Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have been lurking this forum as well as a couple of others trying to read as much as possible about reloading. I think it is something I would like to start doing but I still have some things holding me back from making the final plunge.

I understand that reloading doesn't necessarily save you money due to the fact that you will start to shoot more. I'm ok with this. I'll be alright with saving even a little money or spending about the same. I think it is an interesting hobby and would like to see something I adjust in my loads directly contribute to tighter groups when shooting.

I'm in the Navy and the ship I am stationed on gets deployed a lot so I don't know how often I'll be in port and able to use it. I might let my roomate use it when I'm gone. I don't shoot a whole lot but that's probably due to a busy work schedule and location of ranges. There are a couple of pistol-only ranges nearby but nothing for rifles. I have to wait for a buddy of mine to drive home on a weekend to shoot my rifles on his family's property.

I live in an apartment and don't have a workbench or shop or anything like that. I don't really have a problem with keeping a press in my room.

If I do start reloading I think I would get a progressive press either the Dillon 550/650 or Hornaday L-N-L. I say progressive because I like to have higher end stuff and convienance not associated with single stage presses and I know a lot of people start on single-stage presses and then upgrade to progressive, i'd rather just start with progressive and not have to upgrade.

I have never reloaded before or known anyone that has. I will be reloading .40, 9mm, 30-06, .223, and hopefully .45 or .44 magnum soon. I think reloading the 30-06 will help pay off the press more than any other caliber I own.($35 for a box of 20 silver-tips!)

There are a lot of experienced shooters and reloaders in this forum and I would like some of your opinions: if you think it is even worthwhile for me to start, do I really need a progressive press, are the choices I wrote good, anything else I might need to know.:confused::confused:

Also, we shoot a lot of 5.56 on my ship and just toss the brass into the ocean when we're done (also 7.62, .50 cal, 20mm, and 25mm) Would I be able to reload the 5.56 brass for my .223 M4 and the 7.62 in my buddie's .308?

Thank you in advance. I know it's a lot of questions in a somewhat long post but I've really been torn over the past couple days.(within millimeters of clicking on the purchase button) and would like you guys to help me make up my mind.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
DO NOT RELOAD. SEND EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TO ME:D

I was in the same boat as you. I was not sure that I could devote the time to reloading and then the cost of the press and so on.
What I did was I purchased a lee anniversary set, this had everything I needed to get me started with a single stage press. this would also make me learn every step of reloading.
I did this for a year and came across an RCBS 4x4 press for 100.00 and jumped on it. No I cannot load 500 rounds an hour but I sure can do around 300.
I currently reload for my 9mm and 40, but I also have all the components to reload for my 223 and 308 when I want to.

on the ship brass, you might have to see if the primer's are crimped in, if they are you will have to get a swager, no biggie.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in the same boat as you. .
Pun Intended??? Just Kidding.. Thanks for the reply.

I checked out the RCBS 4x4 you mentioned and now have another option on the table :smile: I guess I would have to browse classifieds and craigslist

To be honest I looked the most into the Hornaday L-N-L, something about it. I like the fact that it comes with 1000 bullets. Getting set up seems to be a little overwhelming. I think I need to just order everything for/start with one caliber, get used to it/become proficient, and then start on others.

Does anyone have any lessons learned or things they wish they knew when they were getting started??

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
My first recommendation would be for you to do is get a reloading manual does not matter which one Speer, Hornady, Sierra etc... I don't agree on getting the ABC'S of reloading as it does not have that much load data.
After you read thru the steps on reloading you can decide then if it's something you want to pursue and if it is the sky is the limit on presses and accessories I mean you have S/S, Progressive, Turret and then you get to pick which dies or mix and match, it really is up to you and how much you want to spend you can find some real good deals on presses from those that bought and then decided after awhile they wanted out.
There is no alchemy in reloading just stay away from home brew recipies and use several load manuals to get your data and stay within the published lines and you will be golden.
When and if you go for it I would suggest you start off on pistol rounds as they require less steps to produce and will give you the concept behind producing good ammo and after that move on to rifle.
When I started I read a manual cover to cover and jumped in all the way I purchased my 550 for .308 and 9mm and everything needed to do both which included some components and invested alittle over $1400 but like I said I purchased everything up front you don't have to spend this much you can get into this for just a few hundred but I made my choice based on space and the 550 in very compact and can crank out some large amounts of ammo
There are some vids on youtube in regard to a 550, the guy shows you how to set up and run a 550 (very well done) check it out also look here under reloading for advice as well as ar15.com under reloading
If you do get into this you will find out that you can custom tune ammo for your rifle or handgun at a tremendous savings and produce better quaility ammo.
Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Panther, I guess I'll order a manual now so it'll be waiting for me when I get back in port. I'm in no rush I just have the bug.

·
Registered
287 Posts
+1 on Panther. I would be the situation he is referring to about getting an inexpensive start. I bought a basic Lee Single stage press on Ebay for about $35 and bought dies off of Ebay as well. In all I think I have about $100 or so tied up in my new hobby. Also take a look at Modern Reloading 2nd Edition by Richard Lee. The book has a ton of load data for about every round imaginable. In my current job I have access to huge amounts of brass in commonly used calibers by police departments so, yes, collect whatever you can practically get and store. Above all be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I agree on getting a good reloading manual but The ABCs of Reloading is THE book for a new handloader. Lots of good stuff on metalic reloading. Down time on a ship, get one & read it. Best $20 you'll spend on your new hobby.
A progressive is a great, I load on two 550B, but it isn't NEEDED. It doesn't sound like you can shoot as much as you want right now, so a single stage setup would certainly get it done. The next level up would be Lee Turret, good prodcution, simple, cheap. I still use a single stage to do small batches & all of my hunting ammo. It's just not worth the setup hassle to change over to load 20rds of 06 to go to the range. So you'll always have a use/need for a good single stage. BTW, you always save money handoading, always. Regardless of how many rounds you shoot, your per round cost is always cheaper.
As far as limited space, I reloaded in a 24x36 coat closet while in college. It really doesn't take much room.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got my feet wet reloading with my dad when I was just a kid, on an RCBS Rock Chucker Jr., it really gives you an appreciation for a progressive press thats for sure. It sounds like your on the right track thought wise and personally I highly recommend the Dillon presses. I use a 550b so needless to say I'm biased. Not that other brands aren't just as good, but I spent about 3months researching options and the Dillon was where my money went. I also would recommend you contact, and yes you will talk to HIM on the phone, Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading he really helped me a lot with final desicions and little details I surely would have missed.

As far as your confined space goes, look here, on brian's forums and other sites with reloading forums and your almost assured to find some thread along the lines of "show us your reloading bench" with pictures galore. You'll get lots of great ideas as to your options with confined space and reloading benches.

Best of luck its a great great hobby and your brain is probably about to go into overload from information heh heh :twisted:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, I just ordered the Speer Reloading Book. The ABC's of reloading and the Lee book of Modern Reloading was sold out from Midway. The Speer Book looks big enough to tide me over for a while though. I checked out Brian Enos' forums. He seems to have a lot of dedicated patrons. If I ever decide to buy anything Dillon I'll definately order through him.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Alright, I just ordered the Speer Reloading Book. The ABC's of reloading and the Lee book of Modern Reloading was sold out from Midway. The Speer Book looks big enough to tide me over for a while though. I checked out Brian Enos' forums. He seems to have a lot of dedicated patrons. If I ever decide to buy anything Dillon I'll definately order through him.
The Speer is what I started with and then picked up the Sierra and Hornady also picked up a small manual from Loadbooks at a local Fun Show for .308
I still don't have the ABC one but if I can get one at a fair price and it's provides info I will pick it up.

Check Ebay for presses you would be amazed at what you can get and save some $$ in the process

Once you drink the Blue Koolaid you will never look back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts