Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody use one? any suggestion? im a big dude, and have concerns some of the ones i've seen might not adjust large enough for me. btw, reason i'm leaning towards an shoulder rig, instead of belt holster, is because of all the time i spend at my desk job, and driving.

this is the one i'm leaning towards.

blackhawk angle draw

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I advise against shoulder rigs as I have been told they are very uncomfortable. Additionaly, unless you have experience/training using one already I would not get one. No academy I have ever visited/attended teaches shoulder holster (or crosssdraw) use for safety reasons. Get an IWB or a concealable belt holster instead. Also stay away from small of the back holsters as signifcant injury can result if you fall on your gun. The injury is to you, not sure what a big guy falling on a gun might do to the gun, but I am sure it is not on a list of approved gun use activities.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
went ahead and ordered a fist iwb/owb holster.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have worn many models both for tactical backup and undercover and being a big guy, the most comfortable for me has been the Galco Miami/Jackass rigs. I just ordered a new holster component for my XD SC and will get a vertical component for my 5" once I order it next week. The ballistic Nylons are ok for short periods, but after a few hours, the edges of the nylon start to irritate me. The leather I can wear all day long.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Verm said:
I have worn many models both for tactical backup and undercover and being a big guy, the most comfortable for me has been the Galco Miami/Jackass rigs. I just ordered a new holster component for my XD SC and will get a vertical component for my 5" once I order it next week. The ballistic Nylons are ok for short periods, but after a few hours, the edges of the nylon start to irritate me. The leather I can wear all day long.
i emailed galco about the jackass harness, they actually sent me back a pretty rude and confusing email. o well, already ordered a iwb/owb fist belt holster.

Subj: RE: Contact Form - Products
Date: 12/27/2004 12:59:43 PM Eastern Standard Time
To: <[email protected]>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Mr. Arriaga,

The shoulder system in the link is not our product. We never made a holster for the P7K3, only the P7M8 and M13. All of our P7 holsters were discontinued some years ago.

AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature" Best regards,

Mike Barham

Galco International

800-874-2526

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You made the right choice in holsters I think. I do not own a IWB holster yet, but have heard very good things on this board about the FIST holsters.

One point I didn't see made about the shoulder holsters, is that when unholstering, watch how the barrel of the gun tracks... It covers a lot of ground before you get on target. Drawing cross body to point it in front of you that is... vs. lifting the pistol up from the holster and on target. A waistband holster seems to make more sense to me from that standpoint, as well as the other points made by manygunner.

Raymond

1 - 8 of 8 Posts