Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased the PSA stripped lower for $57.

I'm looking into picking up these 2 kits as well:

(lower build kit)
MOE Lower build kit

(lower parts kit)
Palmetto State Armory Gen 2 MOE LPK

Will that be all I need to assemble a complete lower? Also, by buying both kits, I end up with 2 MOE grips, correct?

I'm entirely new to guns in general and have been reading ar15.com threads non-stop for the last week trying to educate myself on this subject. Planning on building several AR's in the future but this is my first and it's gonna be a budget build :). Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Okay, if you buy both the MOE Lower build kit, and the Gen 2 MOE LPK, you will not only have 2 MOE grips, but you will also have 2 LPKs, because the MOE Lower build kit comes with the LPK. :)

If you get the MOE Lower build kit, that will be all you need to assemple a complete lower receiver. If you get the MOE LPK, you would still need to buy a stock setup (buffer tube, buffer spring, buffer, and stock).

Read the thread on AR15.com by FALARAK that spells out how to assemble the lower. It's good stuff. Also... the vise-grip trick works. That's what I did to do my roll pins, and had no problems at all.

Good luck, and welcome to BRD! LOL! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I didn't catch that! The build kit is just the psa lpk right? And not the moe lpk? That's fine I guess, that doesn't matter too much to me. Thanks a lot man!

·
Registered
265 Posts
The build kit is the MOE LPK, plus the MOE stock kit. basically all MOE external parts (trigger guard, grip, buffer tube and stock), and the standard PSA internals (trigger group, springs, detents, mag release, bolt catch, takedown pins, etc).

They basically just bundled them together to make it easier and save you a few bucks instead of buying them separately. My guess is they had enough people buying them separately, they said, "We should just bundle these up."

I used the MOE LPK on my build, but didn't get the stock because I built an A2 and wanted a fixed A2 stock, but I like the MOE grip and triggerguard. I will also tell you that their LPK is awesome... lower went together really easily and pretty fast, and for a mil-spec trigger, it's actually a really nice trigger. I had read some horror stories about standard AR-15 triggers, but this trigger is not bad at all.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The build kit is the MOE LPK, plus the MOE stock kit. basically all MOE external parts (trigger guard, grip, buffer tube and stock), and the standard PSA internals (trigger group, springs, detents, mag release, bolt catch, takedown pins, etc).

They basically just bundled them together to make it easier and save you a few bucks instead of buying them separately. My guess is they had enough people buying them separately, they said, "We should just bundle these up."

I used the MOE LPK on my build, but didn't get the stock because I built an A2 and wanted a fixed A2 stock, but I like the MOE grip and triggerguard. I will also tell you that their LPK is awesome... lower went together really easily and pretty fast, and for a mil-spec trigger, it's actually a really nice trigger. I had read some horror stories about standard AR-15 triggers, but this trigger is not bad at all.
Did the lpk come with a rounded hammer? I'm looking at this build kit too but read someone on another board built one and the safety selector fit kinda loose/sloppy. Any issues with yours?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just get the MOE lower BUILD kit, it will have everything you need for the lower. After thats put together get a complete upper and youll have a rifle.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Whats the intended use of this rifle, Range/plinking, hunting, competition, tactical classes? Have you decided on an upper and what gas system you intend to use? Just a few things to think about on your quest. All the types of rifles I mentioned can be built with in a budget depending on what your budget is. Also to avoid future upgrades and wasting money in the long run it helps to know what your plans are for the rifle and what exactly your trying to build. Just food for thought...
I know I've been there done that twice with in the last 6 months and researching my next build as I post...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did the lpk come with a rounded hammer? I'm looking at this build kit too but read someone on another board built one and the safety selector fit kinda loose/sloppy. Any issues with yours?
No, it came with the standard hammer that comes to a point and kinda looks like a bottle opener. I have no slop in my selector switch either, in fact, there was no looseness anywhere. I've not read anything on arfcom but good from others who use PSA's LPKs too... other than occasionally they might leave a spring or a detent out... but that's to be expected, and they take care of it of course. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whats the intended use of this rifle, Range/plinking, hunting, competition, tactical classes? Have you decided on an upper and what gas system you intend to use? Just a few things to think about on your quest. All the types of rifles I mentioned can be built with in a budget depending on what your budget is. Also to avoid future upgrades and wasting money in the long run it helps to know what your plans are for the rifle and what exactly your trying to build. Just food for thought...
I know I've been there done that twice with in the last 6 months and researching my next build as I post...
The rifle will be primarily used for the range. As for an upper, I'm still shopping around. There's a certain look I'm going for, but at the same time trying to keep this build somewhere between $800-1000, so there's no need for top of the line pieces. Just decent quality stuff that will hold up over time with no issues. I'm expecting my next AR to run me closer to $2k. :razz:

To be honest I have not looked much into gas systems (haven't gotten that far in my research). Any recommendations? Once I get the upper and gas system will it be gtg?

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you get a complete upper, it will be gtg. PSA has a nice 20in FN barreled one for 399. Its a complete upper with bcg,..and did I mention the FN barrel. Its the one I ordered and should be here next week!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you get a complete upper, it will be gtg. PSA has a nice 20in FN barreled one for 399. Its a complete upper with bcg,..and did I mention the FN barrel. Its the one I ordered and should be here next week!
Wow that's pretty cheap. What about the gas system?

I'm actually looking for a complete upper with a 14.5" barrel + some type of attachment that will bring the length to 16". Haven't really seen any of those yet.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It uses a rifle length gas system on the 20in that I mentioned. I think they have some of those short barrels with the pinned breaks to bring em up to legal length without having to get a stamp. I dont know off the top of my head though.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When I mentioned gas system I was reffering to carbine, mid, and rifle length gas tube. Which has different effects depending on your rifle set up. With the 20" barrel it will have a rifle length gas system typically. With a 14.5" barrel and pinned comp/flash hider most people run midlength or carbine gas systems. Two things to remember a pinned comp/flash hider is permanent. Also most companies only offer a few options on the type of comp/flash hider you can select from. I know because I'm just finishing my 14.5 with pinned comp build. Because most companies have such a small selection on permanently attached muzzle devices I looked in the direction of custom build. It lead me to Loki Weapon Systems. They allowed me to provide some of the parts of my choosing to the upper I wanted and adjusted the price according to the parts I provided. I sent them my Vltor VC-1 compensator and Troy battlerail. They built the upper using my parts and I elected to get the YHM gas block with built in flip up front sight. The whole set up ended up costing around $425 shipped with no BCG or charging handle. I wanted to get my own. Loki did a hell of a nice job on my build. Check out the sight the prices are very reasonable. Advanced weapons platforms - LOKI Weapon Systems
Heres a few pics of the upper...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dude, that is one SWEET setup. How do you think it would look if I were to put say, a 13" Troy battlerail with a 14.5 barrel + pinned FH? I want to have as much as barrel hidden as possible. Just a personal preference. :D

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thanks man!
It would have been sweet to use a 13" rail but I already had the Troy battlerail from "trial and error" on my first build. The Troy TRX standard battlerail is a little heavy weighing in at aone pound. I would have loved to have used the Samson Evolution rail! It's very light weight and pretty sweet looking. Heres a pic

Samson Mfg DEV

The Troy Extreme 13" rail is a nice light weight rail too.
Heres a pic of my rifle after I added the rear sight and painted it.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
The rifle will be primarily used for the range. As for an upper, I'm still shopping around. There's a certain look I'm going for, but at the same time trying to keep this build somewhere between $800-1000, so there's no need for top of the line pieces. Just decent quality stuff that will hold up over time with no issues. I'm expecting my next AR to run me closer to $2k. :razz:

To be honest I have not looked much into gas systems (haven't gotten that far in my research). Any recommendations? Once I get the upper and gas system will it be gtg?
If you spend $2k on an AR without optics, then you've probably wasted about $1k, regardless of your purpose for the AR. (unless, of course, you're being initiated into Rambolistas Universal):cool:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, you could buy a frickin' Colt, and put an ACOG on it for $2K. While I don't drink the pony kool-aid... a lot of AR fans would pretty much consider that to be the top of the heap.

If I were going to spend $2K on an AR, I would probably start with a Larue Tactical OBR and go from there. Otherwise, I'll just keep building 'em for less than $1K and be happy happy! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts