Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watch ar videos constantly... i have a few questions on the functions of a AR.

When you first put in a mag... you rack one in and then its basically live and ready to shoot.

so you shoot all of your ammo in that mag... now when you pop in a new mag all you need to do is press the bolt catch? I see some people tapping the side of their guns in the youtube vids so im guessing thats what they are touching.. however are they touching the top part or the bottom part of the bolt catch?

It seems as if you can only press the bottom part of the bolt catch... but then again i dont have a upper installed yet so maybe it functions different.

Also ive seen quite a few videos of people actually hitting something on the back of their AR near the stock.. whats the deal with that?

The reason im asking, im just trying to figure out the best way to shoot when at the range... the proper way.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Last round is fired, bolt locks back, drop mag and load another. Press the bolt catch, the bolt slams shut chambering a round. FIRE.

Not sure what people are doing to their stock. Some AR's will release the bolt if you slap it on the back of the stock.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so when you press the bolt catch.. im guessing u press the top part of it?

And can you just re-rack instead of pressing the bolt catch? or is that the wrong way to do it

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you want the bolt held back (to unjam a stuck round for example), you can pull the charging handle back while pressing the bottom part of the bolt latch on the left side of the receiver, then let the charging handle go forward. The latch will hold the bolt open. Please note that this is not a safe way to clear the weapon if a loaded mag is in place. If the rifle falls or gets bumped with a loaded mag, the bolt can be released and a round will be chambered. This would be very dangerous at the range while you are hanging targets, for example.

After the last round is fired, the back of the mag follower presses the internal part of the bolt hold open latch and the top of the latch (on the left side of the receiver) will protrude. Press the mag release button and the empty mag is released (I like to actively strip the empty mag out) and the bolt should still be held back. A loaded mag is slapped in place. Don't do this gingerly, or the mag may not seat properly. Finally, the protruding bolt release is pressed. It is current fashion to slap it using the left palm against the left side of the receiver, since using only one digit you could miss hitting it.

Also the AR can only be put on safe if the firing mechanism is cocked. If the safety cannot be pushed to safe, then it can be generally assumed that the hammer is down on an empty chamber (always check to make sure). If the rifle is charged without a mag (empty chamber), the hammer is cocked and the rifle can be put on safe. The advantage of this is that the rifle can be kept away from ammo and also be on safe. When needed, a loaded mag is slapped in and the rifle can be charged on safe. The gun is on safe the whole time. So it is not "ready to go". The safety must be switched to fire, when it is time to fire.

Just as a precaution, I make it a rule not to chamber live ammo in my home.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Old school thing? I occassionally see shooters who like to give the assist a rap after loading a round. It looks more like they are doing it subconsciously out of habit. Is or was that ever part of military training???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts