Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
so this question has been weighing heavily on me. I'm asked this question a lot since I'm the resident gun nut in my division but I never seem fully prepared to answer. I have a WASR10 and 2 ar15s(one in 5.56 and one in 9MM). I hear the argument that the AK is so much simpler than the AR but I found that it was easier to become an "expert" with my ARs than it was with my AK. so here is my question.

If the Hit ever Fits the Shan and you had either an AR15 or an AK47/74 to choose from, which would you pack and why did you pick it over the other?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i don't own either but i've read up on some and listen to others with some experience. my understanding is that the AR is more accurate but the AK is more reliable in adverse conditions.

i watched a deadliest warrior episode where an AK went up against an AR 15. the AR out shot the AK but when they slapped mud on the receiver and poured water down the barrel the AK performed flawlessly but the AR jammed up after a few shots.

again, just speaking from what i've heard others say. i say if you have both double wield!

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
hello all,
so this question has been weighing heavily on me. I'm asked this question a lot since I'm the resident gun nut in my division but I never seem fully prepared to answer. I have a WASR10 and 2 ar15s(one in 5.56 and one in 9MM). I hear the argument that the AK is so much simpler than the AR but I found that it was easier to become an "expert" with my ARs than it was with my AK. so here is my question.

If the Hit ever Fits the Shan and you had either an AR15 or an AK47/74 to choose from, which would you pack and why did you pick it over the other?
I think you know my opinion on this from the other thread. :oops:

·
Registered
464 Posts
AK..it will fire regardless..and a 7.62 is a little more devastating..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
837 Posts
Since you own both which do you feel more comfortable with? Which do you shoot better? Do any of your friends or family own either? Sharing ammo and mags with them can't be undervalued.

Personally, I was an AR guy who converted to the AK not too long ago. The weight is increased meaning I can't take as many mags, but I love the durability of it. You pull the trigger it goes bang almost every time. They are fairly accurate as well when you get good with them.

There are a lot of advantages with the AR. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either. When a debate has gone round and round for as long as this one has there is no clear winner...only personal choice. Your family should be in good hands either way.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Since you own both which do you feel more comfortable with? Which do you shoot better? Do any of your friends or family own either? Sharing ammo and mags with them can't be undervalued.

Personally, I was an AR guy who converted to the AK not too long ago. The weight is increased meaning I can't take as many mags, but I love the durability of it. You pull the trigger it goes bang almost every time. They are fairly accurate as well when you get good with them.

There are a lot of advantages with the AR. I'm not sure you can go wrong with either. When a debate has gone round and round for as long as this one has there is no clear winner...only personal choice. Your family should be in good hands either way.
:cool:

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I shot both in Vietnam. The AK is a rugged & capable weapon. The AR is more accurate and with the newer models has more range. If the SHTF, I'd stick with the AR simply due to logistics. Parts & ammo will be more available than the AK in the US. The AK is a solid weapon but if you run out of ammo or need it repaired, you are out of luck.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I can consider one scenario of SHTF to be a foriegn invation. And would want the caliber that would seem to be the easiest to get your hands on. This case would be the AR 5.56 NATO. One the other hand when you kill the invading enemy they are gonna be packing the AK 7.62x39 variety

So I would say, 1 each, or split decision. :twisted:

·
Registered
133 Posts
in a long duration shtf or a teotwawki, you have to consider other things besides self defense...

if you are actually on the move and the world become more feral, your self defense may include things like black bears, large cats, wolves (if they move south), gators/crocs, and brown bears depending on location...

in addition, you want a rifle that can be a good hunting weapon, like dear, hog, etc.

to the opening poster, i would prefer the ak. however, i would consider something in 6.8 or .308 instead.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
one of my friends said if SHTF and I want or need an AR I'll be able to pick one up off the ground and unjam it later. lol

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I prefer the AR-15 for ergonomics, ease of use, and the extent of knowledge I already have regarding the weapons platform. YMMV.

They are both spectacular firearms and the performance of a well built AR and AK are exceptionally comparable.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I shot both in Vietnam. The AK is a rugged & capable weapon. The AR is more accurate and with the newer models has more range. If the SHTF, I'd stick with the AR simply due to logistics. Parts & ammo will be more available than the AK in the US. The AK is a solid weapon but if you run out of ammo or need it repaired, you are out of luck.

This.

Between what was mentioned above & my familiarity of the AR platform, it's a no brainer for me. I want something in my hand that I know I manipulate well & put shots on target accurately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I only have an AR currently. I plan to get an AK EVENTUALLY, but that is way down the road. I do appreciate the AK, but I originally bought the AR because I wanted it to be accurate, and well the AR wins in that department.

I figured as long as my BOB has a small bag for a cleaning rod and some CLP, my AR will probably outlast me in a SHTF scenario. I don't see myself getting mud and sand inside my AR in the midwest.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My first SHTF rifles were AKs. The are robust and reliable but not very ergonomic. They are in fact pretty crudely made. I eventually replaced them with ARs. I still have a couple AKs but my go to guns are ARs.

If you already have ARs you are ahead of the game and should concentrate on them. They are a much more versatile platform.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Which one's closer? Which one's loaded? A combination of those two factors would probably make my decision for me in a SHTF scenario.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts