Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I like the Galco line. The nylon (uncle mikes clones) can have a harsh effect on pistol finish.
Really??? The wear I have seen on pistol blueing or nickel plating has been from the hard leather holsters. Shows up particularly on the end of the barrel and the front part of the cylinder for revolvers and scratches on the slide of the autos. The nylon holsters are like storing them in a padded pouch.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Really??? The wear I have seen on pistol blueing or nickel plating has been from the hard leather holsters. Shows up particularly on the end of the barrel and the front part of the cylinder for revolvers and scratches on the slide of the autos. The nylon holsters are like storing them in a padded pouch.
Actually you will get a lot of wear from nylon holster because the fabric tends to retain dirt in the threads which works like sand paper on the gun surfaces. Ballistic Nylon itself is very abrasive let alone after having collected dirt from sliding a dirty gun in the holster. Both leather and kydex retain less dirt and can be wiped clean where the nylon holster can not.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have seen most holsters out there. I have never seen a nylon holster worth owning. Get leather or Kydex. Any material will wear a finish. Lined holsters will lessen this effect.

ranburr

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have seen most holsters out there. I have never seen a nylon holster worth owning. Get leather or Kydex. Any material will wear a finish. Lined holsters will lessen this effect.

ranburr
Dunno why there is no nylon holster "worth owning". They are light, comfortable, easily concealable/accessible and retain the weapon securely and safely. What else is there? Oh, they are less expensive and far less prestigious. Leather is certainly much prettier than that ugly low class nylon. To each his own I guess. :grin:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone ill probably look into the safariland line ive heard several others mention that they r comfortable and durable thanks for all the repies i think ill go with leather over nylon just personal preference but it makes sense that leather would b easier on the finish

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Nylon holsters don't hold up over time, they collapse the minute you remove the pistol, they require two handed holstering, they soak up moisture and transfer it to your gun, they can cause mishaps that reslt in your pistol falling on the ground, etc. I'll say it again, leather or Kydex. It is a quality thing not a money thing.

ranburr

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nylon holsters don't hold up over time, they collapse the minute you remove the pistol, they require two handed holstering, they soak up moisture and transfer it to your gun, they can cause mishaps that reslt in your pistol falling on the ground, etc. I'll say it again, leather or Kydex. It is a quality thing not a money thing.

ranburr
All you say is also true of leather, depending on the design. Try holstering the Miami shoulder rig with one hand. I owned one of those. It's stiff as hell and requires both hands to resnap the thing over the weapon. If the bottom snap pops open the weapon falls to the ground. Never had a nylon holster do that. Even if you lose your grip after opening the safety snap the weapon doesn't just fall out of the holster. I suppose there are some nylons out there that will do that but that is not a fault of nylon. That is a specific design flaw and one that the smart buyer should be aware of regardless of the material it's made of. I will concede that nylon retains moisture more than leather, however I have been in some pretty heavy downpours and my holster never got so wet as to be a detriment to my pistol. If you're gonna roll around in the mud, wear it in the shower or just drop it in the toilet I suppose nylon would be a problem. Hey, to each his own afterall. I own two leather holsters that I really like too. Enjoy your leather/Kydex holster. :grin: :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the site, so I hope I'm somewhat in the right area asking bout holster set-ups. I'm a LEO w/ a Matix III vest. I have my secondary (glock 27) and would like to carry that on the vest/chest instead of ankle. I researched some & found a Deep Shoulder Concealment Holster & holster pouch. The DSCH looks similar to a belly band, but w/ shoulder straps. It's around $35 & would seem to wrap nicely around the vest. Has anyone seen this type, or has advice regarding my situation? Thnx.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are several should rigs on Ebay. Look under xd tactical or xd 5" and you should see them. One of them is only $15 or so. The xdm will fit in it just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts