Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a similar .22 plinker to the XDM 3.8 frame? Looking for a cheap alternative for going and practicing at the range since .22 ammo is cheaper.

Mainly want to use the .22 for basic marksmanship drills etc. That won't bust my wallet on ammo!

Thank you for any suggestions and/or opinions.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nothing that I could find. I looked for .22lr conversion kits as well and found nothing.

Gave up and bout a Browning Buckmark.

·
Registered
56 Posts
S&W M&P .22 closest thing I have seen Smith-wesson.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nothing out there like the XDM frame in a .22. The upcoming S&W looks like it could be a very good gun and I'm waiting to check one out.

Here is a run down on the .22's I have and some good and bad about them:
-Sig Sauer Mosquito is a nice gun, but the factory trigger is crap (some trigger work can be done). The size of the gun is pretty nice; a little smaller then a full size gun, but not too small.
-The Walther P22 has a much nicer factory trigger then the Sig, but the grip is very small.
-Ruger MKIII, great gun overall and lots of aftermarket support for it. The grip angle is different then an XDM (more like a Glock) and you really can't practice magazine reloads witht he bottom mag catch, BUT and GREAT gun.
Ruger MKIII 22/45, in my opinion the best choice for practice if you are looking for something close to the XDM. The grip angle is the same as a 1911, which the XD series is modeled after. The magazine release is in the same location as a standard firearm and allow you to practice magazine changes.

Other options:
If you own a 1911 you can get a conversion kit.
ISSC has a .22 out that is cheap and modeled after a Glock. I've not shot one of these so I can not give you a review. The grip angle is different then an XD, but size should be pretty close.

My opinion, and just my opinion, for what it's worth, would be to look at a Ruger 22/45.

·
Registered
110 Posts
A walther p22 feels kind of close, but not really. It is however a pretty cool gun out of the box, and shoots really well. Just that slide mounted safety is kinda awkward.

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I just want to head out and blow through a bunch of ammo, I grab my P22. It is a blast to plink with, and cheap to shoot. It's my 3rd one because I keep selling them, then a few months later I get the itch again. I think I will hang on to this one. I'd like to get one of those 45 round drum mags for it. :shock:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Walther sucks. Shot a Sig Mosquito last weekend; nice. $299 at Academy Sports.
Care to elaborate, or are you just content to say "Walther sucks"? :rolleyes:

I've had three of them and they feel great in the hand, eat cheap Federal and Winchester bulk ammo and are fun to shoot. What more do you want in in an inexpensive .22 pistol? Early versions had magazines with feed issues, but the ones in the past few years are perfect. I can blow through 100 rounds with ZERO problems. It is a small gun, so a person with large hands my not get warm and fuzzy with it. I have nothing against the Sig, but if you want to buy nothing but CCI mini-mags, have at it. I've never owned one but have read plenty about them being very ammo picky. I held one at a gun shop, and it was larger than I wanted for a .22, but I won't say they "suck".

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you can get ahold of a issc m22 i would recommend that one also. not quite the same frame but about as close as your gonna get. I have had one for 4 months now and 800 rounds later feeding it both cci mini mags and the cheap federal bulks i have had zero issues outside of the failure to fire due to bad ammo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bump, anyone have any more ideas? i'm looking for one. i like the sig my buddy has one and i shoot it often (once ive spent all my ammo i grab that) but i want to know of there is anything that is closer to my xdm 3.8 before i buy.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I rented a Walther P-22 at the local gun range. In 100 rounds I probably had 3 or 4 FTF. I don't remember whose ammo it was though.

As a plinker it was still fine.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
The closest thing to an XD/XDm in 22lr, is a Glock with a 22 conversion kit.

I settled on a Browning Buckmark, years ago.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I have a Walther P22. I was having FTF issues until it was broken in. I also polished the feed ramp and "viola" it was fixed.
It's fun for plinking. My wife loves to shoot it!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
That looks awesome, have to check that out. Glock with a conversion sounds cool too.
So does a 1911 with a conversion ... But you can buy a complete gun in 22lr for the price of a conversion.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I was making the same decision about a year and a half ago ... or about that....
Here's the results and my final decision:

The early Walther P-22's had some problems with slides and magazines..... (hey, I'm just the messenger, don't blame me!!). Newer ones, maybe since about 2007/2008 or newer seem to have those problems fixed. For any of the people that own them that I have talked to at the range, they love them.... I enjoyed shooting it, and if I ever need another .22 it will be on the list.

Research on the ISSC m-22 was mixed. When I was looking, it hadn't been on the market long enough for a good, long term review, and my local shop was selling it for almost the same price as a new Glock, so I passed.

The Sig Mosquito had mixed reviews when I was looking.

Rugers have a great reputation, but I didn't like the "feel" of it. That is not a slam in any way.. it is a subjective evaluation.

Ended up buying a Browning Buckmark in stainless. Have really liked it. Purchased for less than $300. Grips feel great. It has a "big-gun" feel, and while it does have a safety (unlike Glock/SA XD's), it does what I need it to do with trigger squeeze, sight alignment etc. I'm at well over 1500 rounds, (no clue how many at this point), and the only failures were with a box of Remington that had multiple failures. Now shooting everything except and having NO failures of any type.

For price, feel, and purpose, the Buckmark fit the bill perfectly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts