Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a very simple single stage press. Which one do you guys like the best? RCBS Rockchucker, Lee Classic or something else? I don't need to load 500 rounds per hour so that's why I'm going the single stage route.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I have a RCBS Rockchucker and a RCBS Junior. The Rockchucker is more heavy duty and will serve you well.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I use the RCBS rockcrusher II and it's great. Very strong and solid.
Once you get smooth with it, it won't even seem slow to you.

You DO need a volume powder measure, don't be using a scale to weigh every load, that is SLOW.

I load precision .308 and .44 magnum on mine.
I use a Dillon Square Deal B for .40 and .45ACP.

If you are doing pistols only, you should get a Dillon Square Deal B, $340 including one set of dies. A bargain on a great press. They are hard to find used, most people will never sell theirs.

You can sometimes find good single stage presses used for really cheap, some guy getting out of reloading. That's your best deal, they usually throw in dies and powder and stuff too.

Welcome to reloading, the best decision you've made lately (except for your Yes vote for Lord Barry of course).

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Lee Classic is a ok press. It will take a long time to set up and reload a large amount of rounds. It is a good way to get are feet wet and start reloading. I would rather have a Dillon 550. Look for a Dillon on ebay, a friend of mine found a good deal. Lee dies are good.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tard, I know you're going to think "WTF is wrong with this guy" but I had a Dillon 550 and HATED it!!! Too much stuff going on for me in the progressive units. I never felt comfortable with the way it despensed the powder...I was always horrified of a double charge.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IMO, buy the biggest, most robust single stage you can afford. That would NOT be a LEE. The readon, no matter where your reloading takes you, you'll always use a good single stage. You may want to form cases or load large bore rifle cases in the future. Both require a large "window" or press opening & leverage. The RCBS RCII is a great press, will be going strong long after you are dead & gone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tend to agree with fredj338 when it comes to Lee products, but in the case of the Lee Classic Cast Press, it's a very solid press at a very good price. The primer disposal system is cleaner than the RCBS, too.

I prefer the RCBS Rock Chucker for leverage and overall quality, even though sizing .308 size cases on the Lee CCP is no problem at all.

I have a Lee CCP mounted on my reloading bench and it gets used as often as the Dillon 550B.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have had an RCBS Rockchucker for years now and it is still as good as the day I bought it. You can get a reloading kit with the Rockchucker that comes with the 505 scale, uniflow powder measure, priming tool, a good reloading manual and basically everything you need to get started reloading but the dies, powder, primers and bullets.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Tard, I know you're going to think "WTF is wrong with this guy" but I had a Dillon 550 and HATED it!!! Too much stuff going on for me in the progressive units. I never felt comfortable with the way it despensed the powder...I was always horrified of a double charge.

I haven't used the 550B, but the SDB is very good and I've never had a problem with it... you do kinda gotta learn to trust the powder measure, there are safeties built in to prevent it from double-charging.

That's why they make so many different kinds of guns/reloaders/cars, etc.
Everyone likes something different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The new Lee Anniversary single stage press kit seems like a hell of a deal. What seems to be everyone's negative thoughts about this kit? I have recently decided to get into reloading and am looking for the same thing lora84 is.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
The new Lee Anniversary single stage press kit seems like a hell of a deal. What seems to be everyone's negative thoughts about this kit? I have recently decided to get into reloading and am looking for the same thing lora84 is.
I only mentioned the Rockchucker because I have one. I've never used the Lee's and who knows, if I did I might like them. Tough to have an opinion if you never used the product!

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I have a Lee 4-Hole Turret and am very happy with it. You can use it as a single stage press too, which is a great option.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The powder measure is ok but the scale is crap. I would buy the press separate & pick up a Redding or RCBS measure & Dillon or RCBS scale.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a Lee Turret that I started out on and it worked great. I did removed the auto index so I could manually index and do in batches. This allowed me to deprime/size, then I would prime with a Lee auto prime, then charge on an RCBS powder throw and then go back to the press. This seemed to work really well for loading moderate amounts.
I also added a Lee Classic Cass in order to load rifle rounds. I find this much more accurate since the press is very solid and I can be more consistent on everything. I also don't shoot a ton of .308's at any single visit to the range so I don't make taking a little more time.
My latest press is a Dillon 550. I only load .45 acp on it so far but I love it. Very quick and reliable (in my experience so far). It is a larger investment so I would make sure you're going to continue to reload for a long time before I bought one but I still use my lee dies. Changing calibers can be a little more time consuming but if you load large batches it's not a huge deal for me.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The Lee Classic is a ok press. It will take a long time to set up and reload a large amount of rounds. It is a good way to get are feet wet and start reloading. I would rather have a Dillon 550. Look for a Dillon on ebay, a friend of mine found a good deal. Lee dies are good.

i use my Lee kit all the time and NEVER have had a problem. It depends on what you are looking for as to what you buy. For me, a single stage is just right....

The Dillon RL550B...looks like a good press but the $406.95 BEFORE SHIPPING price tag defeats that for me (looking at it in the new "Blue Press" catalog that came yesterday)....there is NO savings in reloading if it takes forever just to pay off the press you buy.

I am reloading at a cost of about $150 for the whole setup I have...oh...and I have reloaded enough that my press is paid for, wouldn't be able to say that with the blue 4x as much press....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The powder measure is ok but the scale is crap. I would buy the press separate & pick up a Redding or RCBS measure & Dillon or RCBS scale.
My scale works just fine, is very easy to set up and when checked against others is very accurate. The scale is designed to be easily zeroed so if it should ever get bumped....others are not like that.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
i use my Lee kit all the time and NEVER have had a problem. It depends on what you are looking for as to what you buy. For me, a single stage is just right....

The Dillon RL550B...looks like a good press but the $406.95 BEFORE SHIPPING price tag defeats that for me (looking at it in the new "Blue Press" catalog that came yesterday)....there is NO savings in reloading if it takes forever just to pay off the press you buy.

I am reloading at a cost of about $150 for the whole setup I have...oh...and I have reloaded enough that my press is paid for, wouldn't be able to say that with the blue 4x as much press....
It's all relative to how much you shoot & what calibers. I used to shoot 2K-3K 45colts a month. Took me about 3mths to pay off my 550B & all the other gear, including a proper scale.:mrgreen: An investment of $150 can be paid off in 1mth of shooting, depending on the caliber. So a 550B, loading say 10mm or 41mag or 45colt, see what I mean?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts