Best choice for overall value and dependability

• SIG556 SWAT patrol w/picatinny rails

• RRA Tactical Operator2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I finally have it narrowed to 2 m4 options, but cant decide. HELP PLEASE!!

SIG556 SWAT patrol rifle
SIG556 SWAT Patrol Rifle

or

RRA Tactical Operator2
Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator2

and why.

And I know its "personal preference" so please withhold those comments. I love them both and would be happy with eithier, so Im looking for any insight on problems with one or the other, or praises, or interesting facts, dependablity issuses or praises, etc. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have the RRA TacOp2,

A couple of differing points,
Twist rate of 1 in 7 vs 1 in 9. 1 in 7 is better for heavier bullets (from what i've heard)
The sig is .5 pounds lighter, not much, but over time could make a difference.
The RRA MSRP is $300 cheaper.

With that said, I love my TacOp2. I only have about 250 rounds through it, but so far its had 0 issues. If I were currently looking for a rifle and had it down to these two I would take the RRA.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What is the intended use of the rifle? That's always a key point with me.
Now I haven't shot either of the exact models your choosing between but I have shot the original SiG SWAT model, SiG Classic, SiG pistol and one of the Elite Car models. I liked them all ( SiG pistol and classic model the least) for different reasons. The SWAT and the Elite both shot well and accurately. I'm actually leaning towards the RRA on this one...
Side note the RRA two stage trigger i love especially when you swap out the trigger and hammer springs for Superior Shooting Systems trigger and hammer spring set. It makes the trigger feel nice and crisp. You would definately notice the difference...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the intended use of the rifle? That's always a key point with me.
Now I haven't shot either of the exact models your choosing between but I have shot the original SiG SWAT model, SiG Classic, SiG pistol and one of the Elite Car models. I liked them all ( SiG pistol and classic model the least) for different reasons. The SWAT and the Elite both shot well and accurately. I'm actually leaning towards the RRA on this one...
Side note the RRA two stage trigger i love especially when you swap out the trigger and hammer springs for Superior Shooting Systems trigger and hammer spring set. It makes the trigger feel nice and crisp. You would definately notice the difference...

Well it would have a couple different purposes, first of all just a love of m4's, fun to shoot, do some fun/friendly combat competion shoots with some of my fellow vets. second is SHTF/the worlds gone crazy addition. I have a 7.62 and the 556 would easier for me to pass of to my wife(worse case senario obviously) dont plan on using it for hunting or anything.

honestly I am leaning more towards the RRA, at first for the first one I buy. And maybe Ill buy a SIG later on down the road. Theres something about that sig trigger that is making me lery of it. Im not familiar nor have I ever seen trigger like it. so if anyone knows anything about them Id be happy to hear it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'll add this...

SIG...small aftermarket...

Any AR clone...huge aftermarket.

I looked hard ad the SIG but decided against it for this fact. I can literally customize an AR exactly the way I want it (just like a 1911). The SIG...well, its a SIG and that's it.

I'm not necessarily telling you to get a RRA (which is what I own)...I feel there are better choices out there. For the $$ however, if you can get one of their deals for $999 or $1099, it's hard to beat what they offer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an RRA tactical CAR A-4. It is really sweet. I've got about 1000 rounds thru her so far, with only one FTE. It was a tulammo round with the green lacquer, pushed it out with a cleaning rod. Did some research, learned about the ejector spring, upgraded mine, put 90 more rounds of tula downrange without a hitch. So versatile also. Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you will be happy.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'll add this...

SIG...small aftermarket...

Any AR clone...huge aftermarket.

I looked hard ad the SIG but decided against it for this fact. I can literally customize an AR exactly the way I want it (just like a 1911). The SIG...well, its a SIG and that's it.

I'm not necessarily telling you to get a RRA (which is what I own)...I feel there are better choices out there. For the $$ however, if you can get one of their deals for $999 or $1099, it's hard to beat what they offer.

This cannot be over stated. Go with the RRA. (oh, and the SIG is ugly, that may not matter but then again, it might.)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm not familiar with that particular RRA, but the SIG is a gas piston rifle. I'm guessing the RRA is a DI operated rifle. Apple meet orange.

Additionally, the SIG is configured more like an AK - the charging handle is on the right side of the weapon rather than at the rear like an AR.

I've never thought of SIGs as "value" weapons - with the exception of some of their newer polymer pistols. They have a history of being manufactured to very exacting specifications and a price tag to match. Some would argue that their overall quality has gone down in the last few years but I haven't seen it myself. (I've owned a couple SIGs - pistols & rifles).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts