Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Romy AKM (a Lancaster build) without a side mount base plate to accept Russian optics. I'm thinking about using my AK as a hunting rifle as well as my SHTF weapon and am interested in adding this plate.

All I'm seeing on the left side of the receiver are rivets that I imagine would have to be removed to install the plate.

How is this done? Is this something that I can do easily or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Anywho, any response would be welcome.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This outfit sells lots of AK accessories, including side rails. Finding the right on for your particular AK may be a challenge:

Avtomats in Action!

·
Registered
20 Posts
PV, ran into the same problem w/ my Romy, Found a replacement reciever cover w/ scope mounts, That works best, Most of the side mounts I found were not tight to the gun and thus the scope would be OFF each time u use it, The replacement cover works fine and the rifle shoots wonderfully for what it is....LOL:p

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
PV, ran into the same problem w/ my Romy, Found a replacement reciever cover w/ scope mounts, That works best, Most of the side mounts I found were not tight to the gun and thus the scope would be OFF each time u use it, The replacement cover works fine and the rifle shoots wonderfully for what it is....LOL
im sorry but that is the worst ak scope mounting advice ive ever heard. the dust cover or "receiver cover" is not a solid mounting point for anything its held in place by the recoil spring. and a lip on the front sight base.

the best optic mounts for AK's are the orginally designed receiver side mount plates as that is about the only place to get a solid mounting point. the side plate is rivited in place so i dont see how it would not be tight? I mounted one to a bulgarian AKS-74 and its a heckuva alot tighter than the dust cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Blef,
Have you seen a Reciever cover mount?
1. The original"Dust" Cover is discarded
2. The replacement is a machined replacement(Aluminum)
3. Has two screws at the rear to fasten it to reciever
4. Is fitted under the front like original
5. Scope mounts are integral to replacement cover, No possible movement
As I said it works very well for me, 30$ in the cover
10 shots @ 75 yards inside a 2 inch circle with a Red Dot
I think that's pretty good for a stock Romy, No other work done.
No trying to start anything, Just "Statin the Facts":D:D:D

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only problem is that I have matching serial #'s on all my AK parts, including the receiver cover and I don't want to replace it.

I see a lot of side plate options. Of these, which would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Blef,
Have you seen a Reciever cover mount?
1. The original"Dust" Cover is discarded
2. The replacement is a machined replacement(Aluminum)
3. Has two screws at the rear to fasten it to reciever
4. Is fitted under the front like original
5. Scope mounts are integral to replacement cover, No possible movement
As I said it works very well for me, 30$ in the cover
10 shots @ 75 yards inside a 2 inch circle with a Red Dot
I think that's pretty good for a stock Romy, No other work done.
No trying to start anything, Just "Statin the Facts":D:D:D
Do you have a link to the one you got? Do you have any zero problems when you remove the cover for cleaning? I've heard mixed reviews about the replacement receiver type mounts so it'll be great to find one that works. DPH Arms has one that goes on TOP of the OEM cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts