Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't bought it yet, but I am pretty sure I'm going to buy a new Sig P239 in 9mm soon. I'm taking the Ohio CCW class this weekend and hope to have my carry permit by Thanksgiving - and hope to buy my new gun by then, too. :D

I've looked at various compact pistols and the choice has come down to the Sig or a Kahr CW9. While the Kahr is an excellent carry gun, it just feels too small in my hands, plus I like hitting the range every week or two, so I need a gun I know will last forever.

Don't get me wrong - I love my XD and I'm planning to hold onto it, but it's a little bulkier than I'd like for everyday carry use, especially once the weather warms up again and I'm in summer attire.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Haven't bought it yet, but I am pretty sure I'm going to buy a new Sig P239 in 9mm soon. I'm taking the Ohio CCW class this weekend and hope to have my carry permit by Thanksgiving - and hope to buy my new gun by then, too. :D

I've looked at various compact pistols and the choice has come down to the Sig or a Kahr CW9. While the Kahr is an excellent carry gun, it just feels too small in my hands, plus I like hitting the range every week or two, so I need a gun I know will last forever.

Don't get me wrong - I love my XD and I'm planning to hold onto it, but it's a little bulkier than I'd like for everyday carry use, especially once the weather warms up again and I'm in summer attire.
Congrats on the new pistol. I would take a Sig over a Kahr any day of the week! Post pics and a range report when you can.

Chapie+

·
Registered
815 Posts
save ur money and dont get the kahr. i dont know if its just the cw series or what but i have witnessed a buddy of mine being plagued with problems with his cw40. who knows the 9 could be great and he could have just got a lemon. but...i was left with a bad first impression and will never own a cw series at least. plus i think most here will agree the sig is the better gun. but the better gun isnt always the best gun for the individual so shoot em both and see what happens. good luck

-perch

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
My experience with Kahr pistols is less that stellar, much less.

I retired my XD9sc to the nightstand.

It's replacement, a Sig P239 SAS in 9mm.
I love the Sig DAK trigger.
The P239 is now my main carry gun...
Although I much prefer the Hogue wraparound over the stock wood or stock plastic grips.

and she matches her twin sister, Gen 2 P229 SAS in 9mm............

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
My Sig 239 is my favorite CCW piece and the best purchase I ever made. My Kahr comes in a close second and the trigger pull is far smoother and lighter than the sig

I'd trust my life to either of them, but I still prefer the 239. Plus there are a wider variety of holsters for the sig, (although I love the 239/bellyband setup, that pistol just disappears):mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts

Im in Cleveland, let me know if you want to go shoot sometime.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've got a soft spot for compact, single stack 9mms. My favorites are the SIG P239, the HK P7, and the S&W 3913. Unfortunately, I no longer have a 3913, but having the other two in the stable makes up for it.

My old 239 is extremely reliable, and the trigger has really sweetened up. I can nail bullseyes in double action, a feat I can't reporoduce with any other pistol. It is perfect for IWB carry. Maybe now that it's finally cooling off down here I can start carrying it again. I thinned down a pair of factory Hogue walnut grips several years ago, and it makes it just right for me. Hogue used to say it couldn't be done, but then started offering the service after an in depth discussion (with pics) on the SIG Forum. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments on the P239, folks. :)

I think I've found the one to buy: A local dealer is selling new P239s in 9mm and .40 with SigLite nightsights, 3 mags, paddle holster and 2-mag holder for $765 + tax. By comparison, the local Gander Mtn is selling a new P239 with normal sights and two 10-round mags (and nothing else) for $750. If I can get the local dealer to throw in a Hogue grip (like on 1lowlife's gun above) I'll be walking out with it next week! Heck, even if they don't toss in the grips, it's still a pretty good deal IMO.

BTW, I'm planning to buy the 9mm version, for a variety of reasons. I know the .40 is a more powerful round, but there are some great 9mm rounds out there now, plus since I practice often I'd rather be able to buy cheaper target ammo and hit the range as often as I'd like. Plus you can buy 9mm ammo just about anywhere. There's also the recoil factor. I'm comfortable and pretty accurate with my XD-9 and have decided to stick with this caliber.

I'm finally taking the CCW class this weekend. I've been looking forward to this for months. My reward to myself next week (while waiting for my permit) will probably be buying a new Sig. :)

I have a couple questions:
1. Is there any 'wear and tear' difference between the normal black and (more expensive) silver slides? I like both but am thinking about having that dealer order me one with the silver slide, even if it costs a bit more. OTOH, all black is probably a little less 'flashy' for concealed carry, if you know what I mean. Still, I'd like to know the difference in long-term wear between the two finishes.
2. The Gander Mtn 9mm comes with the 10-round mags are not the 'extended' mags I see on Sig's website. They are the same size as the 8-round mags that have always come with the P239. So how are they creating greater capacity in the same sized mag? My (perhaps incorrect) fear is that in order to fit two more rounds in the mag they've thinned out the mag's follower and weakened the mag spring a bit, making both a little weaker, more prone to fatigue and perhaps even failure to feed if the spring is just a bit too weak. What do you think?

I'm pretty much sold on the SigLite fitted pistol mentioned above but just curious as to the 10-round (non-extended) mags. I don't think they're even listed on Sig's website yet.

nikon777 - That sounds great. I'll PM you when I know I have some free time to meet up and shoot.

boricua9mm - Terrific looking Sig! And it looks like new. Did you have it refinished at some point?

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Now that is nice... Id lose the DAK trigger though If I were to get one. Hows the recoil??
Recoil isn't that much different than the P229 Nikon777.
I know you have experience with Sig pistols.
I love the DAK trigger.
I've been carrying and shooting striker fired pistols too long.
I NEED a consistent trigger pull on my carry guns.
I tried DA/SA Sigs and the decocker was a PITA for me.
And the SA trigger pull was much too light, for me.
I know my limits...:rolleyes:
The DAK takes some getting used to.
Lighter trigger pull from the initial shot.
Same pull weight but much shorter reset for the consecutive shots.
You just have to keep the trigger back while the slide resets.
If you ever handle a DAK Sig, clear it, pull the trigger and hold it back, rack the slide while the trigger is back and see how short your reset is.
I love the DAK trigger.;)

·
Registered
992 Posts
boricua9mm - Terrific looking Sig! And it looks like new. Did you have it refinished at some point?
Thanks! That's the original finish, believe it or not. That pistol was my everyday carry for about 3 years, carried in a leather Sam Andrews McDaniel II holster. It's been retired to only "special occasion" carry. The Nitron finish has proven to be a very tough, extremely corrosion resistant finish. The only scratches on the gun are inside the magwell. SIG's two tone is a nickel finish, which is pretty good in its own right. I wouldn't go for the two tone over concerns of wear. I'd go with the two tone only if you like the looks. With that being said, I like the older style two tones, b/c they have the controls done in nickel as well. The new ones just have the nickel plated slide.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Tim, I have the 239 in 40 and love it. Congrats on the new purchase.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
There's a P239 that keeps catching my eye everytime im at my local gunshop too. Lately I seem to flirting with that P239 and the Walther P99c behind the glass...lol

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I still haven't bought that Sig yet. Still thinking about it, but decided to try carrying my XD-9 Service for awhile first. Checked out and almost bought a surplus P6 last night but the shop sold it before I could get back there to buy it this afternoon.

If I buy a new carry gun it will probably be a Sig, but I guess I'm not in a hurry to spend hundred of dollars on a new gun right now.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think the 239 is one of the best looking guns ever made...absolutely classic lines. There have been a couple on some local boards for sale lately but way out of my range.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Is the P239 SAS that much easier to conceal/carry than the "regular" P239? I'm also considering the P239 for a carry gun, but not sure if the increased cost for the melted lines is worth it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts