Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of ameriglo night sights and don't really want to have to install them using punches as I don't want to damage the finish on the new sights.

I remmember reading on this sight that sig sight presses work with XD's. Which would make sense being that the Trijicon sights for XD's are the EXACT same sights they sell for sig's. I took my gun to a shop today to have the sights installed and the rear sight was to wide for the sig press. I have an XD.40SC. Anyone have a suggestion on how/where to have these installed in the georgia area?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
gunnewb said:
I just got a set of ameriglo night sights and don't really want to have to install them using punches as I don't want to damage the finish on the new sights.

I remmember reading on this sight that sig sight presses work with XD's. Which would make sense being that the Trijicon sights for XD's are the EXACT same sights they sell for sig's. I took my gun to a shop today to have the sights installed and the rear sight was to wide for the sig press. I have an XD.40SC. Anyone have a suggestion on how/where to have these installed in the georgia area?
Find a gun smith

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that the man who was dealing with my gun was a smith. I may be wrong. In any case there is only two ways, to my knowledge, to remove/install sights on an XD regardless of the skill level of the person doing the work.

1. A sight press (preferred, but is there one made that fits XD's?)

2. Pounding on them with punches (brass may not damage the sights but it will damage the finish)

If there is some other magical method that experienced gunsmiths have to performing this task I would really like to know.

In any case your response was not only a waste of your time and mine, it was also somewhat insulting.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I'd call around to gun shops in your area and if you have no luck with that then you may not have a choice but to go with the punch set or you could order a sight removal tool.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the info I'm looking for. Sight removal tool. Where can I get one, do they make them for XD etc... I live in central, GA right now and there isn't a whole lot in the line of shops out here. I'm going to be moving back to Portland, OR in a month I may just wait and have it done then. or have them installed when I have the slide refinished.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Gunnewb

As someone who installs on average about 2 sights a day on xd`s there is a little more to just pounding them in/out or pushing them in/out. If your smith could not get it done definately go to another smith.... or leave it with him and let him get them out like he want to. Its always harder to do if you have someone over your sholder. If he will not warrent his work go somewhere eles. If he scracthes your slide all up then there is a problem.

If you can get to Birmingham I can install for you. Or just send me your slide and sight I have a 24hr turnaround.

To get a sight pusher to install is about 600.00

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found on Midway this sight press which is the same one the guy tried to use on my rear sight but was too narrow for the sight.

They also have this one for the Sig Pro model only which looks like it might be a little wider. anyone know anything about this?

I was kind of over simplifying the process when I said just pounding them in/out. I have read enough on this board to know of a couple of the techniques used such as the freezer thing, which I still don't understand since cold would contract both the slide and sight nullifying the effect. Heating the slide and chilling the sight would work great for installation though I'm betting.

If I can't find someone local that I'm comfortable with I may just send you my slide ajames. Or perhaps I could stop by Birmingham on my way back to Portland next month.

You mentioned "if he scratches the slide all up" I'm not too concerned about that as I'm betting I could do it without damaging the slide. I'm more concerned about scratching up the finish on the sights themselves. Without using a press, is having some minor blemishes to the finish on the sights just something I’m going to have to live with?

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
That one wont work either Your smith should also have some cold Blue that can cover up any blemishes. Really the Ameriglo sights are oversized and need to be fitted. To fit the sights you have to use a file and shave off the bottom. Then after fitting the sight should tap in without a lot of force so your vials wont break. Use locktight and you sights are set.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
BGF

read the file part in my last post though you proved a point bith methods can be wrong if done wrong. Filing then install for a nice fit if you use a lot of force with either method you will break the sights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts