Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Sig 229 .357 sig with night sights. I've seen pictures with the 229 with and without the accessory rail. On Sig's website is shows them with the rail. The trigger gaurd is also slightly different on the ones without. Can someone tell me, is it an option? or does caliber matter maybe? I know the gun comes in 9, .40, and .357.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not sure, but I think the rail is pretty much standard equipment, unless you order the SAS version.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not sure, but I think the rail is pretty much standard equipment, unless you order the SAS version.
As you have said the rail is standard unless you get a special model (like the SAS) or a special contract.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
That's not true.... I have the standard 229 with sig night sites and it does not have a rail....

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I believe that Sig is now changing over their production to rail only pistols because everyone seems to want a rail today. However, I also think that they are holding a stock of rail less frames in inventory in order to produce weapons like the SAS series. If you don't want the rail (can't blame you for that, I am not a fan of rails) you have to hunt around for an older production pistol or try and find the SAS Gen II which seems to be damned hard to find right now. With the SAS Gen II you do get it all, SRT trigger, Night Sights, and a dehorned pistol with no rail. I just wish that Sig would make it a regular production gun.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I never had much use for a railed gun but to each their own. The only guns I own with rails are my XD's and my Sig 2340 and its a propriatary rail (old version).

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I never had much use for a railed gun but to each their own. The only guns I own with rails are my XD's and my Sig 2340 and its a propriatary rail (old version).
I like the rail to mount a TLR2 on. It is great for work and for the occasional bump in the night.

My old Sig didn't have a rail, but all the new ones I see do.

Chapie+

·
Registered
63 Posts
yep ... but if you look at Mudflap's 229, it's newer than the one with the flat takedown lever and still with no widget rail ... they don't put date codes on the underside of the slide on the 229 so it's harder to figure out when they were made, but Lab Guy got it right ... the rail on my XD's has never bothered me, it seems to blend in with the styling of the gun, but on a 1911 or a SIG they look like an afterthought, and not a good one

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
yep ... but if you look at Mudflap's 229, it's newer than the one with the flat takedown lever and still with no widget rail ... they don't put date codes on the underside of the slide on the 229 so it's harder to figure out when they were made, but Lab Guy got it right ... the rail on my XD's has never bothered me, it seems to blend in with the styling of the gun, but on a 1911 or a SIG they look like an afterthought, and not a good one
I agree. I never used rails and think they detract from the looks of a Sig. When I found an unfired CPO 229 without rails I grabbed it. The rails on a Sig just look like an afterthought.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I am not sure but could this have something to do with country of origin? My 229 has a German made frame without rails. The slide is made in in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
but Lab Guy got it right ... the rail on my XD's has never bothered me, it seems to blend in with the styling of the gun, but on a 1911 or a SIG they look like an afterthought, and not a good one

A very very Huge

+1

I hate rails on Sigs almost as badly as I hate them on 1911s, like you said, a very poor afterthought. Kind of like putting an elevator in an outhouse... just dont belong

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am not sure but could this have something to do with country of origin? My 229 has a German made frame without rails. The slide is made in in the U.S.
I think that's true of all Sigs with stainless slides.
You have to get one of the older Sigs, with the folded carbon steel slides, to get a gun made completely in Germany.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
That's correct. The only other current production pistol without a rail seems to be the 226 X5.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts