Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about every gun owner has a rimfire rifle. It may be in 22LR, 17HMR, 22Mag, or whatever and most have more than one. However, I've never seen a thread on here about showing off your rimfire rifles, so I decided to start one.

I'll start off with mine. Not the best pictures, but it's what I have.

Here's my Ruger 10/22. It had a Tactical Solutions lightweight barrel, a Magpul X-22 Stock and a 3-12x40 Bushnell Rimfire scope.

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

Next is my Henry 22 Mag. It has a 3-9x 40 Tasco World Class scope on it.

Finally, I have my Marlin 81DL. Nothing fancy, but a decent rifle.

Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Trigger
Gun Shotgun Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

Now let's see what you you have.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I like the 10-22, i about bought a take down light the other day. And think i still might at some point.

Ended up going with a cz 455 17hmr on the bottom instead. Waiting for a nikon efr 3-9 to get here from midway for it. Then a winchester 121 with a bushnell 4-12, think i need to find some medium rings though. It was my dad's 1st gun.Then a marlin 39a carbine, which was my gpa's gun. On a side note gpa built the gun cabinet for me many moons ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
2 of my favorite with my daughter shooting them at TNT gun range in Utah. The rifle is a Tac sol Xring receiver/ bolt group, Tac sol barrel, Volquartsen trigger, Tac sol stock, aimpoint T1 optic. Best thing, this gun weighs nothing, everyone that has ever shot is is amazed at how light it is. The pistol is a Volquartsen frame and parts, tac sol barrel, Ruger bolt assy/ takedown lever. Again, nice and light but still all metal. Great guns to get the daughter comfortable with shooting.

Oddly, while we were there, some guy rented a 50BMG to shoot at the 25 yard range.... Why not the 100? But its what he wanted, had to pull my daughter into the corner, prep her for what was about to come, and blanketed her with my body to lower the muzzle blast. Still was loud and shook her up a bit.

I however love 22lr, its fun to shoot, a great way to spend time at the range, and still cheap. I bet I have 20 different 22lrs, most are Rugers, but have a Marlin model 70, Henry octagon, SP101 (old not new), Smith 617, Walther P22, GSG MP5, 1911 conversion, AR conversions, AR dedicated, and a few I know I am forgetting right now.

Here is an old photo of the Rugers in my collection... I just really like 22lrs.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I still only have a same stainless 10/22 Sport I bought back in 2001. My first purchase...Need to get some glamor shots of it. And actually take it out and shoot it some.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
This reminds me that I need to buy a .22 rifle. Oddly enough, I have survived my entire adult life without owning a rimfire rifle. I did have a weird 22/410 over/under rifle when I was a kid but I have no idea where it went; probably traded it for a bicycle or something... My only rimfire is a dedicated XD .22 conversion but it gets a lot of use. The sheer amount of cheap trigger time makes it one of my favorite guns. I can shoot 300-500 rounds (CCI Minimag, of course) in a range session and not break the bank.

I do think it's time for the obligatory 10/22 purchase.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Great thread! I got my first break-action New England Firearms from my dad when he passed. I really didn't know what it was, but enjoyed getting to know it and the .17HMR round. Started looking around for additional barrels but got into it too late and H&R had already shut down their barrel and fitting production so had to go find some on Armslist and fit them myself (yikes).
Wood Air gun

So now I have .17HMR, .22LR, and .22 Win Mag for my Sportster. It's such a cool rifle and fun to shoot. Keep looking around for some good wood for it but I also like the shape of the synthetic stock.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Here's my Sportster alongside my Savage 93R17... Wish I had more opportunities to shoot with these things, I envy the guys in England with suppressors on their Annie's who go out and shoot rabbits.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I have several that are not shown, but here are my 3 favorite rifles.

The top two are Savage MK2's and the bottom is a Ruger 10/22.

The water immersion camo on all 3 were done by yours truly.

Strata camo, Realtree, and Natural Gear.

Waldo (the FVSR) is playing hide and seek in this one. Can you spot it? I promise it is in the photo.

closeup of the strata pattern

Reactions: TSiWRX and gsh341

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
OK, I dug up a couple of pics. :) I don't have many rimfires - heck, I don't even have all that many firearms...and as I rarely do anything social with mine, well, I just don't have many pictures of them, sadly. I will take a few shots when I'm next out. :oops:

Here's my 10/22. I bought it off of a local shooter and fellow OFCC (Ohioans for Concealed Carry) member, whose family, AFAIK, is still active in rimfire competitions. It came with the Green Mountain barrel and the Boyd's stock already installed, but he pulled the trigger pack and replaced it with the OE. I've been meaning to get a KIDD for it, just have never got around to it.

The scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32. Nothing special, but definitely good enough for my plinking. I will most likely take it off and put some Tech Sights on it to do the Appleseed thing either this year or the next, with my daughter. :)

And speaking of the little one, while I don't like to put pictures of her up online, I feel compelled to honor spoolup's share in this thread, so here she is, with her 15-22:

Gun Shooting range Sport venue Firearm Shooting sport

This picture was from this past August. She's now almost 12.

She's had it now for close to a year and a half. I put a Volquartsen extractor in it this past year, which helped this gun incredibly in terms of extraction. She shot about 600 rounds through the gun that day, encountering only one spontaneous misfeed - prior to the extractor change, we'd barely get through 30 rounds without a problem, which while being unusual for the S&W M&P 15-22s, was just our luck that we got a more stubborn one. :lol: She uses a SOB-Tactical B-Sling with it, along with a Primary Arms MD-ADS red-dot sight on top (sitting on a Radical/PA lower 1/3 mount). Weight was a huge consideration when I shopped for her, and this variant of the 15-22 is not insignificantly lighter than the quad-rail variant. And while a few ounces could have been shaved by removing the BUIS, it's something that still holds training value for her, even today. Stock is MOE (we're now on the third stop for her...she's all ungainly arms and legs at the moment :p), with the only other non-factory part on this gun being a Tacticool-22 charging handle (which really helped her with manipulations).

That's a legacy RCS Sonny Rig on her waist. With a legacy RCS Phantom on the strong side, she has just enough girth that she maxed out the adjustment on the belt (Volund Gearworks ATLAS Slim) - it's size small...and yeah, I'd debated on getting her the extra-small. I had to tuck the loose free-end under the holster. :D Very last hole, but hey, it worked, and she'll only grow into it from here! ;) I looped an OC Tactical CAT-Trap on the trailing edge of the Sonny Rig, with a Lunar Concepts SWIFTQ insert as the pull. I try to make every one of our range trips fun, and every time we step off the range, I high-five her and say what a great job she did minding safety, that we didn't have to use our TQs that day! :)

Gloves are SKD Tac PIG Charlies, and the things on her arms are just some generic compression sleeves. She's still very allergic to the spent case burn she got as a just-starting 8-year-old a few years back, and despite my reassurances otherwise, this makes her feel better, so hey, pick your battles, right, parents? :lol: Besides, it was, like, only $10 off Amazon...by far the cheapest part of her range-day getup.

Patch below the flag on her earpro reads:

The only other rimfires I/we have are her Browning Buckmark Plus UDX (which she picked out, herself), my second-hand (from yet another fellow OFCC member) Ruger .22/45, her CZ452 Scout, and my KelTec PMR30. All of those are factory-stock or near so (I slapped a FO front on the 22/45).

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Henry Frontier .22lr:

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Nope. It's in the green tree on the right side, hanging by the sling.

even better closeup:

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I really like that strata pattern. It blends in a lot better than I thought it ever would.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I should have more rimfire rifles as they fun and inexpensive to shoot. I've had a 10/22 for many years and got a Henry several years ago.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I'm in the process of turning my oldest rimfire into an integrally suppressed rifle. I'm only waiting on the permission slip to come back from the feds, but plan on shortening the 1968 Lakefield down to 12.5", threading and recrowning, making a monocore baffle, pin/welding it to bring the OAL to just over 17" so I don't have to double stamp it, porting the barrel, and camo dipping the suppressor tube to match.

Of all the integral designs out there, it will be most similar to the Gemtech Mist 22, but obviously with a lot of tweaks of my own. Not only is the barrel going to be ported some to make use of the 17.5" suppressor tube, I plan to make the expansion baffle port over the barrel like a reflex moderator. Any bit of pressure that I can keep in there longer should help make it be more quiet.

Been waiting for months now. I'm ready for them to send my stamp back so I can get this show on the road.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm in the process of turning my oldest rimfire into an integrally suppressed rifle. I'm only waiting on the permission slip to come back from the feds, but plan on shortening the 1968 Lakefield down to 12.5", threading and recrowning, making a monocore baffle, pin/welding it to bring the OAL to just over 17" so I don't have to double stamp it, porting the barrel, and camo dipping the suppressor tube to match.

Of all the integral designs out there, it will be most similar to the Gemtech Mist 22, but obviously with a lot of tweaks of my own. Not only is the barrel going to be ported some to make use of the 17.5" suppressor tube, I plan to make the expansion baffle port over the barrel like a reflex moderator. Any bit of pressure that I can keep in there longer should help make it be more quiet.

Been waiting for months now. I'm ready for them to send my stamp back so I can get this show on the road.
Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to the results.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts