Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading on several forums about using Simple Green (SG) as a gun cleaner and some of the caveats about its use I took the plunge and looked up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on this product.

According to the MSDS, an official EPA document, SG has no harmful chemicals and is safe to use. There are no mentions of acids, etc. that could be harmful to you or your guns. There was talk on a forum that SG contained hydrofluoric acid (HF) this ingredient is not mentioned. HF is a toxic and very dangerous substance that even in minute quantities can cause severe health issues or even death it's use in SG would have to be on the MSDS.

There was talk of Simple Green being harmful to aluminum, plain water is harmful to aluminum if it is not protected by some form of coating so I see no reason to not use it on your aluminum gun parts providing you thoroughly rinse the parts, dry and apply lubricant.

I have tried Simple Green as a gun cleaner, it cleans carbon, grease, and "gunk" better and easier than anything I've ever used before. Simply spray it on, let it soak, rinse it off, repeat if necessary, dry with compressed air and lubricate. I doubt it would have much, if any, effect on copper or lead fouling. Remember, SG is a water based cleaner so thorough drying and lubing is imperative if you decide to use it on your firearms.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Govt simple green link
http://gsa.simplegreen.com/
industrial simple green link
http://industrial.simplegreen.com/
consumer simple green link.
http://consumer.simplegreen.com/

Thanks for the follow up, and just like I said in the first thread in the MSDS simple green is harmless enough that even if you drink it, you wont die and all you have to do is hydrate with water to deloute.
The aircraft industry uses simple green on Aluminun Air craft but there was a warning to makes sure you rinse.. Even with cut fingers the stuff does not burn when I clean firearms, but I also rinse the parts in a water bath.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Mojo, when you say "rinse it off" do you mean with water?
Do you spray and rinse all parts of the gun?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So Flo said:
Mojo, when you say "rinse it off" do you mean with water?
Do you spray and rinse all parts of the gun?
Sprayed the whole gun (XD) down with SG then let it soak for about five minutes and rinsed it down with a garden hose and blew out the water with an air hose. Lubed all parts with Corosion X for firearms. Two weeks and it's still fine. Shot two matches with it.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Hmmm, I may have to give that a try!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Simple Green:

X. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Appearance/odor: Translucent green liquid with characteristic sassafras odor.
Specific Gravity: 1.0257
Vapor Pressure: 17 mm Hg @ 20 °C; 22 mm Hg @ 25 °C
pH of concentrate: 9.5

Please keep something in mind. Aluminum is quickly attacked by bases. I disolve aluminum using sodium hydroxide. IF you don;t believe me, get a piece of aluminum. Stick it in ordinary bleach. Look how fast it is attacked. That is a fairly storng base.

I won't argue with you people. Its not worth the effort. Do as you wish, you will any way.

Here is a little science experiment for you to try out. Take some simple green (don't dilute it). Put a piece of nice shiney inprotected steel in the simple green. Come back the next day. What color is the steel?

Dull gray steel is indicative of iron-phosphate. Now, take that piece of steel and have the surface chemically analyzed using something such as EDS (energy dispersive spectroscopy). Tell us what elements you find.

If it doesn't attack it, you won't ffind anything that wasn't there when you started. If it has a re-dox reaction you will find Fe304 and maybe someFe203.

Now for you really cleaver guys find out how to make FeO :wink:

But, anyways, I will leave this arguement up to the experts. I don't know crap about metal or metal corrosion so I will bow out now.

-Dana

·
Registered
84 Posts
You say place aluminum in SG and come back the next day and check for discoloration.....but if you rinse the stuff off your gun after five minutes.....would it have time to damage anything? Just wondering......Ive heard of guys using everything from boiling water to carb and choke cleaner to rubbing alcohol......I do a really good cleaning after about the forth or fifth range trip. Gun Scrub and a old tooth brush followed by a rinse in hot water then blown dry with compressed air.....then a dose of lube. I was paranoid about the water at first but compressed air with one of those mini nozzles is the shiznit.... drives the water out really well. The nozzle is small enough to get into all the little nooks a crannys. Between deep cleanings I use a Bore Snake and a little Remoil. Should I clean it more often or am I cleaning it too much? I have been treating it like I have all of the guns Ive owned and so far Ive had no problems....with rust or anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts