Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Ruger came out with their new 1911 this year, I wanted a 1911 for the first time. Now it seems they're impossible to find -- there are a few out there but their prices are jacked up due to demand.

So I have a few questions for experienced 1911'ers:

1) Has anyone bought one lately, and how long did you have to wait?

2) Best places in Tucson/Phoenix to get one (anybody have them in stock?)

3) I've heard the Ruger 1911 compared with the SA Mil-Spec, Range Officer, and Loaded. I like all three (have only handled a Loaded) but prefer the stainless Mil-Spec and Loaded.

Does anyone have both the Ruger and one of these, and how do they compare? Should I wait for the Ruger (I really like the look of this gun) or go with an SA 1911? (From what people are saying this probably won't be my only 1911...)

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Been trying to buy one, but not willing to pay the prices they are demanding right now. All reviews I've read, including those on the Ruger Forums, are very favorable..

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I waited for 3 months and gave up. Bought a STI Spartan .45 and couldn't be happier. If the prices come back down to earth and availability gets better I will still probably get one. Most of the reviews on several forums are positive; so, if you're not in a hurry, just wait.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I own two Colts, a Springer and a Kimber and I am waiting for an SR1911. Even in this big city with tons of gun stores, they're sold out and the dealers said they went fast and nobody came back and complained about the guns. That ought to tell you something.

From what I saw, while handling one and what I have heard from those that own and shoot them....wait.

My dealer has them for 599 bucks....a steal for an all American made stainless 1911 from a major gun maker. Ruger's customer service is also first rate and I have had personal dealings with them and was impressed.

Wait....I think it will be worth it.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
189 Posts
Be patience and wait; it's all worth your wait - The element of luck was on my side along with the long wait. Here she is...

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Be patience and wait; it's all worth your wait - The element of luck was on my side along with the long wait. Here she is...

Damnit I want one! Although I just bought a ria 1911 and should be here tuesday, I vow to one day have a ruger 1911!

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I did not need to wait very long - decided in April, started calling shops all over the Valley area, kept calling those that said they might get stock. At one of my repeat batch of calls on 3 May, 2 days after release, found one shop that had just received one. 20 minutes latter I owned it. Nothing but good to say about it since then.

So my advise is yes, wait, it will be worth it. But don't let a shop gouge you for price.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, but I was jonesin' for a SA Loaded. Wait for the one you want. When you finally find one, it'll be that much sweeter. Was for me. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys!
I guess I'll wait a while and see when they become more available.
Been lurking on the Ruger forum(s) and I haven't heard anything bad about them yet. My other choices are about $200 more expensive so I'll be patient.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I could buy one right now from Bass Pro or Gander for around 700 bucks, but a favored small local shop sells them for 599 and they are waiting for some from Ruger. They said the first 5 they got, went screaming out the door in the first week they got them (!!).

So yeah....I already have four 1911s...I'll just wait.

From the looks of things, the Ruger 1911 might replace the Sprigfield GI/Mil-Spec as the best base gun to build a custom 1911 blaster.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am waiting for Mr Squirrel to get his in as well for just under that price at $589. Heck I would think it a great del at $639, if it was in stock. I will wait. Just hope to get one with a verifiable record of 2011 production.

Come on Ruger, change the CNC machines over already

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I want one but not a 5 inch model. 3 or 4 and I'm all over it.

Sent from my EVO using Forum Runner

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Im on several waiting lists for this gun. I shot one Sat for the first time and fell in love. So much that I am selling my SA mil spec ss A1 1911 to buy the Ruger. GT distributors has them for $609 but said could be a 6 month wait :0

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Call your LGS and have them order it for you.

You'd be surprised how quickly things can move when money is the objective.

I once asked for a EAA Witness Match in 10mm, and was told give them weeks ... They called me 2 days later, and said your gun is waiting for you.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got one on the way -- should be here tomorrow. Really looking forward to my first 1911!

AZXD, I think the difference is the EAA witness match has been around for a while and I think the supply/demand ratio is not bad (but 10mm might be scarcer). However, everyone seems to want this gun right now. I called gun shops in Prescott, they didn't know when they could get me one. Kinda funny I ended up buying a gun that is made up the road in Prescott, from a store in Vermont.

BTW, do you still have the EAA 10mm? I've heard good things about them and would like to maybe get one in 9mm someday.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Cabelas said they can special order it for a 20% down payment towards $749 and they have no idea how long it will take or I can wait for GT dist. where I am 8th on the list which could take up to 6 months (hopefully sooner) for $609. What would you guys do? Wait for GT or just pay more and order from Cabelas in hopes of getting it sooner? I did call Ruger and they said they have started upping productivity and so we might see more out sooner than later so...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well a LGS in Tomball is taking a waiting list with No deposit required, and said they are coming in with more regularity now. Needless to say I am all over it. They are also only charging $599 plus tax once it shows.

These people are a large dealer for Ruger, Kimber, and several others. So I imagine the wait list might be long but the wait time won't be. Should have done this a few months ago. GRRRRRRR..

I am sure most of the Houston Peeps know exactly which shop in Tomball I am talking about, and sadly no. Richard hasn't come back.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes!

Half the stuff in my safe has come from that shop in Tomball.

They are the ONLY store in this area that does not screw people on trades and they have crazy low prices.

I'd wait...they will get it in and are great people to deal with.

- brickboy240

1 - 20 of 43 Posts