Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I would think given that the striker is always cocked that it is technically a single action only handgun. But the trigger does have a long trigger pull like a double action only glock. It really is a single action only gun pretending to be a double action only gun. :lol:

mcb

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It's not a double action, because pulling the trigger does not cock back the striker.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Apparently the ATF says it is a single action. And what double action gun can you take down to 1lb trigger pull?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Defining The XD
The XD is correctly classified as a single-action design, meaning it is fully cocked by racking the slide. Most single-action autos have manual safeties, but the XD's Croatian designers eliminated the need for such safeties by adopting the Glock-type trigger safety as well as an internal firing-pin block. They also added a grip safety. The XD is a very safe design, but its single-action designation has confused some. The XD is a true single-action internally but externally operates more like a double-action-only handgun. There are no manual safeties to disengage beforehand, and the trigger takeup has the feel of a light (very light) double-action pull before reaching a final single-action release. OK, I'll say it. The XD operates like a Glock with a grip safety. As with the Glock, the trigger design does not fit any traditional classification, so Springfield coined its own terminology and dubbed it the USA (Ultra Safety Assurance) trigger safety.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
In my opinion its considered double action unless you have a trigger job from Rich.

Between the long ass trigger pull that is of DA length and weight that in itself is enough for a DAO striker fired pistol.

Now, cock your empty pistol, feel the cocking indicator with the other hand, pull the trigger. The striker indeed does move back just before the firing pin is released, its less than 1/32" of an inch movement but it does move back.

I know, its hard to tell, as the sear is released just as it begins to come back but the fact remains that its not completely single action.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
If they say its double action they have never handled an XD.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Since IPSC prohibits single-action only handguns for Production Division (first shot must be double-action) and both the HS2000 and the XD are on the IPSC approved list for the Production Division, the XD must be double-action, right? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
245 Posts
The XD40 is typically considered a single action pistol. There is apparently about 1% of the remaining cocking required during trigger pull. Or - the XD is 99% cocked before you pull the trigger. I thought it was 100% until I read an article written to specifically cover the changing meaning of "double action."

For comparison, the Glock is about 1/3 cocked before the trigger pull. A 2/3 cocking motion is required during trigger pull before the sear releases the firing pin. Thus it is considered a double action by many police departments. However, it is not a double action like the original meaning, where near to 100% of the cocking motion is accomplished with the trigger before the sear releases the hammer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
SINGLE ACTION WITHOUT A DOUBT

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is the result of some research I just finished on the DA/SA topic as applied to the XD. Some of you guys will probably yawn when reading this as you already know it and have heard it a thousand times. This is for the newer members, that like me, have much to learn.

HISTORICAL MEANING of DA/SA
Originally, in the 1800s, revolvers were classified as either "thumb-cocked" or "trigger-cocked". The pistols could do one or the other, but not both. Eventually, trigger-cocked revolvers fell out of favor. So some ingenious designer decided to create a revolver that would do both types of cocking. This new style of pistol was referred to as "double-action" because they could be cocked two ways.

• - Double-action originally meant "it can be cocked two ways."
    - Thumb-cocked was replaced with the term "single-action." But single-action used to mean "either thumb-cocked or trigger-cocked, but not both."
    - Double-action has come to mean what was referred to as "trigger-cock".
    - DAO (Double Action Only): This term, as applied to modern handguns, would have caused our forefathers to scratch their heads. They would have probably rejected the idea as illogical. They would have said it's either double-action or single-action, and you mean "single-action." Then they would have asked "which type of action do you mean? Trigger-cocked or thumb-cocked?"
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_action

THOROUGH DISCUSSION of MODERN DA/SA DESIGNATIONS
To catch up on a discussion of the issue, you may want to take a look at this article. It discusses issues involved with DA/SA and the XD (along with other handguns). It is very helpful - especially for new LAOs who are just jumping into the bureaucratic wrestling match.

http://www.handguninfo.com/Archive/www.Pete-357.com/xddasa.htm

The writer (Pete) mentions that Massad Ayoob considers handguns like XD to be BMDA (Bio-Mechanical Double Action) because the XD feels like a DAO system to the operator, even though it requires pre-cocking using a slide rack.

- Mike

·
Registered
325 Posts
JD McDorce said:
Since IPSC prohibits single-action only handguns for Production Division (first shot must be double-action) and both the HS2000 and the XD are on the IPSC approved list for the Production Division, the XD must be double-action, right? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
I don't know about that. I think USPSA allows it but IPSC doesn't, just yet. Can't use it in an international IPSC event.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The writer (Pete) mentions that Massad Ayoob considers handguns like XD to be BMDA (Bio-Mechanical Double Action) because the XD feels like a DAO system to the operator, even though it requires pre-cocking using a slide rack.

- Mike
Good grief. If Ayoob were any more full of ****, he'd explode. Regardless of how the XD feels to Ayoob or anyone else, the XD is a single action.

Some of us are old enough to have learned these things from people who knew what they were talking about. When you say "Single" or "Double" action, who are referring to the number of fire control options available to the operator- that's all. This terminology, like the word 'tactical', has been comercially prostituted until it means nothing- except "BUY me".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts