Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time out to the range, I was getting a case of the lefts--not left and low, just left.

Today, some bench testing at the range, and I discovered something about my vision and aiming. I was, several times, able to put followup bullets through the same hole, which I was very happy with. However, I could only do this if I focused on making sure I had the same amount of daylight on either side of the front sight, framed between the rear sights.

I'm middle-aged, wear progressive lenses. I find it difficult to pick up a good sight picture, at least good enough to be able to make high scores in the online competition (my best is 76 points at 15 yards).

I'm not a bad shot--and if I ever needed to use my XD for self defense, I'm confident I can deliver rounds where I need them. But increasingly I'm becoming convinced that my vision limits how accurate I can be.

Anyone else with this issue? How did you solve it, if you did? I just can't pick up the front sight and still see the target well enough to put shots on the bullseye--and in addition, I'm thinking my "lefts" are vision-related.

What I wish was that there was a sight with a finer front post, even something that looked a bit like the crosshairs in a scope. I've seen this sight:

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL SPRINGFIELD XD

And it's closer to what I think would work, because the front sight is a smaller pin that would be easier to place on a target further away. Even better might be something that had horizontal pieces sticking out from the rear sight like the horizontal hairlines in a scope crosshair.

Anyone seen anything like that?

Would such a sight, even like the above, help solve my vision issues by making sharper the picture I'm seeing?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same sort of vision problems that affect my acquisition of the "Straight Eight" front factory sight on my XD-40. In fact, I my eye problems completely eliminate any possibility of looking at my target with both eyes, so I'm essentially a left-eye shooter, having to close my right eye completely. I am forced to do the same thing when playing golf now!

I thought about changing sights, but I'm going to try some bright yellow sight paint and see if that helps. I found some paint call Bright Sights but I'd guess that any type of model or hobby paint would do.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
You can use your existing rear sight, and get the skinny front Dawson FO sight. That will give you some light on either side of the front sight in your sight picture. The FO is great for daytime shooting. It won't help you for night time though, which should be considered if this is a carry or HD gun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It s*cks to get old!

I also have aging eyes and find it difficult to see both the sights and the target -- particularly indoors. I've found that part of my problem, I believe, is that indoor with lower light levels my pupils are open wider which, like a camera lens, reduces DOF (depth of field) whereas outdoors, with much brighter light, my pupils are closed down more and, once again, like a camera lens that's been stopped down (higher f/#) the DOF increases and it's much easier to see both sights and the target.

I'd like to know from an eye doctor if one of the unappreciated aspects of aging eyes is the reduction in light sensitivity that requires the pupils be open wider thus reducing DOF.

Brian

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too wear progessive lens. I have trouble shooting with both eyes open.

I pride myself on been a pretty good shooter now i'm starting to wonder what happen to me oh ya i know getting old. I seem to have problem picking the front sight when its a gloomy day. I'm thinking on getting one of those glow front sight. My problem is gunsmith where i live are like trying to find a honest politician.

xd40 Tactical

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also have aging eyes and my left is now much better than the right. If I went back to shooting my 22 Marlin much I'd probably have to try it left-handed. What are progressive lenses? I wear bi-focals but progressive??
I practice with both hands at times because you may have no use of the right if theSHTF. Right might be shot, grabbed, missing or otherwise inconvenienced. Haven't really tried using the right eye much but think I should.
Old age is a problem but the simple technique of avoidance has never been all that popular.:)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Progressive lenses as well, main problem I have is sight picture at arms length with different length barrels. When I used to shoot several times a week, I had my doctor compensate for my sight picture. I held my arm out and we used the distance and a make believe barrel to focus at that length. Hope this makes sense. This worked at the time and I was able to shoot with a 4in to 6in barrel and see the sight picture. I need to go back and do it again now that I'm back shooting. I can see the rear sight well, but the front sight is a little out of focus.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Hate to hear of those with eye issues but thrilled to know I am not the only one with that complaint. Definitely have to close the right eye (left eye dominant anyway) to acquire the front sight. Constantly tilting the head to find it in the middle lense of the tri-focals. Even tried some cheaters as suggested by a gentleman I met at the range. Works for a while but things get blurry after a few clips are run throught the .40 Gave up and went back to the tri-focals and have finally found the right line to acquire the front sight every time; just wish I could make out a little more of the target. At least center mass is BIG even for my eyes.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also have aging eyes and my left is now much better than the right. If I went back to shooting my 22 Marlin much I'd probably have to try it left-handed. What are progressive lenses? I wear bi-focals but progressive??
Progressive lenses are a continuous change in prescription from close to far, and you bring something into focus by tilting your head to look through that part of the lens.

I've never used either bifocals or trifocals, but I imagine it's similar to how people focus through trifocals.

The problem is that I have to tilt my head back enough to focus on that front sight--I can do that, but it's an uncomfortable way to hold my head while aiming and shooting.

I practice with both hands at times because you may have no use of the right if theSHTF. Right might be shot, grabbed, missing or otherwise inconvenienced. Haven't really tried using the right eye much but think I should.
Old age is a problem but the simple technique of avoidance has never been all that popular.:)
Nor has the technique of avoidance been all that effective! :)

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can use your existing rear sight, and get the skinny front Dawson FO sight. That will give you some light on either side of the front sight in your sight picture. The FO is great for daytime shooting. It won't help you for night time though, which should be considered if this is a carry or HD gun.
I may end up doing that, though I'd have to get a sight pusher to be able to install it.

What I (think) I really want is something like this (skinny front post):

The smaller that front post, the easier to place on target for me. Plus such an arrangement would be like crosshairs in a way.

·
Registered
203 Posts
mongoose33, that's an interesting sight concept. Maybe you could purchase another rear sight and have a gunsmith or machinist make the cuts on it. Steyer has a sight that has a triangle front and similar cut out in the rear. You fill the rear with the front with some light on the sides with the top point of the front triangle at the point of aim. It lends itself to more precision aiming than the stack two halves type of sights now on the market. I have Hienie Straight Eights on my 1911 and they are really starting to grow on me. With my old eyes I'm leaning towards installing FO front sights on all of my pistols.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I may end up doing that, though I'd have to get a sight pusher to be able to install it.

What I (think) I really want is something like this (skinny front post):

The smaller that front post, the easier to place on target for me. Plus such an arrangement would be like crosshairs in a way.
That looks like a site that may work for me also, about the right size too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts