Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally bought a XD9 for recreation/SD purposes. Now Im regretting it and wish I got a 45. Im on a tight budget and was thinking about one of the Armscor 1911s preferably RIA. Gonna go to my gunshop tomorrow to see how much I could get for the XD. Soooo should I do it??? What do yall think?

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I originally bought a XD9 for recreation/SD purposes. Now Im regretting it and wish I got a 45. Im on a tight budget and was thinking about one of the Armscor 1911s preferably RIA. Gonna go to my gunshop tomorrow to see how much I could get for the XD. Soooo should I do it??? What do yall think?
If you want close to real value for it sell it yourself. Don't trade it in.

I brought my XD9 Service in just to kick around a trade in and was offered $275.00 for a 6 month old gun with 200 rounds through it at the time and clean as could be. I saw another used XD9 Service in the used sale case at the shop with a $425.00 price tag.

·
Registered
815 Posts
dont expect much for ur XD. if ur selling to a dealer ull get anywhere from 260 to 300 for it! IMO not worth it since the RIA can be had for about 350 or less if u look in the right places. if i were u id just keep the XD since ull lose money on it and just save for the RIA. you could try to sell ur XD privately and will get alot more for it if u reall yjust wanna sell it! good luck!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
7-8 rounds of 45 is not better then 16 rounds of 9mm IMO. you can fit more grain weight into the 9mm and plus its going faster so if you figure the total energy the magazine contains then the 9mm wins but if it was an xd45 thats different since its 13 rounds.

odds are the 9mm double stack is more likely to be banned then a single stack 1911.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7-8 rounds of 45 is not better then 16 rounds of 9mm IMO. you can fit more grain weight into the 9mm and plus its going faster so if you figure the total energy the magazine contains then the 9mm wins but if it was an xd45 thats different since its 13 rounds.

odds are the 9mm double stack is more likely to be banned then a single stack 1911.
Im limited to 10 here in CA :cry: So an 8rnd magazine from a 45 is not much a difference to me. Just wondering if I should upgrade from the XD(if its an upgrade at all..)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wanted a 1911, but I bought an XD9 instead and I don't regret it. I still want the 1911, but I'm willing to wait for it. I bought the XD9 because it would be cheaper to shoot so it would be a good PD gun- paper defense!

@ sourpatch- OP is in CA, so I think his capacity is restricted to 10 rounds, which probably tips the scales towards the 1911.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Im limited to 10 here in CA :cry: So an 8rnd magazine from a 45 is not much a difference to me. Just wondering if I should upgrade from the XD(if its an upgrade at all..)
For SD purposes, I think proficiency with shot placement trumps a big ole caliber gun. 9mm is cheaper by far to shoot for practice and that will get you where you need to be in terms of experience.

Ask anyone who thinks that 9mm is too light for an SD round to stand in front of you and take a couple for the purposes of experimentation. Bullet speed is kind of a joke to use as a comparison IMO because no human can move fast enough to notice the difference. ;)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i wouldnt trade my xd for a kimber let alone a RIA

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you are looking for a more less expensive 1911 like i am cheack out the taurus pt1911 they even have a $75 rebate now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally I'd keep the XD. It's fun to shoot, accurate, easy handling, cheap to own as there is very little to go wrong. You don't say what size 1911 you want but on the cheaper end they are heavy, slightly bulkier and a little more expensive to fix, upgrade and to shoot. I reload and I can reload 1/2 again as many 9's as 45's for the same price. If you have to buy ammo it really hurts.

You've already taken the hit for depreciation on the XD. Keep the XD and save for a nice 1911. FWIW.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I probably will keep it over a RIA after handling one at the gunshop... Dont really like the finish. Might just save up and get an entry level Kimber or SA 1911. Thnx for the replies everybody it helped me out ;)

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I picked up a colt gunsite 1911. I have to say that I very much prefer my Xds. My favorite hg is my XD40 service. I am already considering selling the 1911 and I have had it less than 2 months.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Keep the XD9, add the Taurus PT1911 for $500 or so new (shop around), then, once you are hopelessly hooked on 1911s, you'll find a used Colt 1911 in great condition for $600-700 or thereabouts. Now you are in deep!

Re trade-ins versus selling on consignment versus selling person-to-person, say a certain gun is valued at $450 used in 98% condition. The gun shop might give you $250 in trade-in. Put it up for consignment at the same shop, you set your asking price and your (hidden) bottom price. The shop gets the best price they can, acting as your agent, and then takes 20% of the actual selling price. If your $450 value gun sells for $400 on consignment, you'll get $320. If you sell person-to-person, you have a chance at getting the $450 the gun is really worth.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I would stick with the XD. If you sell to a gunshop you will get hosed. 250.00 to 300.00 max for the XD. If you really want a 1911, save up and have 2 handguns

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
i sold my xd-9 to buy a 1911, i do like the 1911, but now i want an xd-45 too.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I'd keep the XD9. It's a very reliable gun. My son has it for HD also. Just get some good 147gr SD ammo: Speer Gold Dots, Win Ranger RA9T, Federal HST (P9HST2) just to name a few.
You can always get the 45 later. This is exactly what I did..first service 9 then XD45C. Shot placement is key.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i would not trade it for a 1911. i would never trade a reliable gun for one that may or may not give you trouble.

i have had 4 so far: 1 broke, 1 had to be sent back for rust issues (granted not a 1911 problem), 1 ($1200) is not reliable... i got 1 of the 4 that doesn't have any issues other than being cheaply made...

keep the XD and save for a nice Springfield Loaded, that's my opinion.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Keep the XD! I've got both XD's and 1911's. The XD's only real deficiency is in bulls-eye competition, where the 1911 trigger is the greatest advantage. Bide your time and save for the 1911. Meanwhile, enjoy and remain confident in your XD.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You've already taken the hit for depreciation on the XD. Keep the XD and save for a nice 1911. FWIW.
Exactly.

Now that I have another XD (9sc) I considered trading or selling my service. That lasted about 1/2 a second until I realized how reliable the gun has been.

One day I will get a 1911, but not at the expense of my uber reliable "cheap plastic gun".

1 - 20 of 31 Posts