Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are Simmons scopes any good? Compared to other well known scope manufactures (i.e.: Leaupold, Nikkon, BSA, Tasco, ATN, etc.), how do they rate? An older Simmons scope came with a rifle I purchased recently.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't know about the older ones, but I've had a couple of new ones and been very pleased with them. It's no Leupold, but I had a couple of rimfires recently that came with Simmons "Blazer" scopes as part of the package and I thought the worked really well.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
A Simmon's came on my Savage .270 from Wallyworld and it sighted in quickly, has stayed on zero and serves it's purpose.

Again, it is not a Leupold, but it does its job well for the price you will pay!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have bought and sold several Simmons - I have opted to stick with the Nikon ProStaff scopes - $125 - $150 and solid - just my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
For the most part when you purchase optics, you get what you pay for. Maybe some upper end Simmons scopes are ok but I don't much care for the ones I've had in the past. I guess they are OK for plinking but I wouldn't trust them out in the field.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Both of my 22s have Simmons 3x9 "Magnum"? as I recall, replaced the adequate BSA I had on one with I feel much better quality. Would buy Simmons again if I had the need.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I would rank Simmons above BSA, about on par with Tasco or Bushnell, no where near as good as a Nikon or Leopold.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I would say that for a rifle that is low on recoil and low on abuse, it will probably be ok. Its REALLY hard to beat a Nikon Buckmaster though for price and quality.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I would rank Simmons above BSA, about on par with Tasco or Bushnell, no where near as good as a Nikon or Leopold.
I would second this except I would add that the upper-end Bushnells (Elites) are in a completely different (better) class in both quality and price.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I would second this except I would add that the upper-end Bushnells (Elites) are in a completely different (better) class in both quality and price.
+1

The Simmons scopes overall are better than the BSA, ATN and Trashco scopes, but don't hold a candle to the Bushnell Elite 3200, 4200 and 6500 scopes. Simmons usually makes scopes that hold up okay to the usual hunting/paper punching at the range use. In terms of pure optical quality/comparisons, the Simmons are only marginally better than the BSA, ATN and Trashco scopes.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
simmons are good for a cheap scope ive never had any problems with mine. i do however like my nikon a lot more. But the simmons would probaly work just fine in place of the nikon the simmons just arent as solid as the nikon

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've got a Simmons on my rifle that I've had for probably 8 years or so (got it when I got my rifle). It has held up alright through range trips, deer hunting, and a trip to colorado for an anelope hunt. It has held its zero. I'd definitely put it ahead of BSA or Tasco, and probably on par with some Bushnell as others have said. The eye relief is terrlible and makes shooting a little tougher and a little less comfortable. I wouldn't take it to Africa or Alaska for that matter, but for 80-90% of "normal" applications it'll get the job done.

That being said, before next deer season I plan to replace it with a Leupold, because as others have said, there's no comparison.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I decided to take a chance with a Simmons Prohunter 4x32 Pistol Scope mounted on my Mosin carbine. I have it mounted on an S&K mount and I have about 50 rounds through it since mounting the scope. Worst effect I have seen so far is the scope slid forward in the rings from the recoil so that the block containing the adjustment dials is now up against the front ring. It is now sighted in, and appears to be holding up so far. Images are clear and sharp so far and this rig appears to be holding zero. I don't think its too bad for a $100 scope. I will let you all know how I make out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Junk! They don't hold a candle to the Leupold VXII's. I have a Simmons Whitetail Expedition which is ok. I bought the Whitetail Classic that was on sale at Midway and sent it back. Nowhere near the clarity of a Leupold. If the Leupold's are out of your price range, take a look at the Nikon buckmasters. Those are pretty nice.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmmm. i maight swap it out for an ACOG then. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I have a Simmons on my 10/22 and this poor thing has been thru a lot with no problems. I do agree that it is not A Leopold or Nikon, but based on my experience, it is a decent, inexpensive scope.

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

True,

I thought about mentioning them when I started typing my previous post, then somehow the ADD kicked in and I didn't. The Elite 3200 and 4200 are in a totally different league than their lower line products. Looks like they have an Elite 6500 out now!

Another thing I forgot to add,

I have a 2.5x Simmons Shotgun/Black Powder scope on my .54 cal inline muzzle loader. That gun kicks more than a 12 ga with 3" slugs an the scope is doing just fine. It was probably one of the better $19 purchases I have made.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts