Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this topic raised by people who are looking into getting their first gun.

My answer is that if it's going to break you, don't buy the gun. Don't buy anything outside of your means. If you're a young, single, childless person, you could save to buy up a really nice firearm and it wouldn't hurt you nearly as much as you'd think.

You could stay home on the weekends, eat some cheap stuff for your meals (I used to eat two teaspoons of peanut butter for supper when saving for a gun, and my username is not false advertising, I'm a fat son of a gun).

You can save up and get a good gun.

The reason this topic came to mind is that I saw someone mention wanting a Sig in another topic, and the qualifier of "it's expensive" came up.

It is expensive. I personally think you'd be as well served with cheaper guns (M&P, GLOCK, XD, etc.). BUT... if you want a Sig, what you'll do is, you'll buy, say a Ruger *now* because it's cheaper. Then you'll hear that Sig calling your name and you'll sell the Ruger and get... oh well, hey, there's a Beretta used for a few hundred less! Let me try that.

And then you'll end up spending a few thousand dollars on trade ins and buy offs when you could have just plunked down for the Sig in the first place.

Not that that's a bad thing. It's part of the experience, to be honest.

Anyway, just a thought.

·
Registered
107 Posts
cause I'm a hick in Georgia and really skinny .
I want to buy a BIG gun .
I was thinking about maybe a .45 .
But I'm afraid the kick will be to much for me . I only way 145 pounds . I think it might knock me over .
So , what do you think ??

Group hug anyone ? :shock:

·
Registered
602 Posts
cause I'm a hick in Georgia and really skinny .
I want to buy a BIG gun .
I was thinking about maybe a .45 .
But I'm afraid the kick will be to much for me . I only way 145 pounds . I think it might knock me over .
So , what do you think ??
An XD45 has a pretty mild recoil.

My 12 year old son is able to fire it without problem.

If you plan on carrying it though, keep in mind that weight matters more than size in CCW.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Exactly the correct thought process ..............

Saveup for what you want, quit comprmising, and delaying the inevitable.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I see this topic raised by people who are looking into getting their first gun.

My answer is that if it's going to break you, don't buy the gun. Don't buy anything outside of your means. If you're a young, single, childless person, you could save to buy up a really nice firearm and it wouldn't hurt you nearly as much as you'd think.

You could stay home on the weekends, eat some cheap stuff for your meals (I used to eat two teaspoons of peanut butter for supper when saving for a gun, and my username is not false advertising, I'm a fat son of a gun).

You can save up and get a good gun.

Very good points. If I may add some thoughts:
Why are you buying the gun?
How much does accuracy matter? Are you buying it for combat shooting, or bullseye competition?
What do you consider expensive?
Will a lesser expensive gun do everything the expensive one will at about the same quality?
I personally, for my use, I would rather have the xdm I own than a more expensive Wilson, or Kimber. The reason is simple; the xdm does everything I want a pistol to do.

The reason this topic came to mind is that I saw someone mention wanting a Sig in another topic, and the qualifier of "it's expensive" came up.

It is expensive. I personally think you'd be as well served with cheaper guns (M&P, GLOCK, XD, etc.). BUT... if you want a Sig, what you'll do is, you'll buy, say a Ruger *now* because it's cheaper. Then you'll hear that Sig calling your name and you'll sell the Ruger and get... oh well, hey, there's a Beretta used for a few hundred less! Let me try that.

And then you'll end up spending a few thousand dollars on trade ins and buy offs when you could have just plunked down for the Sig in the first place.

Not that that's a bad thing. It's part of the experience, to be honest.

Anyway, just a thought.
This is good advice, now if I may add some thoughts:
Why are you buying a gun?
will a less expensive gun do the same thing the more expensive gun will do?
Is accuracy real important? Are you combat shooting, or bullseye shooting?
I personally would rather have my xdm than a more expensive Wilson or Kimber. The reason is simple; the xdm will do everything I want a pistol to do, so why spend the additional hard earned money?

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's how I think about it.I had all the money for my first AR15 then blew my knee out at work. Had to suck it up and spend the money on surgery insted

·
Registered
29,619 Posts
This is good advice, now if I may add some thoughts:
Why are you buying a gun?
will a less expensive gun do the same thing the more expensive gun will do?
Is accuracy real important? Are you combat shooting, or bullseye shooting?
I personally would rather have my xdm than a more expensive Wilson or Kimber. The reason is simple; the xdm will do everything I want a pistol to do, so why spend the additional hard earned money?
Same line of reasoning as "Why get a Corvette, when a Prius will transport me from point A to point B just as well...":rolleyes:

·
Registered
957 Posts
As in life, some people have learned to compromise. Life is too short to second guess the "what could have beens". I've taught my children, if you want something bad enough, make it happen. Why settle?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
You only live once, make it happen. Don't live outside your means but it's just a gun. Granted some guns are very expensive but if it's what you want, get it!!!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Then, you have the people who can't shoot the Ruger they bought with any kind of accuracy, and they think that buying a Sig will make them able to shoot (because they read about how Sigs are the bee's pajamas), so they sell the Ruger at a loss because they just have to sell it right now and buy a gun for twice what they spent on the Ruger, and still can't shoot.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I learned this lesson early in my gun collection years. Bought a cheaper version shotgun because it was $75.00 less then the fancy grade with the engraved receiver. I had always wanted a fancy shotgun like grandpa used and I regretted not getting the one I really wanted over that small of a price tag. I learned that waiting to save up the extra cash was worth getting what I really wanted.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This is like the dilemma a lot of people encounter in dieting. You're on a diet, and self-discipline is coming hard. You want a little piece of chocolate cake. You think that's bad, so you eat some celery. That doesn't satisfy your need for the cake. You have some cottage cheese, then some yogurt. Not good enough. You try other things. You finally break down and have the cake, then feel bad about failing, plus you've eaten all that other crap. Just have the cake. Don't make a habit of it if it's counterproductive to you, but this time, just do it, and don't feel bad.

I started out with something cheap because I had to at the time, a 1911 copy, still have it in fact. I've gotten several nice ones since, nothing "luxury" per se, but nice. Haven't made myself feel bad once. That's the key.

If you think you're in danger, get what you can, now. Sort the rest out later. If you're not in such a hurry, evaluate your requirements and your desires and figure out what will satisfy them. Save up if you have to, and get it. Don't regret a compromise, and don't regret satisfying yourself.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
My problem is there are to many guns I want, and can't afford any of them. I've been putting money away every paycheck, but I'm still torn. Here's what I've been looking at:

.45's: xd tac, rock island & auto ordnance 1911s, fnp45.

9mm: xdm, fnp/x, maybe a glock.

Rifles: enfield #4mk1, mosin m44

Shotguns: weatherby pa08.

Not to mention all the revolvers I've looked at too. I guess I need to pick one, and stick with it, buy it, and start the process over.

·
Registered
725 Posts
:) Gives you a lot to look forward to. If you're looking at Enfields, there are a couple of Ishapore versions from India that were redesigned and chambered originally in 7.62x51, which should be easier to find than .303. I have the "jungle carbine" version, and even managed to finagle a scope mount. Pretty much meets the definition of the "scout rifle" they talk about. Have fun with it, man.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I just can't fathom posting on a forum like this and asking somebody whether I should do something or not. I might ask somebody's opinion of a firearm, reloading press, etc., but not what action I should take regarding the purchase of anything! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A year ago or so, I thought that the HK USP was the ****. I had saved up to buy it, bam $657 car repair. So after renting a **** load of guns, I bought an XD. In my experience since then, I've found that just because a gun has a premium price, doesn't always mean its worth the money. I have been extremely disappointed with kimbers and sigs. I rented a 226 and a some kimber full size, and I shot the pants off of them with my xd. However, I also shot a usp, and damn I love that gun. I had the money this summer, but decided that for the price of a new one I'd buy my next favorite gun, the px4 (which maybe my favorite now) and the remmy 887. @ guns for price of one? hell yeah. The only pistol in my hands thats more accurate than my px4 is my model 10.

Hell, I'm rambling now. Bottom line___buy what you shoot well and feels good in your hands, not what people tell you is the coolest thing out there. Everyone has their own opinion. Ford vs Chevy Glock vs Xd vs M&P Remington vs Mossberg vs benelli etc.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just can't fathom posting on a forum like this and asking somebody whether I should do something or not. I might ask somebody's opinion of a firearm, reloading press, etc., but not what action I should take regarding the purchase of anything! :rolleyes:
Agree, but I can see someone who is just getting into guns coming to a gun forum and asking for input on different guns that they (the new person) has read about.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Ive gotten over the variety issue. I've recently accepted that I have guns that serve a purpose. I have a nightstand handgun, 3 ccw handguns, a sentimental (first gun) handgun, and a two range handguns. They are all tools or for recreation. Aside from wanting a glock 19, I have all the pistols I'll ever need!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ive gotten over the variety issue. I've recently accepted that I have guns that serve a purpose. I have a nightstand handgun, 3 ccw handguns, a sentimental (first gun) handgun, and a two range handguns. They are all tools or for recreation. Aside from wanting a glock 19, I have all the pistols I'll ever need!
I dont need any more firearms ever! But I just want one more, but that one looks cool, better get that, oh yeah I have always like that one, and I cant live with out.......:mrgreen:

I'm a collector.........very few of my guns are "tools"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts