Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for an AR but there are too many to choose from. The sig caught my eye. Anyone have any info on this or a gun that may be better?

·
Registered
702 Posts
i had a sig 556 R (7.62) and the gun was good quality. however, there was a few issues that became deal breakers for me, so i traded it for a RRA ar15.

the regular 556 seems to have a decent rep though!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I've drooled over the Sig 556 Swat for years..
I've never bought one though..

They are pretty heavy compared to other similar rifles..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a SIG 556 Patrol SWAT and a Colt AR-15.

The SIGs have excellent build quality and reliability. Anything that takes AR style mags and has the gas piston reliability of an AK is the best of both worlds if you ask me. As for the weight, if 8 lbs is too much for you, hit the gym, seriously. I used to carry a 70 lb. pack and M4 + ammo in the Army. Personally, I think anyone bitching about the weight of an AR style gun in the civilian world is just being ridiculous and really nitpicking.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have one a love it! It is as accurate as my ARs; caveat: I shoot for serviceable accuracy not match or competition. Other owners report slightly better groups when really measuring in fractions of inches for ARs.

It does weigh more but is not a like lugging around a M-60. I have never had any mechanical problems from it in the 2+ years I've owned it and like it ergonomically more than my ARs. I am a lefty and like the fact that I can operate the rifle without taking my firing hand off the rifle. With ARs you have to break cheek weld to charge the rifle unless the bolt is already locked to the rear, and I have to remove my firing hand to operate the standard safety. I have replaced the safeties on my ARs to be ambi or lefty only so in fairness, this is not a huge obstacle to overcome on the AR. The 556 also can collapse to be smaller and more compact than a M4 but still has a 16" barrel.

The downsides to the 556 are lack of parts and accessories. The parts out there cost more and there are fewer companies making things to "pimp" your 556. The barrel twist favors heavier loads. I use 62 gr. and am more than happy but when using 55 gr. your groups will open up. If you want a super cool mall ninja type two or three point sling then the 556's folding ability is going to be useless as you will be constantly unhooking and re attaching the sling. Leave the stock fully extended and use what you want or just get a nice one point and hook into the rear receiver eye. The Magpul sling that is convertible from two to one point is very good on the 556. Many of the early 556s had problems but the thing has been manufactured for several years now and you hear less and less current complaints and just echoes of the first buyers. The 556 also has a lifetime guarantee if your concerned. I have used their customer service for upgrades and non-warranty work and it is good, not stellar, but they do what they say and have your guns back by the time promised.

I have no hesitation recommending the 556 and would do it all over again myself. Is it better than an AR? This is an apples/oranges comparison. I like it better simply because it is more comfortable for me to operate and I have not had any problems with it but I also own two ARs and would gladly recommend them or buy them over again. While it is not an AR I have found that for me, it fills the role of a home-defense/SHTF rifle very well. It is also much quicker and easier to clean and so it is much more fun to shoot for me. The ability to fold the stock also is attractive and useful to me as I travel a lot. I want a rifle that does not take up a lot of space in my truck or is easy to conceal inside something in a hotel room (like a bag or case) does not have the length and bulk that would make someone think "gun".

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
As you look at AR's you'll notice that the SIG operates more like an AK than an AR. Other than that, good quality. Fairly high price point. And, as others said, relatively limited aftermarket as compared to a "standard" AR.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My opinion is this one of my friends had a Sig 556 and it was nice to shoot and worked well. That being say I wouldn't spent the extra $$$ for a Sig over a quality AR like a BCM or Colt there is not enough over an AR to buy one. the thing that made my friend sell his "we have been shooting AR types since the 70s" is that you can buy every AR part from many vendor and most parts from the 4 local gun shops in the area I live. Try getting Sig parts if something breaks. It may not break but it may.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've got a sig556er that I took in trade for a gun I was wanting to get rid of. There's nothing wrong with it.

Sigs aren't high dollar guns any more, you can find them new for under a grand.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I had one for awhile and had no problems wit it, it shot great and was reliable as could be. I just traded it for another gun I wanted worse, ;) since I am heavily vested in the AR platform for the 223 cartridge, parts compatibility palyed a role in this decision.

Plus the trade was for a 308 gun that I'd been looking at for awhile, I needed a good 308 semi that would reach out there so traded the Sig for it.

I'll stick with AR's but would not hesitate to recommend the 556 as a go to gun if your not vested in the AR platform yet.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I had one for awhile and had no problems wit it, it shot great and was reliable as could be. I just traded it for another gun I wanted worse, ;) since I am heavily vested in the AR platform for the 223 cartridge, parts compatibility palyed a role in this decision.

Plus the trade was for a 308 gun that I'd been looking at for awhile, I needed a good 308 semi that would reach out there so traded the Sig for it.

I'll stick with AR's but would not hesitate to recommend the 556 as a go to gun if your not vested in the AR platform yet.
I'm happy with that trade. Glad that your are also.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
^^^ That makes two of us! :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Problems with the sig 556: not enough options/accessories. And the charging handle is on the right side. Really, overall ergonomics are a minus. And the trigger is less than stellar.

Benefits of the 556: I think it is the only mass produced 5.56 with a 1:7 twist barrel, and an external gas/piston system? To me, that alone makes it the best factory 5.56 on the market. AK 47/FAL reliability with AR accuracy using 62gr or bigger, now at the same cost as a regular AR.

Oh and the classic version is not any heavier than a railed AR. I'm sure the SWAT version with 2 extra lbs of rails feels really front heavy. You can get plastic accessory rails for the plastic handguards that should get the job done -2lbs.

I wish Ruger would make a 1:7 twist barrel version. The ergonomics of the Ruger are so much better. And I hate buying a swiss gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts