Springfield XD Forum banner

Should I make my third gun a XD?

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Eric_Oh 
#1 ·
Great forum here fellas. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now, and I figured it was time for my first post...

Right now I own two handguns. I have a beretta 96FS 40cal that I really like and is a nice piece for the range. It currently serves as my beside gun and it looks pretty nice on my nightstand :D I also own a Taurus model 85 snub nose 38 which stays in my car(I live in louisiana and we don't need a conceal carry permit to keep them in the car). Within the next couple of months I will be purchasing my third handgun and I cannot figure out what to buy. I am stuck between some type of 1911 and a XD service model. The xd would replace my beretta as my bedside gun and I would do a good bit of plinking with it. I was thinking about getting a 9mm cause that winchester white box is so damn cheap at wal mart :D Should I get the xd or the 1911??? If I do go with the XD what finish should I get?? So many decisions LOL... Thanks

#2 ·
Hey fritz, welcome! I have a bi-tone service model and i absolutely love it. I learned about the xd because a friend used it as his off duty carry gun and i started to do some research on the web about it to see what peopel were saying. Thats when i came across this forum and have been here ever since. I think that if you go with the xd, you will be very pleased with it as are most. As for finish, i know that the xd's weakest point is probably the durability of fnish on their standard finish slides. That is why i opted to get the easier to maintain bi-tone stainless slide model and i am glad i did. its a great looking gun and maintenance is somewhat easier as well.

As for whether you should get this or a 1911, well i have no experience with 1911's so i couldnt say much about them. But we both know how much more affordable the xd is and that its an incredible value for its price. Still, i would like a 1911 for myself later on.

#6 ·
I selected my XD-9 tactical after much debating over a few months. I am VERY glad I chose the way I did. I'd highly recommend the 5" tactical model if you're not going to carry. I use mine as a bedside gun and range shooter (exactly what you want it for). It kicks a little less (overall recoil is only slightly less because of the heavier slide), is more easy to point, aim, and shoot accurately for most people, plusI believe their was a poll about which XD's we all owned on this board and only 20% or so own the XD-9 5". Join the club (you'd be one of the few and proud). I've now got exactly 500 rounds through it with ZERO problems of any kind. BTW, get the Blue Wonder Kit from pistol-gear.com and use the Armadillo to protect your slide and you won't have any finish problems to speak of. Buy the XD-9 tactical, it meets your needs perfectly. Get a 1911 later- they're not as reliable out of the box for your "bedside" purpose, and they coast a lot more to shoot. You won't regret your decision if you go XD. let us know when the order goes through! 8) nocalkind

#8 ·
my rational for buying the 9: 9mm= good performance as self defense round, good value for practice ammo= best balance price-wise for practice/range/self defense. 9mm also kicks a little less and is more readily available in a SHTF senario. Also, I'd only get the bi-tone if you like the look better. They rust too if not protected (yes stainless will rust). If you like the black get the armadillo from pistol-gear.com and you'll have no finish problems whatsoever. The so-called "rust problem" with XD is HIGHLY exaggerated. I don't believe my XD is any more prone to rust than any of my other guns. I've got a Remington 870 that really likes to rust, my XD doesn't worry me at all with the armadillo on there.

#9 ·
Hey Fritz,New here myself and I agree definatly a nice forum. I would say buy both.....but If your like me financialy thats not a practical possibility. I own a S&W 1911 and an XD9 both are outstanding pistols but that deal on the win.ammo gives the XD an edge in my book. I also enjoy the adaptability of the XD with the rail mount for lights and lasers. One thing that was a Huge plus for me was the grip angle of the XD it is alot closer to my S&W 1911 than any of the other 9mm hi caps that I tried.Good luck

#14 ·
bendable said:
If your in Arizona , Iam pretty sure every third hand gun has to be a revolver ( either single or double action )
Now if you have lived here for over five years ,I think they will let one more mag fed in ,
if thats the case an X D is a good choice.
are you serious or is that some sort of joke... ? lost...

#15 ·
This is just a personal opinion, so please nobody flame me, but I would not want a 1911 as my bedside home protection gun. I've seen too many 1911's jam over and over due to the steep angle of the feed ramp and I wouldn't want to put my life in the hands of a gun that has that particular flaw. I love shooting 1911, I love the historical value of the 1911, but for home protection go with the SA-XD or comparable Glock or Sig. My bedside gun was a .40 Glock 35 with M3 tactical light, but I'm moving the light over to my new SA-XD45 and making it my home protection pistol of choice.

#18 ·
I Just bought two of them and i would do it all over again. they are great pistols!

#19 ·
fritz20 said:
Should I get the xd or the 1911??? If I do go with the XD what finish should I get?? So many decisions LOL... Thanks
I don't think you'll be disappointed, regardless of the choice you make among the options you described. Personally, I shoot mostly for fun, so I'd pick a caliber different from those I already had.

Of course, given the nature of this board, I hope you weren't expecting to see a "no, don't do it" answer ).

T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.