Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the fun of the new Nighthawk I hadn't yet posted anything on my other new gun, the P220 SuperMatch.

I've had it out twice now and it's a very impressive gun. It's SAO and it's my first single action only P series Sig. The trigger is very clean, crisp, and smooth with minimal take up and a very clean break right at around 5 lbs. It's a Sig Custom Shop gun so has their logo and it's hand fit, and it comes in the box with a test target of 3 shots in 1 hole at 25 yards from a rest and signed by the tester. Before I bought it I spoke with someone I've talked to and worked with at Sig (as much as I've given them over the years I really should have a direct line to their CEO) and he told me their most accurate guns are their SAO custom shop guns and I think he's right.

One of the pictures below is of a 2 mag group I shot offhand at 25 feet, so the gun is very accurate. I'd say it's right there with the 1911's. The grips while very good looking are too slick and are going, I've got my standard P series grip coming from Hogue, the chain link in black G10 grips. The sights are Sig's excellent target adjustable rears with night sight fronts, which is an excellent sight picture.

The difference between this gun and my P220 Match Stainless Elite is the frame on the SuperMatch is alloy where the MSE was all stainless, plus the MSE is DA/SA and the Supermatch is SAO.

I really like this gun, it's a very accurate shooter with minimal recoil, and excellent trigger, great sights, in a really good looking package. I need something to shoot regularly in 45 other than 1911's, so this gun and my Witness Elite Match take up those duties.

And on a side note, I did get a holster and have carried the DW Vbob now and then and it's not a bad carry at all. A bit heavy but nice and thin. It was my first Alien Gear holster and I'm impressed with their quality and price, for what I paid it is a very nice holster and you can adjust retention with allen wrenches just like you can on my best hybrid holster, the CompTac Minoutar, but the CompTac is over twice the price. The Crossbreed I use with my Glock, while a nice holster, you have to heat up the Kydex with a hair dryer to adjust the retention (sucks).

Attachments

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Delicious!

So the rear sight is an all-black serrated?
Yep, with just the dot tritium front. Very easy to aquire and get on target. On my X5 I had to color the black front sight orange to have something to pick up as the all black rear and front doesn't work for my old eyes, this set up is much better.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Yep, with just the dot tritium front. Very easy to aquire and get on target. On my X5 I had to color the black front sight orange to have something to pick up as the all black rear and front doesn't work for my old eyes, this set up is much better.
Nice, that's almost exactly how I prefer my sight picture - black serrated rear with a white outline tritium front. Of course, I'm a u-notch nuthugger, so that's the only difference. I could adjust, though.

Very nice pistol, and great shooting!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How's the trigger compare with the Elite Match?
Nothing has a better trigger than the Elite Match. Some, like the Nighthawk or SWPC1911 are equal, but the Elite Match is so good it's impossible to be better. Don't know if I just got lucky or they are all that way but mine is 3.5 lbs of perfection.

So to answer your question, the P220 SuperMatch is a good trigger but not as good as the Elite Match. Call the EM a 10, the Sig a 8.5.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice, that's almost exactly how I prefer my sight picture - black serrated rear with a white outline tritium front. Of course, I'm a u-notch nuthugger, so that's the only difference. I could adjust, though.

Very nice pistol, and great shooting!
Thanks.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Nothing has a better trigger than the Elite Match. Some, like the Nighthawk or SWPC1911 are equal, but the Elite Match is so good it's impossible to be better. Don't know if I just got lucky or they are all that way but mine is 3.5 lbs of perfection.

So to answer your question, the P220 SuperMatch is a good trigger but not as good as the Elite Match. Call the EM a 10, the Sig a 8.5.
I still need to go get one of those pistols. Yours a .45?

That 220 is way prettier though :-D

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Congratulations on your new Super Match Snap. Glad you like it, as it's a fantastic pistol alright. Here are my 220's. Oh and be careful or you may just find the X-Fives too :cool: . . .

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations on your new Super Match Snap. Glad you like it, as it's a fantastic pistol alright. Here are my 220's. Oh and be careful or you may just find the X-Fives too :cool: . . .

Sweet, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts