Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a set of Tritium sights for her XD-SC as a stocking stuffer (She is getting a X2 light as well. She asked for em. I love my wife.)

Anyway, I want to install the sights in my wife's pistol. I bought a set of punches and will be using a brass punch to do the work.

One small question- Is the picture below (camera phone, sorry for the resolution) correct for the direction of removal/installation?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My guess would be it doesn't matter, but I would do it the other way around.

On most firearms, you always drive the pins from the left side to the right, looking at the gun as if you were aiming with it. Not all pins are tapered, but it's a good practice to observe.

Try putting your slide in the freezer for a couple of hours before you punch the sight out. That will make metal shrink and make the job that much easier.

The brass punch will most likely leave brass marks on the sights. You can remove them with a bit of patience and the right products.

Hope she enjoys her new sights!

Alex.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The xd is one way on and off. I believe you are correct, but ajames would be the one to ask.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
There is NO directionality to the removal of the sights. They can go either way. I've measured the dovetail with a dial micrometer and there is no taper anywhere. Depth of the dovetail is the same either right or left side. There's even a picture on the forum somewhere of someone's rear sight falling out opposite of the way most people say that it must be removed. When my front sight came loose it would easily pass all the way through the dovetail in both directions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
just curious.. do you glue them on as well or just rely on them being squeezed in there? also.. does this affect aim at all?

·
Registered
409 Posts
my dawsons reccomended red locktight, but the rear had lock screws, and the front was so tight I couldn't imagine them to come loose.

I fully adjustable dawson precision, it did affect the point of impact, but then I just adjusted them where I wanted them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts