Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 500 rounds of 40 S&W Silver Bear for $62 at the gunshow yesterday and was wondering if this is plink worthy or just total crap. I know it's a little late now, but still curious. I've shot Wolf in the past and I actually liked it and had no problems. Anyone with any first hand experience?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've never shot it in 40sw but the 45acp was crap. it was to weak to function my springfield reliably. I do have some silver bear 223 and it has been a good plinkling ammo in my ar

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else? Anyone, anyone? How about any of the Russian "Bear" lines? (Brown, Gold, Silver)

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I don't like Brown bear FMJs or HPs in 9mm, they seem weak on the powder side.

I shoot Golden Bear 203grSP and 147gr FMJ out of my Mosins, SVD, Tigr and Romak. Like them very much.
I shoot Silver bear 5.45x39 out of my AKS 74 and LOVE them.
I shoot all the Bears in my 7.62x39 Krink, never had any issues in any rifles, but have no other experiences in handgun rounds......

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have Silver Bear in 9mm Mak. The round nose shoot fine, the HP jam in the mag. I checked them and found them to be over on length. Ran them through my press and they worked fine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've only shot Silver Bear, Brown Bear and Wolf in my SKS. No problems with it there.

Have put 100 or so rounds of Wolf through my XD9 and didn't have any problems with it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
if silverbear is the stuff with the laquor finish that makes the case look kinda green... stay away from it.

if its anything like "monoarch" ammo, the laquor finish will turn into glue in your action. of course this can be prevented by regular maintenance, but that regualr maintenance gets harder and harder the more of it you shoot, and if you use it at a class where you will shoot 1-2k rounds without the chance to clean.... it WILL gum you action.

·
Registered
219 Posts
therooster said:
if silverbear is the stuff with the laquor finish that makes the case look kinda green... stay away from it.

if its anything like "monoarch" ammo, the laquor finish will turn into glue in your action. of course this can be prevented by regular maintenance, but that regualr maintenance gets harder and harder the more of it you shoot, and if you use it at a class where you will shoot 1-2k rounds without the chance to clean.... it WILL gum you action.
silver bear is silver. I beleive it is zinc plated cases or something. Not much laquor cases around anymore, the new wolf uses a polymer finish that work eleventy billions times better then the old laquored stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a chance to shoot about 150 rounds of this stuff yesterday and well, lets say this stuff is extremely dirty! Bet it shot great so I guess I can't complain for the deal I got. :wink:

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have fired 1000 rounds of it in .380 flavor,

zinc bimetal case the usualy red nasty primer sealent, and a big ol hp.

it all worked fine for me and it wasnt limping along it was nice and hot for this round at least.

im looking for whatever is the cheapest to feed my cz 83, it was designed to eat this sortof ammo anyways.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Works fine in the 9X18 Mak, lots of FTE in the P3AT so switched to S&B for the KT and no problems. Range clean-up no problem, just drag the area with a large magnet I bought at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Personally, I've used Silver/Golden Bear ammunition in my AK-47 with no problems at all. But their pistol ammo is the worst thing I have ever come across. Even in a perfectly oiled and cleaned pistol, I'd see FTFs. Every 3 rounds it would FTF is my Beretta 92FS, and about every 20 in my CZ-75BD... both guns which have no problems with any other ammo.

Not only do they fire dirty, but they're dirty on the outside. I'll never buy them again for my pistols. As for my AK, I'll use them as long as I get good experience with them. The AK rounds were always nicer and cleaner on the outside.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Silver Bear .380 ammo is utter carp. I bought a box and tried loading and unloading it in both magazines for my nearly new Sig P232. They load but it required dismantling the magazines to remove the unfired cartridges. It appears they may be too long so they are going back to the Ace Hardware store where they were purchased. Remington .380 ammo work just fine. You get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Double whammy - thread resurrection, with a brutal reminder of how cheap ammo used to be.

You jerk. :lol:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have in the past shot the Silver Bear in 40. They are steel cased with a nickel like finish which I think is really a zinc blend of some kind. Like others have mentioned, compared to other 40cal ammo they were on the weak side and used an 165grn bullet instead of the 180grn that makers like Wolf used. My chrono results from an XDm 4.5" gun were that they produced an average of 983fps for 20 shots giving a power factor of 162.2 which is less than "major" and so not suitable for the "gun games" nor much else than plinking. They did all go bang and all that though, so they're not a waste of money. Accuracy was ok, but not as good as most of my reloads.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've been pretty lucky with all the Brown Bear / SIlver Bear and Monarch, and even Tula (except a Glock that hated it, now sold). ALso the "Colt's" .223 / 5.56 which I think is Silver Bear as well.

No issues at all with any of them.... go bang all the time. I am not good enough to have groups tight enough to tell the difference in ammo.

My AR originally didn't like Herter's Steel .223/5.56 (Which I think is Tula), but seems that now, after plenty of break in / cleanings and more shooting, it seems to eat that ok now as well.

If looking for cheap plinking ammo, I'll buy any of it at the right price. For any type of defensive round, I stick with the names like SPeer Gold Dot / Rem. Golden Sabre / Federal HST etc,

(yes, I know it is a zombie post, but wanted to chime in anyway) :-D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts