Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have both a Ruger LCP and a Sig Sauer P238. My cousin is looking for a personal protection gun for his wife and both he and she prefer the Sig P238. It is however, out of their price range. I am a still a novice with handguns so can you give me any suggestions of guns comparable to the Sig P238 that are in the $300 to $400 price range.

They want something reliable in that size (or slightly larger) with a safety and a shorter trigger pull like the Sig.

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
to my knowledge, there is none with similar trigger....the P238 is the best IMO

my suggestion is to take the extra time to save up your $$ and buy something youll be happy with and proficient with....there is no point in buying a carry gun you dont like and cant shoot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The importance of how a firearm feels in the hand and how it appeals to the eye cannot be ignored. Most of us purchase guns based purely on lust of the eye. How else can you explain one man (me) owning 15 handguns? Tell them to save their dough and buy what they want the first time around...but if they need to get something immediately, the Ruger LCP .380 can be found at budsgunshop.com for about $290.00 and ships for free. When it comes to Ruger products, you can never really go wrong.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Kahr CW series
Ruger LC9
Baby Glock 26 or 27, Baby M&P
CZ Rami
Beretta 9000 series
Maybe a 5 shot revolver, Airweight etc... In .38+P

Nothing is going to have a "short trigger like the 238". It is a single action 1911 trigger that you really can only get with a 1911 style pistol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are they wanting to pocket carry? If not, a larger single stack single action pistol like the smaller 9mm's currently out would be something to look at. (Ex LC9). The double stack pistols like the G27/26 and XDsc are larger guns. If IWB carrying they can both do well but weigh more and are thicker. I've carried a G27 and now a XD40sc. My P238 is a pocket gun. The SA triggers all feel relatively similar, especially when comparing to a double action like the LCP.

If they're wanting to pocket carry, from experience they don't want larger, and they either need to save up a bit more for the P238 or compromise cost with a longer heavier DA only trigger and get a LCP.

Personally, if they're not carrying at all I'd go for a full sized pistol, and if its for home only then I'd get a shotgun.

My advice would be for them to hit some shops or a gun show and handle as many as they want. Make a list of the ones they prefer the feel of. From there, get on the internet and search. Sort out the problematic pistols and keep the known performers. Then hit a range and rent their short list. Then decide based on how well they shoot, feel, and can operate.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
isn't the Smith Bodygaurd a traditional double action?

edit: nope, it's a DAO but it does have a manual safety.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own the Bodyguard 380, great gun!!! 575 rounds without a single problem.
Real sights, stay open after the last round, built in laser and very mild recoil.
All of this for around $350.00
I have a XD9sc, and a 1911 EMP 9mm, witch one I carry ?>>>>the Bodyguard, after more than 8 months in the holsterday after day, no signs of wear

·
Registered
1 Posts
Florida Gun Exchange. I found then on GunsAmerica Auction site. They have more in stock. Best to call them direct. $449 Shipped. Amazing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts