Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
While that is encouraging news, I think it should be illegal to sell guns WITHOUT suppressors.

Can you think of any other tool issued by an employer that is 100% certain to cause permanent disability to the user (hearing loss), that is NOT against some OSHA law?

Then again, I think the post office should sell NFA stamps over the counter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While that is encouraging news, I think it should be illegal to sell guns WITHOUT suppressors.

Can you think of any other tool issued by an employer that is 100% certain to cause permanent disability to the user (hearing loss), that is NOT against some OSHA law?

I agree with you 100%

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I do not get why you need the stamp anyway. They do not Silence the gun just make it safe for your ears.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

When you consider that they used to be sold in the local hardware store, as a safety device, often referred to as a muffler ... It does kind of suck that the FED's decided to put a tax stamp on them, and make people jump through hoops.

FWIW,
I think we should be allowed to make them for personal use, with no registration requirements at all.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I do not get why you need the stamp anyway. They do not Silence the gun just make it safe for your ears.
Because the ATF gets $200 when you purchase the stamp, and give up some of your rights ... They call, make an appointment, and request to look at your firearms, just because you want a device they have implemented a control law over.

And that $200 is funding for their department.

To the OP,
Congratulations, I guess ... Are you sure you want one bad enough, to deal with potentially being hassled, for the rest of your life ?

You'll need to keep the tax stamp with the firearm ALWAYS, and you can't really will it to a relative, unless you register it under an estate, and have that relative listed properly.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
When you consider that they used to be sold in the local hardware store, as a safety device, often referred to as a muffler ... It does kind of suck that the FED's decided to put a tax stamp on them, and make people jump through hoops.

FWIW,
I think we should be allowed to make them for personal use, with no registration requirements at all.

I know! Glad they aren't infringing on the 2nd A with that law. :rolleyes: By the way, how is the Montana Firearms Freedom law working out in the courts?

I am actually investigating various DIY suppressor designs with the idea of building one (after proper NFA paperwork has been approved and tax stamp issued). I will go the "trust" route.

By the way, I thought they could inspect the suppressor, not the firearm. True? False?:?:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I know! Glad they aren't infringing on the 2nd A with that law. :rolleyes: By the way, how is the Montana Firearms Freedom law working out in the courts?

I am actually investigating various DIY suppressor designs with the idea of building one (after proper NFA paperwork has been approved and tax stamp issued). I will go the "trust" route.

By the way, I thought they could inspect the suppressor, not the firearm. True? False?:?:
Haven't heard much about Montana, and you are correct, they can only inspect items you have a tax stamp for ... I said firearm, because the stamp can also be used for an SBR or AOW.

If you only have a silencer w/stamp, that's what they'll want to see, but it's also my understanding that they'll want to see that you only have 1, if you only have 1 stamp ... Kind of a gray area, IMO ... But I have no tax required items, so I'm going off what I have read/learned about these stamps, and the issues that surround them.

If I remember right, Sourpatch can fill you in good ... He has a few NFA items.

Have you been to SilencerTalk • Index page ?

Lot's of good information, and if the apocalypse ever arrives, silencer is an item I'll be making, if needed ;)

But I suspect that building one is probably a bigger red flag than buying one ... How many did you build ;) ;) We need to inspect your manufacturing facility !!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well it's not that it has now become legal. It was already legal the only problem was if the tax stamp counted as a "license". The BATFE wasn't allowing people from Michigan to get silencers because it was unclear if the tax stamp was a "license". Now that he has said the tax stamp does count as a "license" it appears people in Michigan will now be able to get them.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Because the ATF gets $200 when you purchase the stamp, and give up some of your rights ... They call, make an appointment, and request to look at your firearms, just because you want a device they have implemented a control law over.

To the OP,
Congratulations, I guess ... Are you sure you want one bad enough, to deal with potentially being hassled, for the rest of your life ?

You'll need to keep the tax stamp with the firearm ALWAYS, and you can't really will it to a relative, unless you register it under an estate, and have that relative listed properly.
2 things 1 if you keep it in a safe deposit box thats all they can look in :cool:

have a trust and others can get it/use it/transport it keep it when you die

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
My replies in red

I have never EVER heard of that happening!!!

Sure, they do compliance inspections for licensed DEALERS on occasion, but I have never heard of them calling up a stamp holder and scheduling an appointment. This is where I think your wires are crossed. You only know half of what you think you do.

An NFA stamp is not a dealers license, or any other kind of license. It is nothing more than documentation that you are eligible to own the firearm when the paperwork was approved, and for the particular weapon that is listed on the paperwork.

Since you are saying they do inspections of unlicensed NFA stamp holders, I would like to see you provide some "proof" that it occurs.

To the OP,

Again, let's see some proof of your claims.

They would have to have a warrant to enter your home to see your documents.

Sounds to me like you're just trying to fear monger based on (wrong) assumptions.

You do need to keep (at least a copy of the original) with the firearm just in case you are asked for verification that it is legal. And even then are not required to show it to anyone except ATF because it's a (private) tax document and there are laws that protect your privacy.

You CAN will it TAX FREE to a legal heir. It is called an Involuntary transfer FORM 5
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

I don't mean to come across as being harsh, but it really irks me when people spout wrong information about something that so many people know little about anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts