Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally when shooting iron sights like the ones that come on the XD (and that all my pistols have) I pay attention to lining the front post in the middle of the back and make the top of the front level with the top of the back. This has been working great for me.

But, I got to shoot steel plate the other day and it was awesome. Can't wait to go to that range again so I can shoot more. But, I noticed I was a little slow at sight alignment after recoil recover on the next shot.

Is it better and quicker to pay attention to the white dots and work on aligning them or does it matter?

It's just in the past I haven't liked aligning the white dots and getting good groups.

·
Registered
359 Posts
that old adage should ring true "front sight, front sight, front sight".

The dots are for quick sight aquisition. It is harder to align the dots (for me) than it is to align that front sight in the rear... After you've got the basic alignment, worry more about your front sight "front sight, press, front sight, press".

I sounds funny, but if you're holding the gun right, you'll be able to bring the gun up to eye level, "point" at your target, and the sights should naturally align pretty well. Can't do that with a Glock!!! (at least I never was able to, darn grip angle)

Again, that way, you can concentrate on the front sight. Now, I wanna go shoot some!

-stunks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stunksinatl said:

The dots are for quick sight aquisition. It is harder to align the dots (for me) than it is to align that front sight in the rear... After you've got the basic alignment, worry more about your front sight "front sight, press, front sight, press".

I sounds funny, but if you're holding the gun right, you'll be able to bring the gun up to eye level, "point" at your target, and the sights should naturally align pretty well. Can't do that with a Glock!!! (at least I never was able to, darn grip angle)

Again, that way, you can concentrate on the front sight. Now, I wanna go shoot some!

-stunks
Yup, I watch the front sight. I'll actually keep my eye on it the whole time through the recoil. But, I when I switch to my G26 it's got a real short sight distance so if you don't have those sights aligned well and I'm shooting those small plates at (I think they were probably at 30ft at this range.. looked farther than 25ft) gets pretty tricky.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sight alignment is the most importantpart of hittin a target, as far as the dots go, most people that shoot realy fast will just paint them black with some sight black.
As for speed, speed comes with practice, it's that simple.
Use a shot timer, and shoot a plate rack, hitting all the plates without a miss as fast as you can, then shoot about 200-300 rounds and time yourself again. You will be faster.
Just rember to see your sights lift for every shot, and you will get faster.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
i like the dots, but they dont make me any faster. i shoot just the same with all black sights as i do with white dot sights.

on the other hand. if you want to get faster, here are the 2 rules of speed:

1) slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
2) speed is the economy of motion.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
this is very true

I shot in my first IDPA shoot two Saturdays ago and going in I thought "be smooth don't rush and make good shots"

and finished in the top 5 of about 18 or 20

beginners luck? no doubt in my mind but I still did not push myself beyond what I thought I could do well.

PS go to an IDPAA shoot sometime they are a lot of fun.

pm

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.40-.45 said:
this is very true

I shot in my first IDPA shoot two Saturdays ago and going in I thought "be smooth don't rush and make good shots"

beginners luck? no doubt in my mind but I still did not push myself beyond what I thought I could do well.

pm
I've been wanting to but can't find any IDPA shoots around here. I've found a couple IPSC shoots though that I want to go out to sometime. I need more practice with this new gun though unless I want to go shoot the G26 if they allow it.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Intel486 said:
I've been wanting to but can't find any IDPA shoots around here. I've found a couple IPSC shoots though that I want to go out to sometime. I need more practice with this new gun though unless I want to go shoot the G26 if they allow it.
go to your local ranges and ask around there. the clubs do need a place to shoot. :wink:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
A front sight is great but for defense when you have to bring to point and drop the hammer you are most likely not going to use the sights you will use "point shooting" sights are only good if you have time to use them and you may not always be afforded the time in a bad situation

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
falman308 said:
A front sight is great but for defense when you have to bring to point and drop the hammer you are most likely not going to use the sights you will use "point shooting" sights are only good if you have time to use them and you may not always be afforded the time in a bad situation

not saying your absolutley wrong, but your wrong.

how you handle your gun every time you pick it up develops muscle memory. thats why you should train with your tool (gun). when you go into the fight or flight stage your midbrain takes over the thought process. you will revert to basic instinct sruvival and muscle memory. therefore, if you train to use your front sight... you will.

also, if you have never done "point shooting" -which has its uses- why would you all of a sudden use it in a defense situation?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
therooster said:
Intel486 said:
go to your local ranges and ask around there. the clubs do need a place to shoot. :wink:
The local ranges are all indoor and do their own shooting matches not associated with IDPA or IPSC. Will do the steel plate and one does bowling pins.

I belong to the large outdoor range in this area but they do rifle matches all the time. There is one other outdoor range I don't know much about but it doesn't seem to be that big.

I found an IPSC shoot they have once a month at the local sherif's range though that I want to head out to.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Intel486 said:
.40-.45 said:
this is very true

pm
Find one and go they are a blast and all the people at our shoot were very friendly and we all helped each other with tricks that work for us

·
Registered
166 Posts
stunksinatl said:
-stunks
Yes, the front sight is VERY important, but a lot of other factors come into play, as well. Other things to remember are:

Grip - Don't limp wrist OR strongman the weapon. A solid "handshake" grip is all you need. Too many guys try to squeeze the life out of their weapons and it throws off their aim. This is one reason why some women, who have less grip strength, can out shoot some of those burly "manly" men.

Breathing - Yeah, I know, "Duh!", right? Well, a lot of people tend to hold their breath right before trigger squeeze and this can throw off aim. I've seen it.

Trigger squeeze - SQUEEZE the trigger. Don't jerk it, snap it, yank it, etc. Dry fire drills are good for spotting/correcting this problem.

Practice / Training - You have to practice, practice, practice. Marksmanship is a perishable skill, and will degrade without practice. You can know all the good habits of shooting and it doesn't mean a thing without practice. Practice these good habits and rapid firing will come. You have to learn how to do it slow before you can learn to do it fast.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
therooster said:
falman308 said:

not saying your absolutley wrong, but your wrong.

how you handle your gun every time you pick it up develops muscle memory. thats why you should train with your tool (gun). when you go into the fight or flight stage your midbrain takes over the thought process. you will revert to basic instinct sruvival and muscle memory. therefore, if you train to use your front sight... you will.

also, if you have never done "point shooting" -which has its uses- why would you all of a sudden use it in a defense situation?
how you handle your gun every time you pick it up develops muscle memory. thats why you should train with your tool (gun). when you go into the fight or flight stage your midbrain takes over the thought process.
I believe every word you just said. That's why I have a problem with IDPA and other type shooting events. I carry my gun my way, 4:30 strong side under my shirt IWB. Most of these places have safety restrictions that don't allow me to draw from under my shirt. I would really like to find a club that would allow CHL style shooting.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
You dont need to belong to a club to shoot their matches (normaly). Whether its IDPA or IPSC (USPSA) your going to learn alot and your going to have alot of fun. Normaly USPSA matches have much higher round counts.

As far as the sight alignment, you dont want to outshoot your sights, learn to call your shots but on the same note, after much practice, you will learn to point shoot most targets out to a certain distance. This distance is dependant on your level. I blacked out my rear sights long ago and noticed a difference very quickly. My wife took some convincing and when she finally had me do it for her, her times and hits took her to another level. My rear sight is normaly a blur and I follow my front sight through the recoil and pull my trigger on the bouncing dot. You will eventually learn to shift your focus between the front sight and the target so that you can see them both in focus. Adding 2 more dots on the rear sight to this just slows you down. BTW, point shooting still utilizes your front sight but only as a quick reference. Practice will improve your shooting before you know it. Remember that your grip has alot to do with your followup shots. Consistency is the key to perfection.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I believe every word you just said. That's why I have a problem with IDPA and other type shooting events. I carry my gun my way, 4:30 strong side under my shirt IWB. Most of these places have safety restrictions that don't allow me to draw from under my shirt. I would really like to find a club that would allow CHL style shooting
I cant speak for any other IDPA events but we had to have a cover garment, and draw from concealment

1 - 16 of 16 Posts