Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Due to some unfortunate circumstances, my preg wife and I have hit some hard times. With this being our first kid, I have become somewhat concerned about what would happen to us if SHTF. It already has financially for us.

Ive just been trying the best I can to build up a little BOB and some defensive measures to help us avoid some of the potential scenes as weve seen in various parts of the country. It is pretty hard ,as just about ANY income we get goes to just eating and paying bills. Ive managed to build up an arsenal of two hand guns and approx. 1200 rounds of ammo total. Weve got a tent and try to keep our car fueled up. Like I said, the wife is about 7 mnths pregnant and I get a little more paranoid everday. My wife is oblivious to the possible scenerios and believes that unicorns will save the day, I guess. If I can scrape up some extra money, what should be my first purchase? I was at the hardware store yesterday, but became overwhelmed at all the things I may need. Thank you for your opinions.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
A good backpack to carry your "on your person" gear. When my daughter was born we quickly moved to daypacks instead of diaper bags because they were easier to carry. They don't stand out so much either, and it will free up your hands.

A good portable water filtration system would cut down on the weight. A good first aid kit with some common medications will help with the baby too.

·
Premium Member
127,718 Posts
Be sure to include baby formula/food, diapers, etc. in your plans. I've know quite a few people who forget the needs of the little ones.

·
Registered
17,759 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I was in Houston during Alicia & Galveston during some tropical storms. Later I went through a huuricane in Lafayette, LA. Probably based on Katrina, baby food & clothes for the little one is critical. Medication is also a must. Based on Louisiana experience, sign up for food stamps even if your income is too high now. In a SHTF situation you may qualify especially if you are already enrolled.

To be prepared in Texas, beg, borrow, or steal a weather radio. They work 24 & 7 and can waken you if something bad is nearby. Speaking as a native Texan, this could be anything. Commo is key, have a ham radio, CB radio, or a reliable charged up cell phone.

PM your vehicle. Make sure that it is good to go. Keep a 1/2 tank of fuel in it which is enough to get to Bryan-College Station or Huntsville.

Finally sketch up a load plans so that everything important has a place. Work this up with your wife and let it be her plan. Also get her to agree about where you can go to keep your family safe. In the long haul carefully plan the route. You may or may not want to avoid 59, 290, I45 & I10.

Take care & you are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
Honestly, a low income is probably better than a huge bankroll for prepping for the end. It gets you in the mindset for doing for yourself. That is more important than some high-end water purifier or an $800 scope.

Don't be so worried about arming up. With the right mindset, a Marlin 795 and small box of ammo will see you through more stuff than you could imagine. No need for a $1500 AR and a dozen loaded P-mags on some tactical vest.

Buy rice and dried beans in bulk. Plant a garden. learn to preserve your bounty.

The kiddie packs, I don't see as being that important. I'm too big to wear one, so I just carry my kid around. Under my arm at my side when she was small (heard lots of comments at the edge of my hearing when doing that:rolleyes:), and on a shoulder or behind my neck now. It really isn't a problem for me at all. #2 is on the way now, and I imagine I'll have one in either arm before too long. Grandma used to use a high end backpack carrier when taker her on walks. It never got used more than a hand full of times. Now that she likes to run herself every so often, its too much work to go in and out of it. A high quality off road/jogging type 3 wheeled stroller on the other hand is worth it. It will carry the kid and plenty of other crap too. Keep an eye out for a used one, but even if you don't find one cheap, they are worth spending the money for. They are heads and shoulders above even the higher end normal strollers. We've got too many, but the other ones only get used when that one isn't convenient for some reason.

Make sure the little one is breastfed if even slightly feasible. If she works, get a pump. Formula is convenient, but breast-milk is best, and you won't need thousands of dollars of formula stashed away for just in case or risk your baby starving.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You can prep with money or you can prep with brains. Most people here will tend to prep with brains (but will often use $$ as a short cut).

You can plant a garden and can veggies. The cost of the caning supplies will hurt at first, but will even out pretty quick. You can also make your own jerky. Being in a state with average temperatures just cooler than the melting point of steel will allow you to smoke and jerk foods quickly.

You can also get some 5 gal cans and fill them with rice and beans cheap. A 5 of each will feed your family with boring meals for a long time.

If you are worried about bugging out and leaving the area, the full tank in a small car is all you need. Well, that and the sense of urgency to MOVE when most folks are still dithering.

·
Registered
895 Posts
why would shtf in the good old USA? lol,. seriously though sorry for your troubles, its good to gear up incase shtf don't forget purified drinking water, its always good to have some around, i keep a several gallons on hand just incase.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Right now I'd say you need to work on some long-term food storage that you build yourself, and your bug out plan. The suggestion for two 5-gallon buckets of rice and beans is a good one. Buy them in bulk at Sam's or Costco, and you can likely save some money on your food budget while at the same time getting some food stores. You've got the internet; use it to find recipes you like for rice and beans.

Only after you've got that stuff down would I look into increasing your arsenal. One of the best ways you can do that on the cheap is to buy an SKS for $300, and then buy some surplus 7.62x39 - just be sure to clean the rifle well and proper after shooting it.

Yugoslavian 7.62x39 123grn FMJ 15rd box

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here are a couple of links to get started and on a budget. You don't have to do it all at once. However, if you just do a little here and a little there, you will end up getting a lot done over time. I'm not saying by any means that this is everything but it's a great start. Good luck.

10 Things To Do Now!

Survival Food And Gear List 10 Things You Should Do Now

How To Survive Economic Collapse

Also in all seriousness, look into couponing for things at CVS, Walgreens, Target etc. You can get toothpaste, razors, bath soap, etc for real cheap and sometimes for free or even make money. I hope this helps.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/06/extreme_coupon_prepping_by_ym.html

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/

http://www.mommyluvs2save.com/

WildForWags.com - Walgreens Coupons & Walgreens Deals - Your Site for Everything Walgreens

Under $1 | I Heart the Mart-Extreme Saving

·
Registered
608 Posts
Right now I'd say you need to work on some long-term food storage that you build yourself, and your bug out plan. The suggestion for two 5-gallon buckets of rice and beans is a good one. Buy them in bulk at Sam's or Costco, and you can likely save some money on your food budget while at the same time getting some food stores. You've got the internet; use it to find recipes you like for rice and beans.

Only after you've got that stuff down would I look into increasing your arsenal. One of the best ways you can do that on the cheap is to buy an SKS for $300, and then buy some surplus 7.62x39 - just be sure to clean the rifle well and proper after shooting it.

nice find.... i want one!

·
Registered
17,759 Posts

why...the Russian Man Cannon (the Mosin Nagant) and around 400 rounds is below or at $200 bucks....but you won't need that much..and cleaning it after shooting is paramount because the ammo is corrosive. (since we are talking budget firearms)

yes...bulk rice and beans is a dang good idea (I got numerous 3-5 gallon cake icing buckets from the krogers deli w/ lids for free!!) I also bought a food grade 55gallon band sealed drum that is full of pinto beans as well!

Biggest thing is water purification...when/if the power dies...water pressure will drop and NOT come back...getting some of those cheap bathtub storage bladders even if/when the power dies there is enough pressure to run it full of 30+ gallons (they claim up to 100 gallons that a BIG bathtub!)and/or some of those 5 gallon collapsible water jugs

·
Registered
18,141 Posts

^ I have that yugo ammo. its beast I love it!!

also, I would do an AK over an SKS. not that an SKS is "bad" really but an AK is much improved and despite what people say about modding an SKS it will never be an AK.

an AK is a bit more expensive though. just a little bit.

also a mosin is a great idea but not a good primary defense rifle. its heavy, slow, and a 5 round box. it would be very effective for defense if you could get everyone to line up for you. single file. lol

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Start out by buying a case of pork and bean and mixed veges and some bottled drinking water. That will keep you going. Is she going to breast feed? Any decent firearm with a box or two of ammo will be enough for starters.

The rest of the stuff you probably already have or can get. An unexpensive SHTF boogie bag on the cheap be be easily assembled if you have a few hours to do soss. It's fun doing things for less. This stuff is mostly mental HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
From a food perspective, do not buy what you do not eat.
Whenever possible, pick up an extra package of anything that you eat, and that will not quickly perish.

Over time, you can build a nice stockpile of food by this simple method.

And yes,
Start buying things for the baby, now.

Also,
Do not be embarrassed to seek help ... Check with your local church.

Most of them have very good contacts toward helping others out, and realize that helping you, might allow you to help others.

Also,
I just posted some stuff toward the end of this thread, that might give you a few ideas - Knowledge Database

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
not for nothin', cloth diapers and a tube of butt oinkment for babies might be a good thing.

if SHTF it could make a huge difference in a crying baby and a not crying one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm not much of a SHTF guy, but I do know two things.

1) An infant or toddler are huge, so plan around it. Think about the things you need every day and also the things you need every other month.

2) It doesn't take alot of money or genius to afford the simple cheap stuff you can trade. Bic lighters, generic coffee, handles of cheap vodka, bottles of ibuprofan and aspirin, neosporin, the list goes on.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If I may, are you either person in the picture under your name?

Also, with a child, and living in Texas, I assume Houston. Bugging in will be better than bugging out.

How much water do you keep at home? If you don't have much, every time you buy a gallon of milk, 2 litre bottle of soda etc, wash them out and fill them up with water. Empty and refill every couple of months. Given that there are three of you and one is a baby, don't stop until you hit 30 gallons. Your wife needs water to clean and feed your child.

Next time you are the grocery store, costo etc, go to the canned food isle, if tuna fish or corned beef hash is on sale, buy it. Corned beef has has huge amounts of good quality protein and fats, very high calories. If times get really desperate, you at least have a food store. Try and save 1-2 months of food. These cans of food won't go down in value.

Buy candles. Slow burning long lasting candles. Worst comes to worst, you can use them for romantic nights so you can give your child a brother or sister. Get a couple of bic lighters and matches.

Outside of guns and ammo, you don't mention much of what you do have. Do you have a decent knife, do you have a few tools, do you have a tarp, do you have ponchos or other rain gear, etc?

Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, it's important to take a deep breath. I'm sure that with your wife being pregnant, you're feeling vulnerable and woefully under-prepared.
But remember- so are most people.
This is a complex problem with a complex solution. But within that solution are a number of smaller projects that are easier to wrap one's head around.
If you view the problem from 30,000ft, it'll just seem too big.
With each small step you take, your odds of riding something out safely and comfortably improve a great deal.

I've broken down my preparations into three dovetailing segments:

-5-7 day bug in/out (Doin' pretty good, here)
-30 day bug in (It's slow going, but getting there)
-long term prep (I haven't even touched this one yet, but the wife and I are discussing this one and how we plan to achieve it.....and it likely involves mini-goats and other new friends LOL)

Of course, 99.9% of what out-of-the-ordinary events that might disrupt our lives is covered by the first category. Additionally, it is the easiest of the three to tackle, so it is the first to address IMHO.

What items, no matter what happens, do humans need to survive?
-Water
-Food
-Shelter (you mentioned a tent, so I'm assuming we can set this one aside)

Let's face it, man. Without water, you're F***ed. This is the absolute first problem you need to address.
For my short-term plans, I've assumed zero water availability, so I'm storing 7 days of clean drinking water everyone in the household (it's more, now, but that was my first goal. I have also included purification in the BOB, as worse-case-scenario is of course on foot.....and we aren't planning to carry a weeks worth of water in our packs ;))

-First things first. I'd hit Wally's and buy a few cases of water to get started. Get 3-5 day's worth into the house.
-Then a small store of shelf-stable food items (which preferably require no cooking to prepare) to match. Make this a reserve, not to be used in daily meals.
Once you've got some sustenance tucked aside, maybe a couple used ALICE packs to get the BOBs started? They ain't the sexiest bags, but they're inexpensive and bombproof. Hunt ebay. You can get set up for cheap.

Baby steps, my friend. Do it in tiny bites so it won't hurt, and you'll be amazed how, with a little patience, you'll quickly be in decent shape and feeling more secure.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts