture of your in-laws. Using the LASR software you draw outlines around things you want to designate as targets and it watches for your laser light to appear in just those areas.

The software has a built in shot timer so you can see how your speed is from the holster, and your splits, etc.

It has a variety of start commands that you can select to hear such as the typical competition timer Beep, "Threat", "Targets!", "Fire!", and the ever popular, "Evil Clowns!"

WIth so many features in this program there's something for everyone, from your basic shooter to steel challenge competitor. Their website has a couple videos that give a pretty good overview.

PS: I'm not affiliated with them. Just a fan of their product!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just got the software and some laser ammo inserts ordered yesterday and I have to say that so far the customer service has been great. They have discounts available for qualified instructors as well as a discount for buying hardware and software together. It's not huge, but every bit helps.

I installed the software and the licensing is a bit limiting since it ties to your physical computer. Installing it on a laptop or tablet is highly recommended unless you want to lug your desktop around with you.

I tested the software with a laser pointer to get a feel for the capabilities and so far it is very encouraging. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do once my laser ammo gets here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts