Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, time is catching on, now that I'm closer to 50, and after I went lately to the shooting alley I was very surprised to notice that with very bright white lights, my gun sights looked very blurry, either way I made some good shoots just by aiming with the top of the gun, either way I did not felt good about it, and now I'm looking for some options, last night I painted the front sight in bright orange by using my wive's nail polish paint (she did not had bright green color, to bad). I was looking for other options like the rear XS sight system (too bad they don't sell the rear sight only), Hi-Viz green front fiber optic, I see on their web page that hey have the XD2007 & XD2014 models (don't know which one is better), J point sight, and last the Viridian C5L green gun laser/light combo, I don't have any idea if it will fit on my XD .45 ACP service model, also the C5L has many positive and negative comments on the web, is hard to know if it will be a good choice of laser/light combo for my gun.
Which are your throughs, anybody on the same channel?:confused:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Guys, time is catching on, now that I'm closer to 50, and after I went lately to the shooting alley I was very surprised to notice that with very bright white lights, my gun sights looked very blurry, either way I made some good shoots just by aiming with the top of the gun, either way I did not felt good about it, and now I'm looking for some options, last night I painted the front sight in bright orange by using my wive's nail polish paint (she did not had bright green color, to bad). I was looking for other options like the rear XS sight system (too bad they don't sell the rear sight only), Hi-Viz green front fiber optic, I see on their web page that hey have the XD2007 & XD2014 models (don't know which one is better), J point sight, and last the Viridian C5L green gun laser/light combo, I don't have any idea if it will fit on my XD .45 ACP service model, also the C5L has many positive and negative comments on the web, is hard to know if it will be a good choice of laser/light combo for my gun.
i

Prescription shooting glasses?

don

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
the difficulty is getting the sights and the target BOTH in focus. Getting glasses with a very small aperture viewport. This will bring the foreground and background into focus together.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
There are a couple of ways to attack the problem. I am assuming that the OP does not currently use prescription glasses and has now ventured into the realm of needing reading glasses.

Prescription shooting glasses - Get a bifocal lens cut high so that with your head in a neutral position you can see your front sight and by tilting your head down you look through the upper portion for your distance (target). You won't be able to see target and front sight clearly at the same time - but you probably couldn't before.

Get a peep sight to stick on your glasses.

Merit Optical Attachment Suction Cup

The merit cup has an adjustable aperture and is well made. Midway sells another suction cup attachment but the reviews aren't as good and I can't speak to that one, I do own the Merit.

For me the Merit works better at 25 yards and beyond. At 10 yards and less I would rather use high cut bifocals. If you use the merit, you DON'T use the close bifocal/reading glasses. You use what works for your distance vision and the peep sight of the Merit gives you the depth of field to see the front sight.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Fiber optics

Tfo sights

Rmr

Shoot enough your comfortable shooting via blurr

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
164 Posts
James did Diamond Speed Sights for me, and I love them. They are a great help dealing with the vision problems I fight. Expensive, but worth it, to me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
With my contacts in for distance vision, I need reading glasses for up close. For the range, I have had pretty good results in using a weaker power of reading glasses. That allows enough focus to grab that front sight and still see the target well enough. I use a 1.75 for actual reading but only a 1.25 at the range.

And different color front and rear sights help a lot as well. I really like the TFOs in green(front)/yellow(rear). Bright fiber optics in daylight, tritium for low light.

·
Registered
184 Posts
With my contacts in for distance vision, I need reading glasses for up close. For the range, I have had pretty good results in using a weaker power of reading glasses. That allows enough focus to grab that front sight and still see the target well enough. I use a 1.75 for actual reading but only a 1.25 at the range.

And different color front and rear sights help a lot as well. I really like the TFOs in green(front)/yellow(rear). Bright fiber optics in daylight, tritium for low light.
I wear Bausch & Lomb Purevision Multi-Focal contacts. I no longer need reading glasses and only wear bi-focal glasses when I first get up in the morning.

Contact Lenses for Presbyopia - PureVision Multi-Focal Contact Lenses : Bausch + Lomb

You should ask your optomitrist or opthamologist about them.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Bigger and Brighter are great, I just put fiber sights on a CZ75 and it has really changed the gun.

BUT...If your vision won't let you focus you've got bigger and brighter fuzziness. Getting your gun/glasses set up for target shooting will be different for setting up for carry/self defense.

My suggestion of high cut bifocal or the Merit optical attachment work for target shooting but are not the solution to self defense situations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm 56 with the same problem.

On my AR-15 a red dot sight was the solution I was looking for. I have researched the HEX sight, big dot sight, fiber optic, etc. After dry firing with a range officer's RMR for the second time in three months I have decided that it provides the best option for me.

The only barrier at this moment is available funds. Let the penny pinching begin.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I found these on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Calabria 1106SB Metal Aviator Reading Sunglasses in Gun Metal ; +1.75: Clothing

They are probably the best, low cost alternative to expensive prescription sunglasses. After a little experimenting, I've found that +1.75 is the best for me right now (I'm 52) to give a clear front sight and infinity focus simultaneously. I also wear them while driving and can see out of the car while clearly reading my dashboard again! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have terrible eyes, just get good glasses & use partridge type sights. Tell your optometrist you want the gasses for shooting, totally diff than reading. If you can stand blended bi focus, that is the best way to go.

·
Registered
338 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I have an astigmatism. I prefer the brighter sights like tru glos. Makes it easier to pick them up in low light.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts