Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I purchased the Bright Sights Pro Kit awhile back. It's OK for coloring the sights although I think fingernail polish will do just as good.

I've also used the glow in the dark stuff. If you charge it up with your flashlight it will be extremely bright for a few minutes and will be visible for several hours. It will need to be reapplied every couple of months as it does quit holding "a charge" so to speak. Is it worth the dollars? Probably not. If you do use the glow in the dark stuff, apply it with a natural wood tooth pick. Don't use a colored one, it will stain the glow paint. I speak from experience.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Never used the stuff, but it says in the ad:

Pigment is activated by 10 to 30 seconds exposure to light. Glows brightly for 30 to 45 minutes... faintly for hours.
It is light activated so if you had it in your nightstand and you had a need to grab your pistol quick and conditions remain dark.....surprise, surprise, surprise! There are no dots! :x

Maybe store it in a lightbox? :shock:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it a pain in the butt to apply? it'd suck to have pain smeared all over the sights
do ya just put on the primer over the stock dots?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Both the glow paint and the Bright Sites come with a brush but I found that a tooth pick works best. You can just paint it right over the original dots. After the glow paint had dried I put a coat of clear fingernail polish over it. The glow paint is thick and sort of gritty due to the matierial in the paint that makes it glow.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
hobocircus said:
Never used the stuff, but it says in the ad:

Pigment is activated by 10 to 30 seconds exposure to light. Glows brightly for 30 to 45 minutes... faintly for hours.
It is light activated so if you had it in your nightstand and you had a need to grab your pistol quick and conditions remain dark.....surprise, surprise, surprise! There are no dots! :x

Maybe store it in a lightbox? :shock:
Yes, you are right. No dots. Not sights at all. But I can't think of a situation in which even self illuminating sights like trijicon (sp?) would help in the situation you describe.

Really, there is no such thing as being "invaded" in a room that is too dark to see the sights and therefore the threat/target. If you were, you couldn't shoot anyway. For all obvious reasons (like shooting a family member, house-guest, etc.). Besides, you're less likely to be seen by a bad guy than you are to see him first. You have been in the dark room and he has not. Unless he's been quietly standing in the corner of your room waiting for his eyes to adjust while you are sleeping. In other words, not the behavior of a robber/bad guy.

If someone is coming to get you with night vision equipment, they are not there to rob you. And if you are a target for such well equipped assassins, you are royally ****ed by the time they get that close. Where's your alarm? Your bodyguards? Your dog/dogs (best alarm there is). If they get past all that, it's too late for you.

Back to "reality"... if there is enough light from any source to be 100% sure that you need to shoot, bedroom distances would/should not require any kinds of sights. These sub 20 foot distances (and 20 feet from bed to anyplace else in a room would indicate a huge bedroom) should, IMO, be practiced on silhouette targets without using sights. Self defense and target shooting are different things.

One thing about the design of the XD is that it is ideal for point and shoot (as opposed to aim and shoot). It is IMO the perfect civilian self-defense gun.

If someone can give me an example that would illustrate how self illuminating sights in a completely dark room would be of any benefit, I would be very anxious to be proved wrong.

Thank you.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Delija said:
One thing about the design of the XD is that it is ideal for point and shoot (as opposed to aim and shoot). It is IMO the perfect civilian self-defense gun.
The ultimate point and shoot gun is a short-barrel 12ga, but that doesn't fit in a night stand. With proper shot selection, you are much less likely to hit someone in the next room, too.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Delija, will you run for President in 2008? I would vote for you! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts