Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of puzzling to me.

You're admitting that your 226 made in the US is not up to snuff by releasing this. Makes your US made 226 seem second rate. Unless they are planning on closing down all production in the US, this is a baffling move. If they are planning on closing down all production in the US, then that is very unfortunate.

P226 German

With all that said....

...EEEEKKKKK MUST HAVE!!!
*ahem*

Carry on.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
oooh dang! def gotta get one of those

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Don't be fooled. It's a marketing gimmick. They are trying to cash in on the popularity and quality of their old W. German made 226s. The factory and people who made them 20 years ago are not the same factory and people now. There's nothing to claim this gun would be built any better than the U.S. version or as well as the old W. Germany version.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have 3 Sigs, A US made P220 W/Rail, A US made P226 in 9MM W/Rail and a P226 .40 S&W no rail. The .40 frame is made in Germany and the slide in the US. I have shot alot of the old sigs and to be honest when I shoot my new ones I see no differance. It may just be me. JR

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Actually I suspect that the reason for this is simply because their stock of old folded slides has been released. Basically, they have a warehouse of spare slides that are no longer needed to support warranty service contracts with major military and law enforcement agencies, most likely because the P226 has been replaced by newer guns. A couple of years back the same thing happened with the P228 and suddenly a discontinued gun was back in production. Makes me wonder how many P226 slides they are sitting on, if it's 100K or more that particular model may remain in the catalog for another 5 or 10 years.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Don't be fooled. It's a marketing gimmick. They are trying to cash in on the popularity and quality of their old W. German made 226s. The factory and people who made them 20 years ago are not the same factory and people now. There's nothing to claim this gun would be built any better than the U.S. version or as well as the old W. Germany version.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I totally agree and that is a great post Ocean82...;)

If one goes to the Sig website they have all kinds of different models of the same gun now.
A few years ago it was the basics, the way it should be.
All these new models are merely a marketing gimmick..:(

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
It is a bold move to proclaim to Americans "Buy German for real quality!"

Thanks, I'm going to go take down my flag now.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I call gimmick as well. From the pics, it looks like the standard familiar P226 but happens to be made in Germany. If you look at the new American-made P226 you will see that these have the new slimmer, ergonomically contoured grips. The old Sigs are pretty comfortable and I like their feel but the new Sigs feel way better; simply a case of "the grass is greener..." because both feel excellent in the hand.

I suspect they just had thousands of older lowers and needed a way to get rid of them and hit on the "German" as a good marketing ploy rather than saying, "We have a pile of old pistol parts we assembled and are now selling to compete directly with our newer products." Unless, the German is significantly less than the newer, updated US-made 226s, I'd opt for the US made with the new grip profile. That thing feels awesome in the hand!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
The one thing the German model has or has had done that the US model does not or has not had done is proofing. The German model is showing proof marks whereas US models being sold stopped being proofed years ago. To me that equates to better quality control, but I can't say that's enough to justify a purchase.

Top Gun Supply is selling them for $889. For that much, I'd rather get an HK P30.

·
Registered
642 Posts
good call ocean and all the others. My advice is:

why not just find a real german sig like i did :razz:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
No kidding!

There are still tons of nice older W. German P-Series guns to be had.

I am buying a W. German P226 next month to go with my W. German P220, P228 and Swiss P225.

And from what we are seeing with the 4th gen Glocks....Glock is following SIG's footprints and taking what was a very reliable pistol and turning it into hit and miss reliability.

...nice

-brickboy240

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eh, the GLOCK thing wasn't a defect so much as them shipping the wrong recoil springs, wasn't it? Still a huge blemish to have on your company when you claim perfection.

I had a W. German 220 that I sold for next to nothing (literally, I'm almost ashamed to let anyone know the dollar amount I let it go for) just because the guy who bought it really wanted one and I had some bills I wanted to clear out.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I call gimmick as well. From the pics, it looks like the standard familiar P226 but happens to be made in Germany. If you look at the new American-made P226 you will see that these have the new slimmer, ergonomically contoured grips. The old Sigs are pretty comfortable and I like their feel but the new Sigs feel way better; simply a case of "the grass is greener..." because both feel excellent in the hand.

I suspect they just had thousands of older lowers and needed a way to get rid of them and hit on the "German" as a good marketing ploy rather than saying, "We have a pile of old pistol parts we assembled and are now selling to compete directly with our newer products." Unless, the German is significantly less than the newer, updated US-made 226s, I'd opt for the US made with the new grip profile. That thing feels awesome in the hand!

The American made 226 you're referring to is the E2. There still is the standard fat grip 226 that's made in America. If you ask me, Sig needs to seriously trim their lineup. They have too many redundancies.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The American made 226 you're referring to is the E2. There still is the standard fat grip 226 that's made in America. If you ask me, Sig needs to seriously trim their lineup. They have too many redundancies.
Maybe.

If you go to Sig product page for all the P226 variants, you will see a couple of things. First, you will see as you point out about 14 million different versions of the 226 as you point out that just seem too much. Another thing is the one model simply called "P226" with out the Dark Elite, Navy, Combat, Enhanced, etc. descriptions is the newer version with the modified slim line grip. I believe the E2 does not mean a version of the pistol but, like when speaking of Glocks and "generations"; the E2 means that this is the 2nd gen. standard P226 and not just a special model within the P226.

I'm sure they will be selling the older, more familiar pistol like the German for years to come. It is just my understanding that the new grip design is now the standard and what the default will be from now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts