Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With winter coming, and colder temps the layers of cloths will be getting thicker. Just curious as to what some thoughts are on shoulder holster rigs...Seems like a practical idea, my thinking is that if all I have to do is loosen a jacket to get to my weapon rather than dig thru 3 layers of cloths and a jacket...good idea...

Anyone?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I promise this isn't a bump.

I too am interested in this idea and was pondering it myself.

Just in case it comes back that you're crazy for thinking this, you aren't alone. :D

Also, do they make them for the SC models of the XD?

·
Registered
29,742 Posts
If you're going to run one, practice drawing a LOT...it's very easy to fan everyone on your left with the pistol...or your own arm...etc.

I recommned learning how to draw from under layers of clothing...

Personally, I find that when I'm walking with one, they can get rather uncomfortable. I pretty much only wear one if I'm going to be on a long distance drive.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I always wear OWB under an untucked shirt, so drawing from under a coat isn't a problem. Just sweep it back, lift the shirt, and pull. I've tried shoulder holsters and it's HARD to find a comfortable one. Hard to find one specific to your gun, too. Usually all you can get is a generic soft nylon with a cheesy snap strap.

As mentioned, PRACTICE. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you got the thing aimed or you might shoot yourself in the chest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the shoulder holster option may not be the best route to take. Have not purchased one, I was just sitting here and got to thinking about it...with all the layers of cloths that come out in the cold weather it seemed to me that it would make more sense to carry under the shoulder rather than struggle with getting to my weapon under cloths and coat. However, I did NOT think about drawing it and the "fanning" that was mentioned. Obviously keeping your finger off the trigger is rule #1 but under great stress, adrinaline flowing and all that on second thought it may be best to stick with IWB and lots of practice getting to it in my normal winter wear.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks again for the responses and to the OP for the info.

I like the idea of OWB because I always am at least wearing a jacket that will cover it and rarely take it off and that would eliminate the "digging" through layers to reach it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I carry in a Galco Miami Classic and I love it. You have to understand when you're out in public in a defensive situation not all gun safety rules apply. Yes, you try to follow them as much a possible but sadly they can't be followed 100%. I personally don't worry about "fanning" because I've trained to keep my finger off the trigger until the gun is pointed at my target. Of course this is all up to you. If you're that worried about "fanning" then don't carry in a shoulder rig but I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I tried one of the $30 nylon rigs, and found that they.... blow, seriously. Uncomfortable, sticks out in the wrong places, slides around, just not happy times. I decided to try out a shoulder rig that a friend recommended, boy what a difference a quality product makes. I've got a Galco Miami Classic also, it is much better than an El cheapo brand rig. I got mine with a vertical holster and dual speedloader pouch for my SP101. It did tend to want to hang a little differently than I wanted it to at first. But, if you take the time to fiddle with adjustments till it feels good to you, it might be some thing you can wear comfortably, and confidently.
I like to wear mine on the motorcycle, under my jacket, and when the weather is a little cooler, so you can wear a cover garment (something we haven't had much of around here this summer!).
As for "fanning" the crowd when drawing Massad Ayoob gives some good technique pointers in his book, Concealed Carry by Gun Digest. He also mentions one good point about shoulder holster carry that I never thought about till I read this book. You can draw from the weak hand if necessary. Some belt holsters are not apt to give you the same ability.
Good luck in your search, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I carry in a Galco Miami Classic and I love it. You have to understand when you're out in public in a defensive situation not all gun safety rules apply. Yes, you try to follow them as much a possible but sadly they can't be followed 100%. I personally don't worry about "fanning" because I've trained to keep my finger off the trigger until the gun is pointed at my target. Of course this is all up to you. If you're that worried about "fanning" then don't carry in a shoulder rig but I don't worry about it.
I tried one of the $30 nylon rigs, and found that they.... blow, seriously. Uncomfortable, sticks out in the wrong places, slides around, just not happy times. I decided to try out a shoulder rig that a friend recommended, boy what a difference a quality product makes. I've got a Galco Miami Classic also, it is much better than an El cheapo brand rig. I got mine with a vertical holster and dual speedloader pouch for my SP101. It did tend to want to hang a little differently than I wanted it to at first. But, if you take the time to fiddle with adjustments till it feels good to you, it might be some thing you can wear comfortably, and confidently.
I like to wear mine on the motorcycle, under my jacket, and when the weather is a little cooler, so you can wear a cover garment (something we haven't had much of around here this summer!).
As for "fanning" the crowd when drawing Massad Ayoob gives some good technique pointers in his book, Concealed Carry by Gun Digest. He also mentions one good point about shoulder holster carry that I never thought about till I read this book. You can draw from the weak hand if necessary. Some belt holsters are not apt to give you the same ability.
Good luck in your search, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Thanks for the additional info!! Will look at these holsters..

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a miami classic and love it, I also have a classic lite and it does not work near as well but I use that at the farm and dont worry about it getting all nasty.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I bought the Galco Miami II and it's a very nice rig....You need to find someone whom owns said holster and try it first.....You need to buy the tie downs for these rigs so they dont flop.....Anybody that says it's only for LEO watches to much TV....lol It's a good option in limited situations so cost to use may not suit your needs but dont back out because a bunch of armchair bandits say so.......

·
Registered
670 Posts
I bought the Galco Miami II and it's a very nice rig....You need to find someone whom owns said holster and try it first.....You need to buy the tie downs for these rigs so they dont flop.....Anybody that says it's only for LEO watches to much TV....lol It's a good option in limited situations so cost to use may not suit your needs but dont back out because a bunch of armchair bandits say so.......
I have no problems not using the tie downs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't use the tie down I bought either. The guy at Galco said I probably wouldn't need it, but I bought it anyhow. Turns out he was right, it wasn't as comfortable as without them. Oh well, they weren't that expensive, and you never know till you try it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts