Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stripping down my slide for refinishing. I've gotten everything out except for the extractor. I've followed the instructions online for removing the extractor, but it's not budging. Penetrating oil isn't helping, and I've broken the tips off of 2 L-shaped picks in the process... I'm afraid of getting frustrated, doing something stupid and busting it.

I'm going to refinish the slide with Brownell's Gun Kote. For those that don't know, I have to bake the part in the oven at about 300 degrees for 1 hour. If I leave the extractor in, will the heat affect it in any way?

I know that it's important to remove all springs, which I did, but taking the extractor out is not that important to me if it'll be OK.

Any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone..?

Well, I got the factory sights out without scratching/dinging anything up. I clamped the slide in a vise padded with lots of little wood blocks. I wailed on the sights with a punch and heavy hammer. They were stubborn, but they both came out. I just hope that the Truglo TFO sights go in easier.... They should arive via UPS in a day or two.

I just sandblasted the slide. Awaiting the verdict on the extractor before I spray it and bake it...

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I have seen extractors that were refinished with a "kote" product so that would lead me to think that others have not had trouble. I dont belive that 300 is enough to change the temper....Hmmm Don know alot about metal.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I don't think 300 degrees will affect the extractor, it was forged much hotter than that. My concern would be the spring that is helping the extractor work. Wouldn't the coating get on the spring mechanism and foul it up?

aJamesp51
Hmmm Don't know alot about metal.
hmmmm.....
:mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts