Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first post here on this forum. I emailed one of the sales guys at Springfield to ask him about the xd sub-compact, because that is what I want and he sent me to this forum to see what other owners are saying about it. The first time I looked at the posts, everything looked cheery and great, but today I have seen a lot of post about cracking blocks, jams and other bad things. I am selling my CZ RAMI for this gun because the RAMI sucks. It jams about 10 times per box of ammo(50 rnds.) Even the master gunsmith Mike at CZ admits that the problem can't be fixed. So, I want an xd. But should I commit to buying one? I want reliablility over looks, and while the xd sure looks cool, should I just buy a Glock instead? Will my future xd be destined to crack, rust and jam, or is that just what the minority of people have experienced. I am a clean freak when it comes to weapons, so if I keep the gun clean, will I effectively prevent the aforementioned problems from happening? Thanks in advance for your replies! 8)

·
Registered
354 Posts
make sure you get the newer model and you will be fine.

I bought mine b/c of the great things people had to say on this site, and have yet to have any problems(including rust) in over 1400 rounds.

fondle the XD and the BLOCK(glock), and see which one feels "right for you.

The XD has a LIFETIME WARRANTY!!

the newest version has the predrilled "stress holes very noticeablely(sp?) drilled in the locking block, and there are also 2 rails on the frame instead of one. I believe that the rust issue has also been taken care of in the newer models as mine has sat in teh trunk for 3-4 days in 80% humidity and never showed rust.

welcome to the site!

·
Registered
539 Posts
After having my trigger bar spring crap out on me, i've learned that guns, like all other mechanical items will at some point have problem. That having been said, i think i would still buy the xd if i had to do it all over again. Its a great gun because nothing fits better in my hand, it looks great, shoots everything i feed it, and has a bunch of safety features i appreciate.

WIth regard to your question, yes i think good maintenance can effectively prevent corrosion. I just made it easier for me entirely by getting the bitone model since its a little bit more resistant to corrosion.
(Yes, guys i know stainless can rust too, but not as easily)

As for the locking block cracking, it hasn't happened yet to my xd, but if it does, i know that i can easily ship it out to SA for a replacement free of charge thanks to their lifetime warranty.

Try it out at the range, if you like how it shoots, then get it. I thoroughly enjoy mine.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:04 pm Post subject: Should I commit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But should I commit to buying one? Thats your choice.

I want reliability over looks, and while the xd sure looks cool, should I just buy a Glock instead? Have you shot one, have you shot a Glock? which fits / feels better.

Will my future xd be destined to crack, rust and jam, or is that just what the minority of people have experienced. Will it crack? We can't answer that, it may and it may not. If it does they will fix it for you. Many more XD owners here that do not have any cracks then ones who do. Will it rust? We cant answer that for you either, but I can say that I have multiple layers of Armadillo on mine and wear it Mexican style. I have ACID sweat, but no rust. Will it jamb? It might, until you find out what type of ammo it likes and polish the feed ramp IF it needs it.

I am a clean freak when it comes to weapons, so if I keep the gun clean, will I effectively prevent the aforementioned problems from happening? Sadly, I have not cleaned mine in awhile, but after carrying it the other night took a look at it the next day, no rust, no finger prints.

The most important thing is, what do you like better when you hold it in your hand and which feels more comfortable to you?

Personally, I would go with the XD, but that is my choice because it fits my hand well and I POA is great and comfortable.

Oh yea, welcome to the gun nut site!
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've had an XD-9SC for almost 2 years now and no problems whatsoever. Had the XD-40 Service for about a year, and again, no problems. My son's XD-9SC is also no problems. Granted there are some that have exhibited an issue here and there, but remember, people are more vocal about a problem than they are about none. For every problem you read about there are many, many more that are trouble free.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the site. I myself have recently purchased an XD sub-compact and I am very impressed with it. As mentioned in a previous thread, a board dedicated to a singular gun model is going to produce threads about some issues that people have experienced, but the defects are really a part of a small sample. I have owned a Glock 23 (.40 cal, compact) for Two years now and have had nothing but success with it. I was in the market for a sub-compact gun with decent safety features and a good feel to it (the XD's Glock equivalent is the Glock 27). When it came down to it, the XD just fit my hand better, and I like the added grip safety lock featured on the XD. As many have already said, it is just personal preference, but I don't think you will be disappointed with either brand.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm sure if you go over to the Glock, Sig, or H&K forums you will see some negative post. I've owned 3 XD's and have had nothing but good from them.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
XD reliability. I've seen a lot of post about how people have had problems.

Well I beat the hell out of my gun, I shoot it a tremendous amount compared to most shooters, rapid fire drills to slow fire. I treat my gun as a (defensive) tool, and when I hear people complain about the finish wearing off and their gun losing the "pretty" factor, I just have to laugh at them. I've put just about every type of ammo through my gun. The only time I've ever had problems was when my gun FTE'd because of a bad batch of ammo from WWB. That same ammo caused my friends G17 fail to extract 3 times.

Anyway, the gun is generally solid and if something is wrong with it, SA will fix it. Their customer service beats a lot of whats out there right now. Also don't fall into the trap of "glocks are invincible either." I know of peoples Glocks that fail and have had problems too. Like all mechanical items, things break down, whether it has a Glock logo or an SA logo.

Bottom line, an XD or a Glock will both serve as very good defensive tools/firearms/handguns, whatever. Plus they are fun to shoot.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I own 2, one 40 service, and the SC in the same... the sc shot 4" low.. sent it back to S.A. last friday, and I'll have it back on this friday, after they changed out the rear sight.

thats nuff for me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did manage to get my hands on a 9mm version of the compact this past weekend and it feels great. The sight picture is awesome! You bring it up, and you can get it pointed at your target so fast! I just wanted to know what you guys would say in regards to my question. I do feel comfortable enough with what you guys have all said. I have a gun shop that I am going to next week that is going to buy my piece-of-crap CZ RAMI and sell me a .40 S&W sub-compact with the optional holster, two standard mags and an extended mag. Two questions: What do you guys think of the holster? If it is good, I will probably only use it at the range, as my post-name implies, I prefer inside-the-waist band holsters for concealability. Also, how many rounds in .40 S&W does the extended mag hold? I know it holds 15rnds in 9mm... Thanks again guys! :D I will be part of the Springfield family next week! 8)

·
Registered
409 Posts
the 40 sub holds 12+1 and 9+1

I don't like the plastic holsters. I use a galco (think its a high ride) leather pancake holster for the range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have already ordered an inside the waist band holster from highnoonholsters.com. The only problem is that the holsters are completely custom. This means you can expect to wait up to 10 months for your order to arrive at your door. I had one ordered for my RAMI, but then I decided to sell it, and I called them and changed my pending order for the same thing molded to the shape of the xd instead. You can see it at the following link: If any of you have heard of this company, what do you think of their products?
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Split_Decision/split_decision.html
8)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Highnoon makes great holsters I have the Tailgunner for my 1911, but like all great holster makers it takes awhile. Lucky for you Uncle Mike's makes a inexpenseve IWB holster for abot $10, and you can get then in about any gun shop. There are some Kydex holsters out there for around $40-$60, some cheaper, but most places that list them have them in stock. This the one I'm using untill I get my Milt Sparks.
http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=10H&cat=22

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Congrates I have three great XD's.
I like the www.comp-tac.com c.t.a.c.
Great iwb and excellent customer service I laid on moine and broke the front clip off on a door jam and even though I bought it second hand I sent it and had a replacment in three days :shock:

·
Registered
81 Posts
tec said:
I want reliability over looks, and while the xd sure looks cool, should I just buy a Glock instead? Have you shot one, have you shot a Glock? which fits / feels better.
Most importantly which do you shoot better?

Will my future xd be destined to crack, rust and jam, or is that just what the minority of people have experienced. Will it crack? We can't answer that, it may and it may not. If it does they will fix it for you. Many more XD owners here that do not have any cracks then ones who do. Will it rust? We cant answer that for you either, but I can say that I have multiple layers of Armadillo on mine and wear it Mexican style. I have ACID sweat, but no rust. Will it jamb? It might, until you find out what type of ammo it likes and polish the feed ramp IF it needs it.
There will be a 30% chance your gun will suck, and a 60% chance you won't have to many problems. Seems like shitty odd's to me. Oh and yeah, springfield will fix it for you. you wont have your gun for a month. So you better have another one to carry while it's away.

The most important thing is, what do you like better when you hold it in your hand and which feels more comfortable to you?
See above, comfort is not the ultimate monkey. Reliabity, and your ablity to quickly place accurate shots with it are.

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
crofrog said:
There will be a 30% chance your gun will suck, and a 60% chance you won't have to many problems.
complete bs here, the poster has no idea what the percentages of guns have problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
pdjplano said:
crofrog said:
There will be a 30% chance your gun will suck, and a 60% chance you won't have to many problems.
complete bs here, the poster has no idea what the percentages of guns have problems.
I'm using the only data available to base that statment on. Where is any of your data? That's right you have even less than me.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have noticed that most people that have been posting to this particular topic have had nothing but positive things to say. As with all areas in life, there are some that just aren't happy and aren't afraid to let everyone know. 8)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Inside the Pants said:
I have noticed that most people that have been posting to this particular topic have had nothing but positive things to say. As with all areas in life, there are some that just aren't happy and aren't afraid to let everyone know. 8)
If you made up your mind, you made up your mind. You asked for comments. If you as you say value reliablity over all. The HK's, Sig's and GLOCKs have a much more proven track record on that issue.

If the gun is not for defensive use, or you just don't care about uber reliablity. The XD is adquate.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
:roll:
Eh...Give us a few years. The Croation Army's HS2000 has a proven track record. It hasn't been in the US too long but its quickly building a following and a reputation for reliability. It goes bang when I pull the trigger, and goes where I aim(more or less, I am a lousy shot), what more can I ask of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts