Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
basically new to the handgun scene. i'm familiar with firearms; having served in the military, and hunted at one time.
a couple of months ago, a coworker sold me my very first handgun, an xd40. i've been addicted ever since. having some free time during the holidays, i decided to stop at our local lgs and for fun, rented an XDm9 and fell in love with it. the feel, recoil and overall performance was great, so needless to say, i ended up selling the XD40 i just purchased and bought an XDm9 4.5". in a few days, i will be taking my conceal carry class and get my license.
the more i think about it though, the 4.5" might be a bit bulky to carry. probably not this time of the year, but when it starts getting warm that is. granted, i'm not a big person: 5'6" 155lbs. i'm now looking at the XDm9 3.8". from what i've read in this forum, the performance is similar to its bigger brother (accuracy wise). since i just purchased the 4.5 not too long ago, i might be able to get a good deal at the same lgs should i decide to trade. my question is, is it worth trading the 4.5 for the 3.8? i'm not ready for the XDs line yet. what i have right now is pretty much going to be my everyday carry/home defense (although i do have a couple shotties for home defense as well). i'm planning on getting a 1911 in the future. i would love to hear everyone's opinion. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Keep it and save up for a 3.8. I went the opposite way, I have the 3.8 and want the 4.5. I had good intentions until another pistol got in the way.
Seriously, keep it but it's ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Keep it, lose to much money playing the trading game.think you found that out by selling your 40 but hope you made out ok. Besides you will be kicking yourself in the [email protected]@ later if you do. With your planning to buy a 1911 in the future statement , sounds like you have the bug so let them bear fruit and multiply . As they say around here, dress around your gun .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kinda even out on the 40, really. sold it for what i paid for, but i see what y'all saying.
joatmon, did you have the regular or compact 3.8", and is this your everyday carry?
sounds like you have the bug so let them bear fruit and multiply .
yup, lol. my initial thought was xdm9 for carry, and 1911 for home defense. primarily, that is. not that i wouldn't whatever's available should the SHTF.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you keep the 4.5 get the 3.8 compact. That way you still have a full size option but mainly have the compact option for carry. If you get the 3.8 with the full grip you will not be gaining anything over your 4.5 and might as well carry your 4.5.

Get a good belt that is designed to carry a gun and a good quality holster. I personally run an Alien Gear hybrid or a single clip kydex taco style for IWB, and a Raven Phantom for OWB. I use a DeSantis E25 belt. If you choose to keep your 4.5 and carry it for a while I would highly recommend a dual clip hybrid holster for IWB and a pancake syle either kydex or good leather for OWB. Both styles attach to your belt at 2 seperate points which helps to spread out the weight and pull the gun but in tighter.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My EDC is the XDm 4.5 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. The Supertuck allows me to easily conceal it even in jeans and a tucked-in T-shirt in the summer. I am 6'1" and 210 pounds. As noted in one of the posts, a good belt is also required. YMMV

·
Registered
126 Posts
kinda even out on the 40, really. sold it for what i paid for, but i see what y'all saying.
joatmon, did you have the regular or compact 3.8", and is this your everyday carry?

yup, lol. my initial thought was xdm9 for carry, and 1911 for home defense. primarily, that is. not that i wouldn't whatever's available should the SHTF.
I have the 3.8 Compact and it is one of my carry pistols. I rotate a little and with the cold temps here in Michigan, I have been carrying that and a full size CZ in a OWB holster. Also agree on a good belt.
Still wanting a 4.5 XDm though.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Agree that the 3.8 compact is more versatile with the ability to choose between short or long mags. I have one in 45 ACP and the 13 round magazine turns it into a FS grip. I carry it with the 9 round mag on a regular basis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for everyone's input! spxdsc and shultzie, thanks for the holster recommendations, as i'm still trying to figure on how am i going to carry my edc. i will be going to vance's tomorrow and compare the 4.5 and compact 3.8 side by side, and at the range. hopefully this'll help me decide which one is right for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the 3.8 and use an alien gear IWB holster. If your sole purpose is protection then you don't need a 50 inch barrel....remember should you need to protect yourself (and I pray you don't) you probably not going to be shooting any further than your home is long...whatever you have make sure you can shoot that distance otherwise it's all personal preference

·
Registered
58 Posts
FWIW you really should look at the XDs platform. I'm pretty close to your size and I find this to be the perfect platform. I love my XD but it's just too big to carry for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
nope, personally have short both, carried both. I see no rear gain to the 3.8 unless you carry appendix. Grip...maybe but even that is nil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
="pennsylvaniaboy, post: 4714923, member: 45960"]nope, personally have short both, carried both. I see no rear gain to the 3.8 unless you carry appendix. Grip...maybe but even that is nil.
thanks for everyone's feedbacks! i have since decided that i will be keeping the 4.5 for practice and HD, and am now looking hard at the XD mod for my CC. this might speed up my decision once i get my CHL on hand (got my certificate last week and turned in all the necessary paperworks a couple days ago).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The route I went was XDm 3.8 in 9 mil, then I purchased the full size .45 A1. Now the XDm is my main CC weapon and my A1 is my BMF pistol!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Spunjer,
You and I are pretty much the same size. I'm able to conceal my full sized XDm .40 with both my CBST and my Alien Gear holsters without problems; however, going with the compact will make it easier. You would be surprised how much of a difference that shorter grip makes. Longer barrels are not as big of a concern. I carry my XD .45 Compact Tactical (5") in my Alien Gear pretty OK. I wear it at 3 o'clock for driving with an over-shirt or jacket.

As others have recommended, I too say you should keep it and save up for the 3.8 also.

Might also want to look into single stacks like the XDs and, dare I say it? the M&P Shield. Seriously, there's nothing you need to do to be "ready" for the XDs. Simple manual of arms and extremely concealable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spunjer,
You and I are pretty much the same size. I'm able to conceal my full sized XDm .40 with both my CBST and my Alien Gear holsters without problems; however, going with the compact will make it easier. You would be surprised how much of a difference that shorter grip makes. Longer barrels are not as big of a concern. I carry my XD .45 Compact Tactical (5") in my Alien Gear pretty OK. I wear it at 3 o'clock for driving with an over-shirt or jacket.

As others have recommended, I too say you should keep it and save up for the 3.8 also.

Might also want to look into single stacks like the XDs and, dare I say it? the M&P Shield. Seriously, there's nothing you need to do to be "ready" for the XDs. Simple manual of arms and extremely concealable.
thx, katokahn! i have since decided to keep the 4.5". at the moment, i have my sight set on the xd mod for CC. also, thanks for the holster recommendation, since i've been looking around for one myself...

·
Registered
661 Posts
First off from one vet to another thanks for serving. I absolutely love shooting the XDM 3.8 compact. The 3.8 or 4.5 with the full size grip sticks out too much for me so Im in the same boat for CCW and shooting wise my smaller hands seem to grip the 3.8 compact much better. Id keep the 4.5 and get the 3.8. If money is an issue just know you'd be taking a good loss if you trade it in to a dealer and if you sell private you'd still take a loss but not nearly as much.

In the end its all about what works best for your situation. A 4.5 is great for some people who have no problems concealing it but for me the 3.8 works. Good luck whatever choice you make, hope you find a good balance.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts