Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a xd service in .40 s&w...looking into USFS LEO work and was wondering for a secondary carry or off duty carry they allow semi under these restriction does the XD fall into this reg?

A double action or safe action semi-automatic pistol
with a minimum caliber of 9 millimeter. All semi-automatic
pistols must have standard features to include an internal
or external mechanism, other than the trigger, that allows
the hammer to return to the double-action mode without allowing
contact of the pin with the cartridge primer. The method of
keeping the firing pin from striking the cartridge primer shall
be, at a minimum, a fixed firing pin block/safety that blocks
the firing pin and remains in the forward path of the
firing pin until the trigger is pulled in such a manner
as to fire the weapon.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
that allows
the hammer to return to the double-action mode
Nope.. the XD is single action.. it has five safeties.. but no doubt about it.. the pistol is a single action only. Pulling the trigger allows the sear to drop, which allows the firing pin to release and the gun goes "BANG!"

It's an unusual distinction, because of the mechanics.. but the XD is a SAO weapon.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
kennyusmc1 said:
features to include an internal
contact of the pin with the cartridge primer.
The XD is technically a singe action gun. I think they are referring to a de-cocking lever, or a safe action system like the Glock. The XD has neither of these functions.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i was curious what they define as a safe action but the USFS has an approved list i just haven't found it...
since the glock is their primary issue weapon ..I was wondering if the USA in the XD is similar enough to the glocks trigger saftey or as they call it safe action http://www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm

·
Registered
54 Posts
The way that reads , you are stuck with any semi that has a De-Cocker/safety lever, SIG, S&W, Ruger and such

·
Registered
98 Posts
The XD is not a true single action weapon( springfield commisioned an independant study which found that the pistol is not a single action nor is it a double action). But it would fall under the safe action definition in the reg just like glocks do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where is the list where the ATF list weapons as single or double acction I haven't hd luck in searching for it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leadbutt said:
The way that reads , you are stuck with any semi that has a De-Cocker/safety lever, SIG, S&W, Ruger and such
I am not so sure about that it is written : either a decocking lever or a design that would make it return to double action , however there are too many articles that state neither glocks or xd are true single or double action pistols...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
A double action or safe action semi-automatic pistol with a minimum caliber of 9 millimeter.
"Safe Action" is commonly used to describe the action used in Glocks. XDs and Glocks are functionally identical with regard to action (although the XD also adds a grip safety). If the intent of the verbiage is to include Glock, from a technical basis it should also include the XD. From a political basis, YMMV.
All semi-automatic pistols must have standard features to include an internal or external mechanism, other than the trigger, that allows the hammer to return to the double-action mode without allowing contact of the pin with the cartridge primer.
If a striker is considered a hammer, the XD does not meet this criteria (nor does the Glock). The only striker fired handgun that I can think of that can decock the striker with a mechanism other than the trigger is the HK P7 with it's squeeze cocker (noting that the P7 is also not a "true" double-action). The other option is that a striker is not considered a hammer, then this section is not applicable.
The method of keeping the firing pin from striking the cartridge primer shall be, at a minimum, a fixed firing pin block/safety that blocks the firing pin and remains in the forward path of the firing pin until the trigger is pulled in such a manner as to fire the weapon.
The XD meets this criteria.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dragoon44 said:
The XD is not a true single action weapon( springfield commisioned an independant study which found that the pistol is not a single action nor is it a double action). But it would fall under the safe action definition in the reg just like glocks do.
With all due respect for Springfield Armory and their study......Bravo Sierra! The XD fires from a fully cocked striker that can only be cocked by the rearward movement of the slide. It's been engineered to give the trigger a DA feel but it's a true single action. That's why the gun has a grip safety.

·
Registered
71 Posts
kennyusmc1 said:
... All semi-automatic
pistols must have standard features to include an internal
contact of the pin with the cartridge primer. ....
The H&K USP models in standard variant 1 have a decocking lever.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If in dount, buy a Sig :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts