Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
heres my surplus p6 finished or refinshed

justinlemieux,

Welcome to XD Talk!

It looks great! Do you have any "before" pictures? The after is great. What did you use / how did you do it? Did you do any internal work? I've heard of folks replacing the trigger spring, etc. What do you think of the P-6? How well does it shoot / carry?

Chapie+

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gun was done by a guy named John baker @ Great West Gunsmithing. He cleaned the entire pistol, he may have replaced the springs because they look and feel new. He refinished the pistol in WW2 OD GREEN gunkote. He also refit the barrel and the grips are new. As for the feel of the pistol its great. They're lightweight and very handy and accurate enough. Of course my xd45 is my pride and joy! but you cant go wrong for $300

·
Registered
855 Posts
Nice! I almost bought a surplus Sig P6 in the last 24 hours, but the shop sold it before I could get back there. Oh well. Plenty of great guns out there.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
eeeeez niiiice i am excite! sexy time.

i like my p6. I havent refinished it yet. I have the same grip as you and a couple weeks ago replaced the hammer spring with a wolf 16# which really helped the trigger.

next up is todd @ custom creationz short trigger, and maybe then a trigger job.

and some bling polishing by todd, and a new color slide done by me (moly resin) and some trijicon night sights.

its a sweet gun for $259 it was a no brainer for me.

now i just need to find about 3-4 more mags.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
16 is awful light isn't it Bill? I swapped the 28# out for a 19 and its sweet. Need to post pics of mine just got the slide back from Todd. He cerakoted it in Satin Aluminum. The P6 is the best gun buy on the market right now

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
16 is awful light isn't it Bill? I swapped the 28# out for a 19 and its sweet. Need to post pics of mine just got the slide back from Todd. He cerakoted it in Satin Aluminum. The P6 is the best gun buy on the market right now
dang is that what the original spring was, it was a 28 lber ?

i just started with the lowest of the 3 springs, i ordered the wolf multi pack from midway. I havent shot it with the 16# others said it worked for them.

should i expect some malfunction cause of it?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
from what I have read going lower than the 19# mainspring can result in light primer strikes.

everything I have read says that while the commercial 225 can stock with a 24# main, the german police contract required a heavier double action pull which resulted in the main spring being bumped to 28#.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
from what I have read going lower than the 19# mainspring can result in light primer strikes.

everything I have read says that while the commercial 225 can stock with a 24# main, the german police contract required a heavier double action pull which resulted in the main spring being bumped to 28#.
yeah i think that sounds familiar, or was atleast brought up as a possible pitfall. Guess i have to go shoot it soon and make sure.

I got the three pack, maybe i should just put inthe 19 # if the old one was 28# .... maybe i cant even tell the difference between 16 and 19 ..... especially if i add a short trigger, and a trigger job.

hmmm decisions.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
yeah i think that sounds familiar, or was atleast brought up as a possible pitfall. Guess i have to go shoot it soon and make sure.

I got the three pack, maybe i should just put inthe 19 # if the old one was 28# .... maybe i cant even tell the difference between 16 and 19 ..... especially if i add a short trigger, and a trigger job.

hmmm decisions.
Keep us posted, I'm interested in the results. You def. dont want light primer strikes if your gonna carry it.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts

hmmm decisions.
Everything I have read says there is very minimal noticeable difference between the 17 and 19 so I guess another pound difference is going to be marginal at best. I ordered just the 19# by itself because that was what everybody seemed to be using. I would guess the 19 drops the double action pull to around 8 lbs and the single to 3.5 or 4. Would not want to go any lower for a carry piece.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Looks real nice.

I love my P6 too but decided to leave it with it's "patina" since it's my truck gun. Also have the same grips which I like a lot.

It's as good as my XD in accuracy. My only complaint with it is I am spoiled by the XD capacity, always looking for a few more rounds in the mag.

They are worth every penny - bone stock or restored.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
A lot of people that don't own them keep claiming that. I have a 17# in one, and an 18# in the other, and have never had a problem.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
does anyone know what the stock spring in a p225 is?

does wolf have a reputation for making springs that shouldnt be used?
i guess i should say, of course if you go low enough it can be a problem, just curious what the basis for say 18 or 19 being good, or 16 being maybe unsafe. Why does wolf make a 16 # spring then ?

i tried to get on sig forum once but they wont let me with a yahoo and google email. farkers.

maybe some sig expert chan figure this out.

how many rounds do i put down the pipe before i can think that 16# is safe ?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts