Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I saw a thread on this somewhere on here earlier.

The debate was the reasons for a supressor. I'm not concerned with the reasons "why." All I want to know is "how?"

I own an XD9 SC and am interested in pricing and purchasing a supressor. How do I do this? Can I buy an aftermarket 4" barrel and have it threaded and put it in my sub? or can someone thread the SC barrel for a silencer? I'm not sure I'd want to do it to my stock barrel. But I'd be interested in doing it to an aftermarket barrel. And how do I find the legalty of owning a supressor let alone somewhere to purchase one for my sub?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Read all of this good stuff:
http://www.fullautofun.homestead.com/page36.html

You have to pay a tax stamp and be approved to get one. I think, other than paperwork and waiting, the only major hurdle is getting a senior LEO official of your jurisdiction to sign off on it.

There was a text file I found at some point that someone linked to that had exact steps to follow and laid it out real well. If anyone knows where that is they should post it.

Oh and check your state laws because many will ban them outright.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Buying a suppressor or suppressed firearm is similar to buying a machine gun. It requires a BATF tax stamp and approval. Some states make it pretty much impossible (which should be illegal if the federal government cared, since the federal license should exercise preemption over the more restrictive state laws), some are more reasonable.

This is so complicated that you should probably contact a class 3 dealer for help. Look in the Shotgun News for leads or Google.

(Added link)
Try here for more info.
http://mjt1.tripod.com/class_3_ownership.doc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Slowpoke- do you have a local dealer that sells suppressors? They will be able to get you all the paper work necessary (if they are good). Or you can just call BATF and they'll send the papers. You'll need to fill out 2 forms with finger prints and possibly two more that you describe what you're buying and why. You'll also need a passport type photo to affix to the later documents.

If you know your local Sheriff you'll have to sit down and speak with him/her before they'll sign off on it. Or if you have a friend in law enforcement maybe they can help you to get infront of someone. I went to my local Sheriff sat with him for 5-10 minutes, he called in my name and asked for a criminal report (it was clean of course) and that was it.
I recently filled out paper work for firearms production to chop an AR-15 9mm to 10 inch barrel.

I ordered a Gem tech suppressor about 2 months ago, and when it comes in I'll have to go back to the Sheriff to get that paper work completed, but I'll be able to use the suppressor for both a Glock and the AR.

It's a long process so be patient. If you're lucky it could take only 90 days. If not could go out to close to a year.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Does your barrel have to be threaded for a specific model of suppressor or is there a more standard threading that works for most suppressors? I've seen some custom barrelsmiths ask what model suppressor you are going to use so I was just wondering.

·
Registered
342 Posts
do you have to go through the wait for each class 3 item you want. For instance, if I go through a 9 month wait and eventually get a silencer, and then I acquire the money and want a tommy gun (full auto), do I have to wait again, or just pay the tax and make the purchase?

·
Registered
388 Posts
dolanp said:
Does your barrel have to be threaded for a specific model of suppressor or is there a more standard threading that works for most suppressors?
Unfortunately, there is no standard thread for centerfire pistol suppressors. Rimfire silencers almost exclusively use 1/2-20tpi or 1/2-28tpi, but that doesn't do you much good. Some models have removable end caps that allow you to change the thread pitch. AAC's Evolution is one such beast.

·
Registered
388 Posts
whtvrsclvr said:
do you have to go through the wait for each class 3 item you want. For instance, if I go through a 9 month wait and eventually get a silencer, and then I acquire the money and want a tommy gun (full auto), do I have to wait again, or just pay the tax and make the purchase?
I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. Perhaps the ATF FAQ can be more helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as I know the wait is a minimum of 90 days for every separate filing. I assume if you are on file it could go quicker.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone actually purchased or shot any of these XD's with a suppressor? I would like to know how much they really cut down on the db's. I have shot a few 9's with suppressors but they were rifles and had longer barrels. Ond of them was an intergral suppressor and the other was screw on. I was also wondering how much diff. if any that would have. I have done a little research on them and the only one that I think would make sense for my 9SC would be the Aurora. It is Federal Issue only though. It is the smallest suppressor made at 3". The next best thing is one called the Scorpion at 4" made by AAC I believe. These would be the only 2 I would go with in the SC category. Besides them being 500 bones then a 200 dollar tax stamp on top of that I don't think it would make sense to have a SC and a 6" suppressor. If you have a Full-size or tactical XD then it might not to be bad to get a larger suppressor and you can get those for much cheaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know, I don't know what the ratings are on the Mac10 or MP5 but I'll try to get a clip up sometime. It's actually pretty decent though. The MP is intergral and mostly just the slide and casings hitting the floor. The Mac10 is a bit louder but that's more or so just the slide. The slide action is pretty loud and actually makes the round itself seem a bit quiter. It's pretty crazy how the Mac10 fires on an open bolt. Thanks for the clip though. Thanks Chris

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You have to fill out separate paperwork and wait each time. Having one class III item doesn't necesarily make the wait time for the next one any less.

You are better off deciding which supressor you will be going with, and after you get approved, getting a barrel threaded to work with the supressor.

·
Registered
388 Posts
xHypex said:
I bet the XD would sound similiar to the HK in this clip
The USP was a .45 firing 230gr ammo, which should make it considerably more silence-able than the average 9mm or .40 S&W. Ammo of that weight is generally subsonic to begin with, so there is no "crack" to suppress.

·
Registered
87 Posts
what silencer was the guy using on the USP tactical??

I heard him say "bowers ataz 45" but I could not find this suppressor on the internet.

Also, can you buy subsonic ammunition for the xd-40?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been looking for subsonic 40 s/w ammo for a while now, and the heaviest bullet I could find is 180g and runs at about 980ft/s at muzzle.

Is there any other bullet in 40 s/w that is heavier and travels slower? Maybe 900 ft/s....?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts