Springfield XD Forum banner

SHTF Newb (anyone else?)

7K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  Bonehead 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else that was never before a firearms hobbyist is in the same place I am right now.

I've owned a single handgun for about 20 years, and I haven't had it out in at least 10. About 2 years ago, I announced to my wife that I was buying a shotgun, I felt like it was something I just had to do. She said the hell you are, and we fought about it for awhile.

We separated about a year ago, and the first thing I did was buy that shotgun. About 6 months later, I bought an XDm .45, although I had been saving for it ever since I sealed the deal on the shotgun.

Now I'm busting my ass working all of the overtime I can so I can buy my first AR-15. As with the last two guns, I feel like I can't buy it fast enough. I know I will have it ordered within a month, but it stresses me out to know I don't have it yet.

I was wondering if anyone else has the same sense of urgency that I have in building my collection, I know most of you already are already well ahead of the curve and stocking up on ammo, food, and practicing.

#2 ·
I grew up with guns and hunting, but it is only in the last few years that I became a "gun guy". I did start to get a little anxious when the Middle-East was really ramping up recently (and I don't think that threat is gone, only slumbering a bit and building up in quiet). None of us are as prepared for everything as we'd like to be. We can only do what we can. Push preparedness too hard and other things that might be more important suffer. If we knew the date and nature of the catastrophe to come, that would be one thing, but we are all just imperfect beings working with limited knowledge.

ps. I think an AR or something along those lines is one of the most important survival tool you can have (all sorts of firepower in a small and light package), but you may want to look at getting a 22lr first. Cheaper purchase price for the gun, cheaper, lighter and more readily available ammo, not to mention much quieter. A 22lr can drop a white tail or a zombie, equally as easy with a shot to the head. I've even heard of someone using a 22 to poach moose. He'd canoe up to a swimmer, and pop it in the head point blank, then drag it back to shore. I should probably get something like a Ruger Charger next (the gun and 1,00 rounds of ammo would fit in a shoe box), but I will probably get something less useful.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice Groo. I feel like the window for buying arms and ammo is closing fast, that's part of my perhaps unreasonable anxiety. I feel like I only have the time and $ to buy the next one, so that's why I'm skipping some otherwise logical experience steps. Firearms and ammo are gonna be banned long before other essentials. But I'll definitely research the 22LR.

#4 ·
well for me i always liked guns, and the first chance i have to getting one i did. my first gun is a XDm-9 in the 3.8 size barrel. after shooting at the range a couple of time, i wanted to get something bigger like a shotgun or a rifle. but with my job, plus fixing up my race car, and my wife schooling i can bearly save up enough to buy a decent ar-15. started to look at ak and they was still to expensive to buy for me at least. shotgun was more in my price range, i have it down to either a rem. 870 express or a mossberg 500 persuader. as said before 22lr rifle are priced lower. right now im looking at ruger 10/22, issc mk22, and s&w m&p15-22. plus ammo for 22lr are dirt cheap, at the gun show i saw a case of 5000 rd for like 180$. i feel im going at a good pace with my BOB/Zombie survival stuff, i am only 22 year old and already thinking the worst in the world.

ps. have you checked out the ruger mini-14? i know it not tacticool but it get the job done with a .223. sorry for my rambling i just want you to know your not the only one stressing on building there gun collection.

#5 ·
You are definitely not alone. I bought a 22lr pistol first so I could practice on the cheap and learn all the things about proper gun ownership and maintenance. I then bought a gun locker to keep things safe, that was followed by a Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22 rifle. Again, based on the advice from the forum here. I can learn to use the weapon, its built just like a real AR but I can shoot it for pennies.

Then came my XDm 9mm 4.5. I thought about the sub compacts but this is intended to be my SD gun and I wanted it to be the one I would use in an SHTF scenario so I got the full size gun. Someday I might get a sub compact model but I wanted one pistol to use for everything right now.

Currently I'm saving up for the wife's handgun. She's got her eyes set on a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 38. We stopped by the Bass Pro Shops today and fondled quite a few pistols and I think it solidified her decision.

Then once we get that I've got my eye on a shotgun. Then a bolt action 22lr for the boys to shoot, then an AR, then maybe a smaller pistol, then a hunting rifle, and so on.

I'm fortunate my wife has also realized the relative insecurity and while we've been preparing our family, we had no way to prevent someone else from coming and taking our preparations. We had completely left out defense...

So, you are not alone, and sometimes when I read the news about the UN and Obama and pending gun legislation I want to get out and acquire these even faster while I still can. I'm prepared to buy them on credit if need be but till then, I live by the old fashioned "save up and pay cash".

#6 ·
I felt that way a while back my first gun was my 870 since I was given my 10/22 a few years before as a gift. After my deployment I bought a P-14, then my kimber 8400, then a Keltec PF-9, then a M&P 9 Pro, lastly I finished my AR build last spring.

Building up the Ammo (still need more .556 and .308 ) while slowly moving the focus to food and water, I've been buying 8 cases of water a week for a few weeks and the stuff builds up fast, wish I would have thought about a way to rotate it first though. Luckily i'm getting more and more confident with each purchase.

Just hang in there and make the steps when funds are available.

#7 ·
Water source, food stores and source, firearms, shelter.

All four are important. You need all four. Without one the others do not matter.

Make sure you take a look at what you have and not concentrate too much on only one.

#8 ·
I am pretty new to this. I have owned handguns before but it was a passing thing. I would buy it and have it a while end up needing money and sell it before I fired it.

recently, I do feel like I don't have enough food and not enough ammo. I see so much stuff I need to just be not even close to being ready. I feel pressed to buy supplies and learn to use them. economic collapse feels like its upon us and we don't know it yet. civil unrest is all around us in small doses. I feel like its going to happen and leave us in riots and hardship.

I hate feeling paranoid but I dont know how anyone can see any news and not see it coming.

#9 ·
I see SHTF is on the way. I do what I can day to day. I make preps as best as I am able, as time and finances dictate. I live my life not worried about tomorrow.

#10 ·
I shot a gun for the first time (once) at 19 and not again until I went to Basic Training at age 22.

Lately I have felt a sense of urgency. I have been buying more "high capacity" (as in over 10 round) magazines for th guns I own and hurrying up and buying guns I see getting restricted. I intentially put off the purchase of the old Remington 700 bolt action because that will be one of the last type guns they ban.

I didn't buy into the fear-mongering when President Obama was elected but I do think as a whole our rights are always hanging by a thread.

Now once you have a fire arm or 2 don't forget to stock up on long term food and a good water filter!

#11 ·
Hmmm? I get my taxes done from a guy in Millersville. Know the area well.
Survivalist Forum Survival Gear Reviews and Self Sufficiency Articles
Check out this site, you will find a lot of information. But take it with a grain a salt, not verbatim.

The above site and this XD forum is why I bought my XD-9, I have three 16rd mags.
I have other guns that are specific for their use.

But I lost everything in a boating accident, they're in the bottom of the Chesapeake.

dan

#12 ·
#13 ·
You are one of the chosen ones and like a moth to a flame, feel the pull to survive the Coming. Don't fight it, just accept/trust it. :D

That's how it kinda starts, with the first pistol/rifle/shotgun. Next thing you know, you're up to 5+. It's very addicting.

If I may suggest, give Bravo Company USA a look (BravoCompanyUSA.com). They really provide top notch equipment for a reasonable price. I think others have recently felt what you're feeling and Bravo has gone out of stock with a lot of uppers, but you may be able to get an entire rifle.

#14 ·
I'm in the same spot right now... My uncle gave me my first gun about a year ago-just a single action 22lr revolver, but enough to get me hooked. I then bought a XDm, then a 10/22, then a 30.06, and found out recently that I'm getting my grandfathers old shotgun (very very excited!). Its a little different for me because on top of being prepared for the worst I want to get into hunting (also expensive but beneficial if SHTF).

I've just been doing what I can to stockpile stuff in a safe place, and more importantly, I've been paying more attention to my surroundings. Doesn't matter how prepared you are to grab your stuff and leave if you don't know where you are going, how you are getting there and how to survive when you get there.

In any case, its been said before but no one is prepared for everything they want to be... just be more prepared than the people around you and hope for the best.

#15 ·
You are one of the chosen ones and like a moth to a flame, feel the pull to survive the Coming. Don't fight it, just accept/trust it. :D

That's how it kinda starts, with the first pistol/rifle/shotgun. Next thing you know, you're up to 5+. It's very addicting.

If I may suggest, give Bravo Company USA a look (BravoCompanyUSA.com). They really provide top notch equipment for a reasonable price. I think others have recently felt what you're feeling and Bravo has gone out of stock with a lot of uppers, but you may be able to get an entire rifle.
+1 on Bravo Company. They will take great care of you. You also get a nice little magazine in the box and I got a free hat.

I had to wait a while on their upper and BCG. But it was worth it. I would seriously consider getting one of their complete rifles. Or do what I did, get a Rock River lower with a BCM upper. This way the lower gave me Rock Rivers good two stage trigger and a nice grip. Plus the bigger trigger guard for gloves.

Sent from my Android via Tapatalk.

#16 ·
Doesn't matter how prepared you are to grab your stuff and leave if you don't know where you are going, how you are getting there and how to survive when you get there.

In any case, its been said before but no one is prepared for everything they want to be... just be more prepared than the people around you and hope for the best.
I have no place to bug out to, and no realistic chance of getting there; I live in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. My neighborhood is about 120 houses with a large outside circle road and an inner circle road within, and relatively secluded from the suburban sprawl, surrounded on 3 sides by acres of open farmland, with a wooded area on the 4th side. Our community is extremely tight-knit, with a pool/community center and regular social events etc. My house would be difficult to defend as a single entity, but if a decent number of my neighbors are as prepared as I plan to be, I don't think it would be difficult to defend if we pulled together.

#17 ·
I have no place to bug out to, and no realistic chance of getting there; I live in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. My neighborhood is about 120 houses with a large outside circle road and an inner circle road within, and relatively secluded from the suburban sprawl, surrounded on 3 sides by acres of open farmland, with a wooded area on the 4th side. Our community is extremely tight-knit, with a pool/community center and regular social events etc. My house would be difficult to defend as a single entity, but if a decent number of my neighbors are as prepared as I plan to be, I don't think it would be difficult to defend if we pulled together.
SP1 seems like a good guy and it seems like he knows his stuff.

#18 ·
The problem you can run into is if your neighbirs aren't interested and you give away you are prepared then they will head to your house. If i were in tour shoes I would get out of the Baltimore dc area if a major shtf happened any way any how. I don't advertise to anyone really that I'm prepping. I mean my dealer and his employee know I have a stash of ammo and my close family and inlaws know, but that's it. My inlaws live approx 1 mile away grand parent inlaws 1.5 miles away with a farm, and wifes uncle is about 1.5 miles away.

#19 ·
The problem you can run into is if your neighbirs aren't interested and you give away you are prepared then they will head to your house. If i were in tour shoes I would get out of the Baltimore dc area if a major shtf happened any way any how. I don't advertise to anyone really that I'm prepping. I mean my dealer and his employee know I have a stash of ammo and my close family and inlaws know, but that's it. My inlaws live approx 1 mile away grand parent inlaws 1.5 miles away with a farm, and wifes uncle is about 1.5 miles away.

I have no reason to like or trust my ghetto neighbors. there are some neighbors around here that pulled together when we had a natural disaster. I trust them to a point but I still don't want them to know I have weapons and am prepping.

I am weird about sharing too much with people that are too close for comfort.
like my buddies in TX know my business as the people in my group do. as far as random people in my city or people that can somehow figure me out I try to guard my business.

its bad because family knows and I have to constantly struggle for the younger people to keep their mouths shut. I see it as "us or them" and that's hard for a kid to understand. I have had the "but they are our friends and friends should be included" argument used against me. I feel like its a judgement call. its not that DON'T trust our neighbor friends but I am really not comfortable with too many people knowing. I wish I could figure out a way to kind of get them thinking about it and acting on their own without full disclosure of my business.

really though all they need to do is catch me on my way to the range to see I have rifles. that's not really the issue as much as people thinking I have a treasure trove of food stashed.

I really dont know how long I would be able to maintain that because the smell of BBQ and food cooking fills the neighborhood when I cook out. that's how food would be prepared so I think it would be given away the first week.

I dunno I am still trying to figure it out. maybe I am being too paranoid about who knows things. am I being unreasonable?

I am weird about pics of my stuff being online too.

what do you think? security minded or paranoid?

#20 ·
what do you think? security minded or paranoid?
I thought I was 'security minded' until my house was broken into last year. It's likely they will be back for more. I have since taken every 'paranoid' precaution I can to make my dwelling as uninviting to a thief as possible (Considering they went door to door until they found an easy target, I doubt they'll try again here. If they do, well, good luck to them).

To your question, can you be too prepared without crossing the line into paranoia? My answer: who cares?

#21 ·
That's not my problem at all. My problem is that my neighbors might think I'm crazy and well armed. They already know I'm divorced, have alot of women over and I drink a bit. My neighborhood is full of families with very young children, and I'm sure they already steer clear of me.

#22 ·
if I have to reveal my stuff to my neighbors I will but I would prefer they have no idea whats going on over here. if asked about the camo "assault rifle" bag I am certain I will say "the 10/22" and probably produce it and hope they go for it rather than pressing further.

I have a pretty good idea how people feel about AK's and wouldn't want to spook anyone over a perception or misconception. ya know? if pressed I would try to educate and be a good ambassador lol

at the same time I don't want them to be in a world of hurt if something happens. having them over here during an emergency situation would kill my preps pretty fast. it would be nice if they had their own.

#23 ·
That's not my problem at all. My problem is that my neighbors might think I'm crazy and well armed. They already know I'm divorced, have alot of women over and I drink a bit. My neighborhood is full of families with very young children, and I'm sure they already steer clear of me.
^ I understand this feeling except I'm not divorced.

I'm the shaved head, tattoo'd white boy with the loud ford truck. I don't fit in here. the LAST thing I need is to be the crazy AK guy that hoards food.

#24 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has the same sense of urgency that I have in building my collection, I know most of you already are already well ahead of the curve and stocking up on ammo, food, and practicing.
I'm right there with ya. I have my XD 40 and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge shotgun, but really want to get an AR-15 quickly. Not only to get ready for when SHTF, but also because it'd just be sweet to own!:cool:

#26 · (Edited)
I grew up with guns and hunting, but it is only in the last few years that I became a "gun guy". I did start to get a little anxious when the Middle-East was really ramping up recently (and I don't think that threat is gone, only slumbering a bit and building up in quiet). None of us are as prepared for everything as we'd like to be. We can only do what we can. Push preparedness too hard and other things that might be more important suffer. If we knew the date and nature of the catastrophe to come, that would be one thing, but we are all just imperfect beings working with limited knowledge.

ps. I think an AR or something along those lines is one of the most important survival tool you can have (all sorts of firepower in a small and light package), but you may want to look at getting a 22lr first. Cheaper purchase price for the gun, cheaper, lighter and more readily available ammo, not to mention much quieter. A 22lr can drop a white tail or a zombie, equally as easy with a shot to the head. I've even heard of someone using a 22 to poach moose. He'd canoe up to a swimmer, and pop it in the head point blank, then drag it back to shore. I should probably get something like a Ruger Charger next (the gun and 1,00 rounds of ammo would fit in a shoe box), but I will probably get something less useful.
I agree with GROO, a scoped Ruger 10/22, can do alot of damage pretty accurately and pretty quietly, as well as alot cheaper than a 223. I also just saw a 3 X 9 ( scope (redfield)) on a Remington 22LR at WalMart for $177.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.