Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9X40 for my AR 15 223. Should I put loctite on the threads? Might not be needed now but after a few rounds and a few weeks later I might wish I had. If so what loctite do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I use blue to mount the Weaver rail to the gun because I can't tell if it gets loose. I can look and see if the rings are loose so it is not as critical. I do use a torque wrench on the rings.

·
Registered
786 Posts
i put a drop of fingernail polish on thr joints that way if any thing gets loose you can see the crack in the polish also you can use purple locktite its made for electronics and a is mild hold

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Yes, put loctite on the scope threads. I did my .270 Deer Rifle over 8 years ago and haven't had to re-zero it since.:D
What threads are there on your scope? The only threads on any of my scopes are on the eye piece for focusing and on the caps that go over the adjusting dials. I would not put any loctite on those threads.

don

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
as someone that wasted 3 bzos because it came loose nothing like hearing your scope rattle when your out hog hunting.... you feel silly..... if its not a qd lever it gets loctited now.... never had a scope that wasn't a qd attachment before a month ago.... I felt silly. loctite. attach ring to rifle, then attach top of rings/scope to rings. won't put torque on the scope that way.

·
Registered
17,815 Posts
Yes...blue loctite, vibrations will cause the screws to loosen...if you have a loose scope mount bullets don't go where you put the rifle.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What threads are there on your scope? The only threads on any of my scopes are on the eye piece for focusing and on the caps that go over the adjusting dials. I would not put any loctite on those threads.

don
(TWO 1/2" nuts) I want to be sure the Burris rings that are mounted to the top rail do NOT come loose.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Proper torque is all I've ever used for anything I want to take apart and I've never had bases or rings work loose. If it needs something to give a little more assurance I use nail polish or the purple loctite.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts

don
As another poster above said. The threads are only on the scope mounting bases and rings, Not on the scope itself. Don't put any loctite on scope caps or adjustments screws.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Proper torque is all I've ever used for anything I want to take apart and I've never had bases or rings work loose. If it needs something to give a little more assurance I use nail polish or the purple loctite.
I have been doing mechanical work since the early 70s. With PROPER torque you don't need Loctite. That said I still use it on the scope rail but not on the rest of the mount. When I properly torque the mounts I can take a scope off and put it back on and be vary close to zero.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been doing mechanical work since the early 70s. With PROPER torque you don't need Loctite. That said I still use it on the scope rail but not on the rest of the mount. When I properly torque the mounts I can take a scope off and put it back on and be vary close to zero.
Your saying on the RAIL itself and not on the threads that tighten the rings to the rail. Just thought I would ask this because I might want to remove the scope and reattach the rear flip-up sight.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Your saying on the RAIL itself and not on the threads that tighten the rings to the rail. Just thought I would ask this because I might want to remove the scope and reattach the rear flip-up sight.
On the screws that attach the rail to the gun. They are usually small diameter and short.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I use only torx screws for scope rings. Per Leupold, I don't use Loctite..just a smidgen of oil on the threads and torque properly. Mine never come loose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.