Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial Impressions:
When I received the Sig, I was immediately impressed by its condition. The finish wear on it was minimal, to the point where I am not even going to consider having it refinished. Most of the wear appears to have come from sitting in the plastic box. The internals were in terrific shape. There was far less wear on them then on my XD and I can only assume that very few rounds have ever been put through the gun prior to me owning it. Just to be sure, I did a quick field strip and cleaning, and came up with nothing. It was very clean and well taken care of by the previous user.

Range Trip:
I finally got the Sig out the range about 5 days after I picked it up. I purchased a batch of Remington UMC 115 Gr. Ammo for it. I ran about 150 rounds of the UMC through it with no problems. No FTF, FTE, anything. The Sig ran perfectly. I switched up the ammo to a box of CCI Blazer, with the aluminum casings. Again, no problems whatsoever, the gun ran fine the entire time. A friend that was shooting with me put another 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass through, with the same great results.
The gun is incredibly accurate, and is probably far more accurate than I could be with it. Groups were great at all ranges out to 25 yards (the maximum length for my range). I unfortunately forgot my camera, and didn’t get any target or action pics this time, but I’ll be sure to do it next time.
The trigger pull is very heavy in double action, however, with practice it is easy to adapt to and becomes pretty comfortable. In single action, it’s terrific. The magazines drop free easily and are pretty easy to reload with some speed.

Final Review:
I couldn’t be happier with this little gun. It fits perfectly in my hands, as well as in the hands of bigger and smaller persons. The fit and finish are terrific and it functions flawlessly. For a firearm that is 27 years old, it is simply amazing. The compact size makes it ideal for concealed carry. Although it does have a somewhat smaller magazine capacity, I am confident that its accuracy and reliability make up for what is may lack in capacity (besides, lots of us carry 1911s with similar capacity). Overall, I’d recommend that anyone who wants a high-quality firearm for a great price pick one of these up before they’re gone. Heck, I’m considering getting another one.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
I had plans to refinish mine as well when I ordered it. Once it arrived, there's no way I'd refinish it.

Go to Wolff gunsprings and get a lighter mainspring, it's a very easy swap out and helps with the heavy DA pull

A Fiber Optic and a nice set of wood was all I needed:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Nice, isn't it?

I really like the P225. Mine is a Swiss made version that was also a police trade in. Accurate and I have yet to find a round it won't cycle...even the 147gr subsonics that were designed 20 years after the thing was made.

Yes, it disappears easy in a decent pancake high ride holster and you forget its there. I don't fret the low mag capacity - with todays better performing 9mm ammo and the P225's accuracy - I have plenty of confidence in the lowly P225.

Didn't think an aging 8 shot 9mm could ever get you that excited...did you? LOL

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Congrats on the excellent acquisition.

Now you need to get yourself a W.German P228... Same great ergos, but with 13-15+1 capacity (depending on factory 13 or aftermarket 15 round mags)

I love my 228 and will never get rid of it. I have over 100k + rounds through it and all that was ever needed was one detail strip and one swap of the mainspring and recoil spring (preventative maintenance) and it has been absolutely flawless.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
you mention buying another one, it has crossed my mind, since the mags are $40 before shipping lol, i figure i get a second unit incase anything breaks and i get $80-90 in mags. That makes the gun a $150 gun, i could give it to my brother and tell him to buy some pro mags.

the mag situation is the only thing bad about the P6 as far as i can tell from taking it to the range three times. I am holding out that some day in the next year or two a big ole pile of mags will get dusted off in some ware house, or mec gar will fire up the stamping / presses and make us some new mag units since they have the dies, and they are just collecting dust.

I scored the pachmayr grips last month, huge improvement, and i placed a order with midway yesterday that included the wolf spring pack with the 3 or 4 hammer spring weights.

some day ill will order some moly resin and put on some trijicon night sights on the old girl, and she will be the prettiest gal at the ball.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Congrats on a great gun!

Great report!

Where did you get it / who did you order it through?

Did you pay extra for a special pick?

How much was it?

What did it come with?

Chapie+

Initial Impressions:
When I received the Sig, I was immediately impressed by its condition. The finish wear on it was minimal, to the point where I am not even going to consider having it refinished. Most of the wear appears to have come from sitting in the plastic box. The internals were in terrific shape. There was far less wear on them then on my XD and I can only assume that very few rounds have ever been put through the gun prior to me owning it. Just to be sure, I did a quick field strip and cleaning, and came up with nothing. It was very clean and well taken care of by the previous user.

Range Trip:
I finally got the Sig out the range about 5 days after I picked it up. I purchased a batch of Remington UMC 115 Gr. Ammo for it. I ran about 150 rounds of the UMC through it with no problems. No FTF, FTE, anything. The Sig ran perfectly. I switched up the ammo to a box of CCI Blazer, with the aluminum casings. Again, no problems whatsoever, the gun ran fine the entire time. A friend that was shooting with me put another 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass through, with the same great results.
The gun is incredibly accurate, and is probably far more accurate than I could be with it. Groups were great at all ranges out to 25 yards (the maximum length for my range). I unfortunately forgot my camera, and didn’t get any target or action pics this time, but I’ll be sure to do it next time.
The trigger pull is very heavy in double action, however, with practice it is easy to adapt to and becomes pretty comfortable. In single action, it’s terrific. The magazines drop free easily and are pretty easy to reload with some speed.

Final Review:
I couldn’t be happier with this little gun. It fits perfectly in my hands, as well as in the hands of bigger and smaller persons. The fit and finish are terrific and it functions flawlessly. For a firearm that is 27 years old, it is simply amazing. The compact size makes it ideal for concealed carry. Although it does have a somewhat smaller magazine capacity, I am confident that its accuracy and reliability make up for what is may lack in capacity (besides, lots of us carry 1911s with similar capacity). Overall, I’d recommend that anyone who wants a high-quality firearm for a great price pick one of these up before they’re gone. Heck, I’m considering getting another one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on a great gun!

Great report!

Where did you get it / who did you order it through?

Did you pay extra for a special pick?

How much was it?

What did it come with?

Chapie+
I ordered it through AIM Surplus. It was 269 plus shipping, so I think it was around 280 total. I didn't pay for a special pick, although it was offered for 10 bucks. It came with 2 magazines, a mag holder, and a holster, all also in terrific shape.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Before you CC with it, verify your favorite JHPs work for it. I tried some WWB JHP 147g and my P6 would FTF with it. I only had enough for one mag, but it happened on 3 of the 8 rounds. It won't be replacing my EMP as my CC piece, so I wasn't too worried about it, but figured I'd let you know in case you were planning on CC.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Hi-Viz was closing out the FO front sights, I bought a couple for my P6s. Replace the spring, you'll be really happy.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I love the P6's , after I do the feedramp remachine on them to fix the HP problem , I usually add one of my short triggers and one of my SS guide rods and she is good to go. I have a set of Marschal grips on one and another pair coming for my other one. I just sold a set of siles grips , those were pretty nice too. Right now I think I own 6-7 of them and 1 P225.

They are fun because they are a Sig and they are cheap.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Every one is different. My early 80s P225 will feed 147gr WWB as well as Silvertips and SXTs.

Try it and see...it might feed HPs just fine.

If not, theres always the Cor Bon Pow'r Ball ammo that does not require you to alter the feedramp or otherwise adjust the pistol. Always a good and least expensive option.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Check Gunbroker and e-bay...I used to see P-Series short trigger for sale there all the time.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Initial Impressions:

Range Trip:

Final Review:
Get a 16 pound hammer spring from Wolf, it will do wonders for your trigger. I replaced the hammer spring on mine.
Pat

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm definitely going to be replacing the spring to lighten up that trigger pull a bit. Perhaps the next will be to put some different grips, but for now I just plan to shoot it...a lot. :mrgreen: It's really nice to be able to run through some 9mm and not pay the premium for .45 around here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts