Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been trying to decide which 9mm to buy for a while, finally decided on two pistols that i can buy right now that are in my price range

one is an all black, LNIB Ruger P95 from a local gun store

it can be had for $310.00 + tax, which would make it $328.60 OTD

the other is an all black, used Sig P6 from a local pawn shop

it can be had for $400 + tax, which would make it $424 OTD

the primary use for this pistol will be for range use

both fit my hands well, the Sig a little better, but the Ruger's size may help it in the recoil department if it's not hurt by being polymer

all opinions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
480 Posts
You can get a brand new Ruger P95 from Bud's for $300.

The P95 is currently on sale at our local gun store for $289.

The Ruger P95 is a well made pistol for it's price.

The P95's grip is wide but it shouldn't be an issue unless you have very small hands. Mine is a DA/SA and expect the first trigger pull to be long but the subsequent shots are smooth and consistent. The standard white dot sights are not the best but you can always replace the front sight with Hiviz bright fiber optic sight in red or green.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Owning several Sigs, but never taking to the P6 or P225, I'd have to go with the Ruger.
In all my reading, I've heard very little trashing that ugly P95.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so three votes for the Ruger and none for the Sig?

complete opposite of the other place i posted this haha

thanks fellas

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never shot or held that Sig. but i love my p95 very accurate for the price.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
One more for the P95. It's all I need from a 9mm. Mine's a KP95DC that I've had since 98 or so.

doesn't cycle very well with walmart ammo, but if you put heavier (147gr) or +p ammo through it, it runs great.

I still shoot the cheap stuff at the range because it's cheap, and it allows me to practice clearing stoppages.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
P6/P225 is one of the best single stack 9mms on the market.When they were sub 300 a couple of years ago they were hands down the best buy in the gun market. I love rugers but the P6/P225 is one of my favorite favorite guns. get the Sig, its all steel frame makes nicer shooting than the polymer frame ruger recoil wise

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Had a P95 to begin with and it is built like a tank and ate anything I fed it, but at around 2,000 rounds it started to feel loose. When it fired it started to feel like to many moving parts and not like a tight feel like the XDm feels like. Not sure I can explain it better than that.

·
Registered
786 Posts
own 2 Sigs and no Rugers Sig all the way on that choice. you can get a XD service for less then 400 now and i like mine as a range/house gun

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Other than their 1911...Ruger's centerfire semi-autos are not all that appealing. I owned a P85 once and ditched it and never want another.

I own three P-series SIGs, would never ditch any of them and would gladly buy another.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Other than their 1911...Ruger's centerfire semi-autos are not all that appealing. I owned a P85 once and ditched it and never want another.

I own three P-series SIGs, would never ditch any of them and would gladly buy another.

- brickboy240

They are good reliable guns and they go bang just about every time, but when I was watching the movie Bulletproof and noticed Damon Wayans was sporting a P95 I sold it lol, too 90's looking.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
I had the original P95DC..it was solid

I call Ruger the MAC trucks of firearms....uglier than a mud fence..but TOUGH, and WORK....PERIOD!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've never owned a sig but a buddy of mine swears by his. They are heavy though. A ruger p95 9mm was my first handgun years ago. 3500 rounds of WWB and various HPs and 0 problems. Ruger makes a solid weapon. They are workhorses.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The P95 is reliable, and that is all. It is not pretty. It does not have a wide range of sights or holsters available. If one's only requirement is reliability then the P95 is promising.

The p6 is reliable. The p6 accurate. The p6 is a decent looker that will fit most of the Sig P series holsters. I am not familiar with your locale, but my lgs normally keeps p series holsters in stock. The only real detriments the P6 are 1) expensive mags. 2) light rail deficiency. 3) Weak finish applied to old folded steel slide.

I advocate handling, researching the Sig 2022. It fits your budget, and stated goals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both choices are good.
However, if I was looking given your criteria, I'd look at a S&W 5906.
They can be had for the same price or less than the Ruger, are high cap steel frame guns, and are probably the best steel frame 9mm made.
JMHO.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
i have 2-p225 and i have shot a ruger..i love my 225... great fun gun....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts