Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't hit 40 yet but my astigmatism gets worse and worse each year. I generally fund my FSA account to upgrade my glasses each year, including lenses for my ESS glasses w/ prescription inserts. I picked up this w/ a prescription frame, took the frame to LensCrafters and had my lenses made same day (without the bifocal I have)
Suppressor 2X+ Kit: Clear, Copper & Gray in Ballistic Eyeshields - ESS Eye Pro - Ballistic Goggles - Ballistic Sunglasses - Military Eyewear - Eye Protection – Shooting Glasses

They really help with the sight picture but the target is blurry. But I have been training shooting with both eyes open instead of closing my left eye all the time. It makes a difference and helps train for situational viewing that you are missing by using only your dominant eye.

Wait for a sale from ESS...subscribe to their Facebook page to be alerted. Generally 15-20% off on the sales. Good glasses are key and $100 is really worth protecting your vision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
498 Posts
I find that the Trijicon HD sights with the orange front and blacked out rear are amazingly fast for sight acquisition. I love my TFOs, but I put a set of HDs on my PX4. They are expensive, but they are truly awesome.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
With my bad eye sight I went with a white dot night sight from Dawson and a blacked out rear sight with wide U-notch from 10-8 Performance

The front sight sticks out to me while I can ignore the rear sights
... Works very well for myself.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Sounds good! My new DW has a front tritium surrounded by a bright white ring and an all black rear sight. I too, find it works very well for aging eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had a similar problem and solved it by this....

Aging eyesight, what do you do? | The Firearms Forum
That sounds like a good plan for target shooting. I also wear contacts all day, then glasses at night. A pair of contacts just for target shooting would be nice.

My situation is similar to the OP, but different due to the detached retina I had in my right dominant eye this past summer. The repaired retina is solidly in place, but my prescription for that eye has gotten twice as bad. The contact lens went from a -5:50 to a -11.00. And even with that the vision is about 24/40 in that eye. I also wear my prescription glasses that the doctor made just before the retina detached, but she won't put a new lens in due to how thick it would have to be. So I wear a weaker contact to bring the eye up to wear it meets the glasses, and it's a perfect fit for when I want to wear my good glasses with progressive lenses. But still it's only corrected to 20/40.

With either contacts or glasses. target practice was getting sloppy. My dominant eye was not letting me see the target well. I tried with my left eye, but that was no good.

I recently took an advanced concealed carry course. I won't fill this post up with details, but one good thing I got out of it was shooting with both eyes open. Target practice using one eye is great when that's what you want. But I got into carrying for the reason of self defense, and the instructor gave us real world scenarios for self defense, and explained the need to practice with both eyes open. I explained my situation to the instructor. He said two eyes open will be good for me. I quickly got the hang of it in the classroom, then once on the range, I did really well. I am not hitting the center of the target, but I am hitting center mass anywhere from 15' - 20' using both eyes. That's good enough for me. And I am practicing for self defense situations, not just how tight I can make my groups.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Guys, time is catching on, now that I'm closer to 50, and after I went lately to the shooting alley I was very surprised to notice that with very bright white lights, my gun sights looked very blurry, either way I made some good shoots just by aiming with the top of the gun, either way I did not felt good about it, and now I'm looking for some options, last night I painted the front sight in bright orange by using my wive's nail polish paint (she did not had bright green color, to bad). I was looking for other options like the rear XS sight system (too bad they don't sell the rear sight only), Hi-Viz green front fiber optic, I see on their web page that hey have the XD2007 & XD2014 models (don't know which one is better), J point sight, and last the Viridian C5L green gun laser/light combo, I don't have any idea if it will fit on my XD .45 ACP service model, also the C5L has many positive and negative comments on the web, is hard to know if it will be a good choice of laser/light combo for my gun.
Which are your throughs, anybody on the same channel?:confused:
Guys I will like to share my recent experience with some sights that I purchased to try to improve my blurry shooting vision issue,. I tried Truglo TFO, green front-yellow rear sights & the XS Big dot, and could not find an improvement, still blurry. Then I purchased lasermax laser guide rod for Glock 22 gen 4, very poor quality & very bad fitmen, I requested a change and then I received Viridian's C5L compact, this was night and day my best option, I installed it on my Glock and after 150 rounds it could not be better. Great quality product, multifuctional green laser w/. also multi funtion 100 lumens light, looks rugged for hard use service, worths every penny.:D

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thank you for this info. I have been in a year long battle to keep vision in my right eye. After the lens implant it is finally settling in at 20/30 with no near distance reading. I have to wear progressive readers for both eyes, so looking at the sights and target together are a bitch. I was thinking of Truglo, but what good would they do me if they're still blurry.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thank you for this info. I have been in a year long battle to keep vision in my right eye. After the lens implant it is finally settling in at 20/30 with no near distance reading. I have to wear progressive readers for both eyes, so looking at the sights and target together are a *****. I was thinking of Truglo, but what good would they do me if they're still blurry.
Even with perfect vision, seeing front, rear sights & target clearly, just not gonna happen. So hard focus on the front sight always.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The problem like on my case, was that without eye glasses I could see the front and rear sights, but the target blurry, and with my glasses the front sight was very blurry it did not matter which sight I was using and the target was fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With my rifle I've found that using a rear peep sight works great. I'm going to try to make one for the XD to get the same effect. I think that people who are suggesting brighter/diamond type sights don't understand the problem. My eyesight is so bad that I can barely see the color of the white dots on my rear sight, but I can see the front site pretty well. With a peep sight, you get a much better (tighter) view of the front sight. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
For me the Viridian green laser is the best self defense device, ready to shoot from any angle followed by the red dot, I have the Vortex Venom 3 moa, but the RMR should be even better, but is costlier. The red dot takes more time to aim compared to the very quick aim from the green or red laser sights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like Old4Eyes above, I have a Merit aperture and it works really well. Rear sight, front sight, target all clear.
This little tool is a great help.

He said:
Get a peep sight to stick on your glasses.

Merit Optical Attachment Suction Cup

The merit cup has an adjustable aperture and is well made. Midway sells another suction cup attachment but the reviews aren't as good and I can't speak to that one, I do own the Merit.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts