Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I have been trying to figure out which sights are best for the XD. If you go to CDNN investments, they have two sets of SIG sights in the front only sets. One is for the 220, 229, and 245. The other is for the 225, 226, 228, and PRO. Since they are only $12.99, I think I will get a set for both my XD and HS2000 pistols...only problem is that I have no idea of which one to get.

Anybody have any experience with the Insight M3 or XML? I am seriously thinking of adding a weapon light to one of my pistols and making it my home defense weapon.

Finally, has anyone used the aftermarket magazines available from ProMag? I have tried their stuff before in my CZ with feed problems...any chance that the magazines they are putting out for the XD are any better?

Thanks and Happy Shooting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What type of sights are you looking for? www.pistol-gear.com ( a nice supporter of this forum) stocks a good variety at good prices. The TFO's are common for tritium, and Dawson common for fiber-optic.

Heard good things about both of those lights, the mounted light or hand-held light debate will rage on for ever.... I personally like hand-held so I can illuminate something in the house to explore w/o having to aim a loaded weapon at it.

On the promags.... not sure why you would buy them anymore with high caps available. The general consensus is clearly to stay with OEM equipment for magazines, and XD's are well designed and durable. Hold 15 9mm, 12 .40 rounds...

just my $.02

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the story with the magazines is this: I am going back to CA and was just hoping to see if the aftermarket mags were any good before buying them...$14.99 is hard to pass up, especially because I will be going into law enforcement and will be able to buy additional mags after graduating from the academyt. But if the factory mags are the only ones that work well, I will bite the bullet and buy the 10-rounders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
clee said:
On the promags.... not sure why you would buy them anymore with high caps available. The general consensus is clearly to stay with OEM equipment for magazines, and XD's are well designed and durable. Hold 15 9mm, 12 .40 rounds...
Is "available" kind of a strong word? I'm considering an XD for my next purchase, but one of the drawbacks so far has been the lack of sources for 15-round magazines. They just don't seem to be available...even Pistol Gear doesn't have any. And I couldn't even find XD accessories on the Springfield Armory web site...

Am I missing something? Who actually has them in stock? Is there any word about this problem getting better? I guess I'm kind of spoiled by my experience with Sigs and Glocks -- lots of quality magazines available for $20 a piece.

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
The TFO's so far work very well for me. The 229 sights are the right ones. What you're looking for is #8 front and rear.

The XML is a short light, and according to one of the sponsors here it wouldn't be terribly ergonomic on the Service or Tactical model because it would be too far forward. If you have a subcompact it would be the cat's ##$.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Give these a shot:

http://xd-hs2000.com/shopping.html

Or

http://www.pistol-gear.com/categories.php?cat=15

Both participate in the forum (sorry if I overlooked anyone...).

Yes, 226 sight. I have the XML, and as noted above, it is GREAT for the subcompact. I have used it on other guns (Sig226) just playing around. It is a really small light. Powerful little booger, but NOT as powerful as the bigger ones. It suits my limited needs, but if I were an LEO, I would get a higher end light (Surefire, M3, etc.) unless I specifically needed a light for a small gun. Again, there is NOTHING wrong with this light. It is well-suited for the job it was designed. But for a full-sized gun, I would be inclined to get the full-sized light. Just one opinion.

I've never used anything but XD mags on my XD. The only "off-brand" mags I buy for other guns are Mec-Gar, and they are a major OEM provider to many, many gun companies. Anything other than that I view as a gamble I choose not to take.

Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Navy87Guy said:
clee said:
Is "available" kind of a strong word? I'm considering an XD for my next purchase, but one of the drawbacks so far has been the lack of sources for 15-round magazines. They just don't seem to be available...even Pistol Gear doesn't have any. And I couldn't even find XD accessories on the Springfield Armory web site...

Am I missing something? Who actually has them in stock? Is there any word about this problem getting better? I guess I'm kind of spoiled by my experience with Sigs and Glocks -- lots of quality magazines available for $20 a piece.

Thanks!
Jim
If you shop around at gun shops you can find the xdgear deal that gives you three high cap mags, holster, decent case for normal price. the offer ran out in January but a lot of people still have the kits in stock. Call SA, they will sell you high caps over the phone....their web site is typical of manufacturers - hardly ever updated correctly.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Navy87Guy said:

Thanks!
Jim
Until the AWB expired, everyone with an XD-9 used XD-40 magazines, which hold 15 rounds of 9mm.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Springfield_Nut said:
All,
I have been trying to figure out which sights are best for the XD. If you go to CDNN investments, they have two sets of SIG sights in the front only sets. One is for the 220, 229, and 245. The other is for the 225, 226, 228, and PRO. Since they are only $12.99, I think I will get a set for both my XD and HS2000 pistols...only problem is that I have no idea of which one to get.
I bought one of the front sights from them last year.
The first one was totally dead. After calling them I
got another that was good. The sight was a m0the®
f*©*3® to get off.If I had to do it over I would
have bought my sights from ajames and had ajames
install them for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All,
Follows is from Deb at Springfield Armory, the Custom Shop Coordinator:

The XD model can use Sig P226 sights. Our custom shop installs night sights for $95, which includes the sights and installation. We offer the Trijicon 3 green dot system, Heinie straight 8 slant pros, and the XS big dot 24/7.

JSR

·
Registered
388 Posts
Springfield_Nut said:
Our custom shop installs night sights for $95, which includes the sights and installation. We offer the Trijicon 3 green dot system, Heinie straight 8 slant pros, and the XS big dot 24/7.
The Heinie sights for $95 installed is a steal. I wonder what the turnaround is. That's one more thing to ask SA when I call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
cvann said:
Call SA, they will sell you high caps over the phone....their web site is typical of manufacturers - hardly ever updated correctly.
Looks like SA just finally just got around to updating their site. Could have been as recently as today.

The .45 GAP is now shown with the rest of the XDs.

Price increases seemingly across the board on the XDs and the 1911s. (not sure about the M1 Rifles. I think the prices on the Scout rifles are the same...BTW, anyone have one of those Scouts?).

Legend TGO II and III no longer shown.

Probably a few other changes as well.

Peace,
D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts