Springfield XD Forum banner

SHTF for extremely low incomes

9K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  Bonehead 
Honestly, a low income is probably better than a huge bankroll for prepping for the end. It gets you in the mindset for doing for yourself. That is more important than some high-end water purifier or an $800 scope.

Don't be so worried about arming up. With the right mindset, a Marlin 795 and small box of ammo will see you through more stuff than you could imagine. No need for a $1500 AR and a dozen loaded P-mags on some tactical vest.

Buy rice and dried beans in bulk. Plant a garden. learn to preserve your bounty.

The kiddie packs, I don't see as being that important. I'm too big to wear one, so I just carry my kid around. Under my arm at my side when she was small (heard lots of comments at the edge of my hearing when doing that:rolleyes:), and on a shoulder or behind my neck now. It really isn't a problem for me at all. #2 is on the way now, and I imagine I'll have one in either arm before too long. Grandma used to use a high end backpack carrier when taker her on walks. It never got used more than a hand full of times. Now that she likes to run herself every so often, its too much work to go in and out of it. A high quality off road/jogging type 3 wheeled stroller on the other hand is worth it. It will carry the kid and plenty of other crap too. Keep an eye out for a used one, but even if you don't find one cheap, they are worth spending the money for. They are heads and shoulders above even the higher end normal strollers. We've got too many, but the other ones only get used when that one isn't convenient for some reason.

Make sure the little one is breastfed if even slightly feasible. If she works, get a pump. Formula is convenient, but breast-milk is best, and you won't need thousands of dollars of formula stashed away for just in case or risk your baby starving.

Another thing to consider;

Since you are hurting for income in your current job, ever think of moving somewhere cheaper to live? Maybe near family with land? Crappy jobs can be found anywhere, you might try to find one were living is cheaper and you'll be better off.

That is what we did around the time child #1 was born. Our cost of living dropped dramatically, to the point we are better off with only one of us working now and the added mouth to feed, compared to both full time+ at the old place. We went from a mortgage that was bleeding us dry to paid in full. The house isn't as nice and is a bit smaller, but it feels bigger and is on a much nicer lot. A garden wasn't a viable option before with the swarm of "tree rats". It is now. I can do a whole lot more hunting now too to fill the freezer. Gas is a bit more expensive here compared to the city, but I use less of it because work and stores that I frequent are a bit closer and traffic jams are a rarity.

Here is some food for thought; When the great depression hit, the country poor barely noticed a difference. The city poor and the new city poor were looking at starvation in short order.

The most important thing for you at this point is FINANCIAL shtf preparation.

If you feel you must prep.....Extra dry baby formula and diapers. A few cases of water (gallon jugs) from Costco or BJs. A couple of cases of Ramen Noodles for you and the wife.

If you have the uncontrolled urge for a firearm, then a .22lr rifle with a couple of boxes of 500 rds, with a gun lock.

The other stuff can wait.
Skip the baby formula. Have the little lady breastfeed. It is much better for the kid. your little one wont starve to death after the last can runs out. You have to try different formulas until you find one you child can keep down (3 tries for mine, and she eats anything now without issue). That stuff doesn't have a massive shelf life (the stuff we got for our first expired long before our second is due), and if you have to use it, there is no way you can afford to stockpile enough of it.

If you want to stockpile disposables, I order from Diapers.com. A much better deal than Sam's Club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.