Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh well, I guess it had to happen to me too! The white stuff in the sights on my XD9 fell out this weekend.........the front and the left rear.

Now I have an excuse to send the gun in to SA for installation of the night sights I wanted.......bummer. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had a thought.......maybe I should send the gun into AJames for a Duracoat job and Ameriglo tritium sight installation?

How do you all like the duracoat finish? It sure looks sweet on the website!

·
Registered
477 Posts
+1 on Old School's model paint suggestion if you don't want to go to the night sights or want something to tide you over for a while.

jonas

·
Registered
885 Posts
Try bright, contrasting colors....if your gonna do the model paint thing. It really helps to acquire your front sight faster.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
XD_Dan said:
Try bright, contrasting colors....if your gonna do the model paint thing. It really helps to acquire your front sight faster.
I shoot my XD a lot, so the sights eventually got dingy. I've touched them up twice so far...in a little over a year...with white Testor's model paint and they look great.

I can see the upside of the front sight thing. Next time I touch up my XD I will try contrasting colors.

My other three pistols (in sig. bottom of page) have all black sights. I've put a white dot on the front sights and I find that's all I need.

I've never really "gotten" night sights. I've tried them many times. If I were to change sights I'd go with fiber optic before night sights (probably front alone is adequate).

Of course sights are always going to be a personal preference deal. But at least for me, I find the fiber optics are better in low light situations. In "no light", I don't see what purpose seeing the sights are if you can't see the target. I have a red dot sight on my .22 and I guess that is the ultimate night sight, but it doesn't do a thing to help see a target in the dark.

In a high stress self defense scenario (I hope never to experience), I know I'm going to just point and pull the trigger. Over and over until the threat stops. I'm not going to be lining up sights at an immediate threat that's in my face. I practice every time I go to the range with a silhouette target at about 7 yards without using the sights at all. I find the XD to be a very natural pointing gun. I have no problem hitting center of mass at 7 yards without using the sights.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
260 Posts
A few weeks ago, I used "White Out" on the front sight of my XD40 SC and filled the "paint dimples" on the rear sight with flat black model paint. I like this set up much better than the 3, white dots.

WyoBob

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you use the Testor's model paint, I do not recommend that you keep the bottle in your range bag. It might leak and get on everything in your bag. Not that I know this from experience or anything... :oops:

jonas

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I didn't know there was anything to fall out. Thought it was just paint in the hole. I have just used the testors model paint to nice 'em up.
But you know, if you need an excuse to do some upgrades, sounds like an ideal time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all, long time lurker first post. I went and rented a 40 tactical the other day and the sights were painted fluorescent green. I found that I prefer this to the standard white for some reason.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
XD_Dan said:
+1 Did it to mine and the wifes, and :lol:

·
Registered
885 Posts
R Dub said:
I didn't know there was anything to fall out. Thought it was just paint in the hole.
Yeah...that's odd. :?
When I did mine, I had to use a small pick to get the white paint out. It wasn't difficult, but it didn't just pop out either.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Delija said:
My other three pistols (in sig. bottom of page) have all black sights. I've put a white dot on the front sights and I find that's all I need. .
How do they look? Were you able to get them to be perfect circles on an already black sight?

I may buy a 1911 w/ black sights, but I prefer the dots. I'm trying to figure out how to do it and make it look nice...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts